All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
is my job damning me, and my mom is terrified!
      #293380 - 12/12/06 07:28 PM
alexisb

Reged: 12/10/06

already posted 2 questions today..heres a couple more.
I am a manager at a collection agencie, my job is nothing but stress. i manage 30 collection agents, have a boss that loves to be the good guy so if he sees someone doing something wrong, he acts buddy buddy with them, and runs to tell me that they are doing something wrong and makes me do the dirty work. He is the owners son, so it makes my employees think that since he seemed fine with it, then i am just on a power trip!! also, the main part of my job is to keep fully staffed, which is difficult when the turn over rate at a job like this is sky high (due to the nature of the job and stress that it brings!!) i am constantly interviewing, hiring, training, taking calls from irate customers that one of my agents pissed off, learning about and updating procedures for all the changing laws, not to mention dealing with goals and quota's during Christmas is fun too, when most people would rather go all out on presents than pay their past due bills.. i came into this position this last Feb 06 when the last manager got fired.. every day of my life is gauranteed to be stressful. do you think i am doomed?? is it my job that is making this worse?

My 2nd part of this epic drama, is that i just barely started trying to explain the severity of this to my mom. She is a nurse, and very protective. I have always been very skinny, she always used to think i was anorexic but i have never been. i love food! cant get enough of it! but today (after she tricked me into going to the mall with her and it brought on some anxiety) i began telling her about the ibs diet. i dont know much about it yet, but she was insanely worried that restricting my diet is going to make me lose weight and i wont be getting enouch protein or nutrients.. i am 24, 5'2 and 110lbs. which isnt that skinny to me, just petite. although shes a nurse, i dont think she really understands my frustration anyway, and her being frustrated with me about watching what i eat doesnt help.. how can i reassure her, and what protein can i eat? i am waiting on my starter kit, im sure that will help answer alot, but from the break the cycle diet..seems like not much protein, if any! oh yes, and by the way..i also get hypoglycemic, and have to balance protein and carbs and eat several times a day, otherwise i get shakey, and of course ANXIETY!! these past few days i have only been eating rice and crackers and sometimes tryign to slip in peanuts or peanut butter. today i had a slice of combo pizza and felt an attack coming on at work so i had to load up on immodium! i was very disappointed in myself..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is my job damning me, and my mom is terrified! new
      #293382 - 12/12/06 07:58 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

On the second half of your question:
Unintended weight loss can happen. I lost ten pounds on this diet at first - ten pounds I didn't need to lose. That left me 5'0" and less than 95 pounds. My parents were concerned when I visited them over Thanksgiving. I was eating enough protein and vegetables, just not enough overall calories - apparently I hadn't properly compensated for the sizable reduction in fat.
Keep up with the multiple meals/snacks. Maybe add one more to your day? I started eating an extra snack every afternoon, and I'm steadily working my way up to where I should be. More information on gaining weight can be foundhere
The BTC diet isn't meant to be followed for more than 2-3 days. After that, you should slowly start incorporating protein and IF foods with care (always eat them with SF). You could try mixing chicken breast in with your rice, for example. A little hummous on your crackers should be okay, too. Fish is good for protein, too. How about bagels and lox, with soy cream cheese?
The diet can be restrictive at first, but as you stabilize, you should be able to incorporate enough protein and IF to keep yourself healthy. Hope things get better soon.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293383 - 12/12/06 08:04 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I can't comment too much on the job info. but I wanted to tell you not to be disappointed in yourself about eating the pizza, just know that each time you "cheat" you will be one step further away from getting stable. You are just at the beginning so you'll really need to be strict at first, and also the break the cycle diet is just temporary so it's not going to make you lack nutrients in the long run...it's just to get your system settled down. Once you start the SF, you can start to slowly add in IF fruits and vegetables, but proteins seem to be easier/less risky to add in so you can be sure to eat chicken, turkey, try peanut butter, fish, etc...and that should reassure your mom. Do a search on "nutrients" and "vitamins" and you will see threads where people discuss if they are getting enough of "this" or "that", myself included. (I now take a calcium supplement since I'm not drinking milk). It sounds like people who are stable eventually learn how to really "round out" their diets so that they are eating nutritionally sound but IBS safe meals. Heather's book of recipes is a good example of that but some things in there with IF still make me a little nervous b/c I am new at this so our bodies will have to just be a little shy on the perfect diet until we see what we can handle.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#293416 - 12/13/06 07:09 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Alexisb: I can tell you that my job is also stressful, even seems that I have the same problem as you in one case. My boss, who is the general manager, will get upset about something that has happened in the office and tell me since I am the controller and I will have to deal with the problem. In the meantime he makes a comment and everyone thinks it is me being a harda$$. I know that this summer I went through a period and took a long look at my job and was prepared to quit if I had to. I just deceided that less money to spend was a small price to pay for relief of the pain. As luck would have it the work place settled down since there were several issues that have worked themselves out. But I am ready to leave if necessary. My health is more important than any job. But I do a lot of soul searching to get to that point.
Also, on the weight loss I can tell you that I am overweight so losing weight is something I needed to do. In Jan of this year I found out I had mild diabetes so I went on a healthier eating plan. I lost a little weight but my stomach was messed up all the time. So when diagnosed with ibs later I had to once again change my eating habits. My husband sometimes get concerned since I eat a lot of rice, bread/toast, english muffins and things like that. But my stomach hurts less and my bowels stay semi stable. All I can say is that it works and I do still keep a check on my blood glucose. I also take fiber so I think I am covering all the bases. Guess I will find out in Jan when I have my physical and fasting blood glucose.
Hope this helps

#293426 - 12/13/06 08:43 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I can identify with you about the weight loss. I have always had trouble keeping weight on, even when I was able to eat big portions. It really annoys me when people either imply or suggest that I have an eating disorder. I love food! Prior to starting the EFI diet, I was on an anti-candida diet (no sugar, yeast or fruit) which was very restrictive but also quite high in (good) fat, so not helpful for my IBS. Yes, the EFI diet is low fat so some weight loss could be expected, but to me, feeling so much better and having less pain more than makes up for that.

I eat three smallish meals and three snacks a day, and I incorporate my IF fruits & veggies with a good SF base each time. I try not worry about my weight. I have found that since the bloating has gone, I seem even thinner (!) but have more energy. Everybody is different - it's how you feel that matters, and this way of eating is definitely the most helpful for my IBS that I have found.

a positive update! new
      #293753 - 12/14/06 08:33 PM
alexisb

Reged: 12/10/06

well its been about a week since i have found this website. i have been on the break the cycle diet and today is the first day in 10 days that i feel normal again!! i just barely got my acacia, books, and hypnosis cd's in the mail today. but i have been jogging on my new treadmill everyday (early xmas present!) and getting plenty of rest. unfortunately i have lost 5 pounds already.. now that i've got my books hopefully i can incorporate more foods into my diet!! thanks for the replies, im sure you all know how much it helps to have people to talk to about this!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 720 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 960

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review