All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wine and liquor
      #293325 - 12/12/06 02:35 PM
Nancy L

Reged: 12/12/06

The worst attacks I have had are after drinking first red wine one night, switched to white another, tho will admit bit too much(at home!not driving) Last week I had vodka and orange juice, again too much as was poured for me, beyond my own pouring amount. Several times have had very bad attacks, 5-6 bouts of diahrea a few hours later. Sure disrupts the night sleeping!
Is this a known aggravation, even with or after a meal? Food does not seem to affect me, but this puts a crimp in the social life especially at Xmas/New Years.
Don't recall reading anything about this on the site. Lots of coffee, or tea, do not bother me, but have tried to avoid or have small portions of the food aggravents.
Any thoughts, hate to give up the odd social drink and spent the whole night in the bathroom! Have read and printed a great deal of info from this site and found it very informative
Nancy L

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wine and liquor new
      #293337 - 12/12/06 04:07 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Unfortunately alcohol and coffee are triggers for IBS. It is best to completely eliminate them, but during the holidays if you must have some, try having maybe half a glass (only) after a safe meal. If you want to not have an attack, don't have any alcohol or coffee!

Taken from this site, on the list of trigger foods (at the bottom half of the page):

"Warning! GI Irritants
These foods and beverages offer no IBS benefits but plenty of risks. Avoid them.

Coffee ~ both regular AND decaf contain an enzyme that's an extremely powerful GI tract irritant. Go cold turkey today and drink herbal teas instead.

Caffeine is a GI stimulant and should be avoided, especially in higher doses.

Alcohol is a GI irritant and often triggers IBS attacks, especially on an empty stomach (though small amounts of alcohol used in cooking are fine).

Carbonation in soda pop and mineral water can cause bloating and cramps.

Artificial sweeteners, particularly sorbitol, can trigger pain, cramps, gas, bloating, and diarrhea.

Artificial fats, namely Olestra, can cause abdominal cramping and diarrhea in people who don't even have IBS – imagine what it can do to you.

MSG has acquired lots of ugly anecdotal evidence against it regarding all sorts of digestive upsets. It can simply be avoided, so why take a chance?"

--------------------
Kat

Re: Wine and liquor new
      #293373 - 12/12/06 06:28 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/

Click on the links for more info. Hope it helps.

What K2 said is correct.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 563

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review