All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
eating for IBS and endo. Worried about Med.
      #293919 - 12/16/06 04:28 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

I just had a laporoscopy 3 days ago and have Endometriosis. I found a book called eating for endo. and it is almost exactly the same as eating for IBS and they talk about how alot of women who have Endo also have IBS. In this cookbook it says coconut oil is a nessesity for both. They say that new studies show it even though it is high in fat it has digestive healing elements. I didn't know if anyone else heard this. There is a whole page on how good it is for digestion. I thought we were to stay away from coconut and coconut oil. Any thoughts? Has any one been on Lupron? I am nervous becaus since my surgery my IBS D. has been a little out of control and now this med. will put me into menopause. I am only 28 and have to take this for 6 months and then I will come back out of it. I have heard menopause makes IBS worse with hormone changes. Scared!

--------------------
KELLY

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: eating for IBS and endo. Worried about Med. new
      #294016 - 12/18/06 06:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Coconut and coconut oil are high in fat. That doesn't mean you must avoid them totally under the EFI Guidelines but that you should eat them carefully. Heather's recommends no more than 25% of calories come from fat but you can certainly get some of those calories from coconut. Just treat coconut as you would any other fat: make sure you have a good Soluble Fiber base and eat it in moderation.

There was a discussion a while back about tropical oils in general. If you Search you may be able to find that. As for coconut, the idea that it's good for your digestive tract - and good for D in particular - has been around for a while. For example, there are people who insist it's relieved their post-chemotherapy diarrhea. A coconut macaroon after dinner sounds like a nice medicine to me.

You can also Search both on the Diet Board and on the Living Room board for endometriosis. This has come up a number of times. This post in particular has a lot of info on it, including a surgical treatment option: web page. The link to the Center for Endometriosis Care reviews all the treatment options, including Lupron. Their discussion of Lupron doesn't discuss IBS but it does seem to have a long list of side-effects.

I don't remember hearing that menopause makes IBS worse but anything that fiddles with your hormones can affect your IBS.

As for being scared of taking the Lupron, I don't want to interfere between you and your gynecologist, but you've only known for 3 days that you have endometriosis. Surely you can take a little more time and do some more research - maybe even get a second opinion - before deciding on a treatment for your endo.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: eating for IBS and endo. Worried about Med. new
      #294063 - 12/18/06 01:34 PM
Kelly5

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: ILLINOIS

Thanks for the info. We knew before the surgery & they kept putting me on Birth control. THis didn't work. I am looking into other options and see my dr. tonight. thanks again.

--------------------
KELLY

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4907 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review