All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bread
      #293285 - 12/12/06 09:54 AM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

Okay, so I am trying to buy the right kind of bread for my lovely IBS-A, leaning more towards C, body. I have been eating whole wheat and whole grain for a while now, but after reading this website (and the book) it seems I should cut down on the whole wheat/grain and go with white breads. Is this correct?

I was trying to read on the overall health benefits of white vs wheat and everything I read says "wheat is healthier", but in the case of IBS it is not? I am just wanting to get clarication from other IBS sufferers so that I can continue to make positive changes to my diet.
Because of IBS, I became a vegetarian in May... and it has improved the way I feel greatly. I have started to cut out dairy milk and replaced that with soy milk (I like the taste much better anyway), and I am still trying to learn other tricks that will help me, and I found myself in the bread aisle at the grocery store for way too long last night, so any advice is greatly appreciated! :-)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bread new
      #293288 - 12/12/06 10:11 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Yup, white is better for IBS. The IF in whole wheat is too much for our tummies and can trigger attacks. I usually buy When Pigs Fly Sourdough, and I do very well with it.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293299 - 12/12/06 11:11 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Hey, I'm IBS-A, mostly C, too, and so far, I seem to tolerate whole wheat well. For a few weeks, I cut it out (BTC and all), but I've started using it for sandwiches again (an organic, no dairy version). I just start my lunch with some pretzels for SF. I need the IF or the C is out of control.

I think it may depend on your tolerance for wheat, as well as your IBS symptoms. I know that I only have pain when I'm really C, so I try to keep my IF up.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#293314 - 12/12/06 01:02 PM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

Thanks for all the feedback!

Re: Bread Sourbread new
      #293315 - 12/12/06 01:19 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I was told sourbread was good. I dont know why though. Isnt it made with buttermilk? Info appreciated. Thanks

Re: Bread Sourbread new
      #293320 - 12/12/06 01:26 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I make homemade sourdough bread and it only contains white flour, water, salt, yeast, sourdough starter and a very small amount of olive oil. Perhaps some commercial sourdough breads contain milk. It is important to read the label on everything you purchase.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#293352 - 12/12/06 05:05 PM
GOINGCRAZY2

Reged: 11/07/06
Loc: new york

Ezekiel bread is also very good. You can get it at you local HFS. They make wraps, muffins etc. Hope this helps

#293500 - 12/13/06 01:08 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

I am IBS-C and was eating multigrain breads for awhile because I was trying to diet and stay away from the white bread. The whole time I was eating the multigrain bread, I had bloating in my stomach and some pain. I finally had to stop the bread and go back to eating white bread. I do not do multigrain bread anymore and the bloating has subsided.

You could try sourdough bread or just cut down on your white bread intake. Wheat and multigrain breads are too harsh on our IBS tummies.

Carol

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3961 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1560

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review