All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
OTC treatment for intestinal parasites?
      #293433 - 12/13/06 09:04 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

This is the only thing I haven't been tested for, my Dr wouldn't do it b/c he didn't think it was a concern. I had a run-in w/my manager yesterday that stressed me out & my tummy's been cramping ever since. I just brushed it off as IBS. I took Bentyl but it's not helping. I've been having problems for the past few weeks, pain/cramping, always in the same spot in my abdomen. I've been very careful about my diet, exercising as often as I can, but it's not stopping, no matter what I eat it still hurts & it's getting worse. I've been thinking lately that it may not just be IBS. I have a Dr's appt this afternoon, but what if he still won't do the test? I did a search on this and there are a lot of OTC "treatments" available. Are any of them safe? Do they actually work? Has anyone ever tried any of them? I don't want to spend that much money if it's not going to work.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: OTC treatment for intestinal parasites? new
      #293447 - 12/13/06 09:44 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

there are lots of good parasite cleanses from the HFS, most will contain wormwood and black walnut, they are safe, but you may want to opt for the one that you take fro the longest amount of time as it might be gentler, paragone form renewlife is a good one.

#293459 - 12/13/06 10:31 AM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Apparently the traditional parasite testing only detects 20% of parasites, that may be why few doctors do it. They are more common than we know or realize, and I would agree with Miso's suggestion to do something longer term and gentler...stay away from anything with aloe, cascara sagrada and senna. They really get the colon spasming!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

#293505 - 12/13/06 01:47 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I went to the HFS & found the paragone, but it was $35 for a 15-day supply, so I didn't get it. I just ordered another brand online that has wormwood, cloves, & black walnut, it was only $12 for the same amount, I should have it in a week or so. Hopefully I'll see some results.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#293506 - 12/13/06 01:54 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You might look through this old thread and see if there's a doctor listed near you. Maybe you can find one who will take testing more seriously.

As for parasites, my understanding is that it may take up to 3 stool sample tests to rule them out.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5574 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review