All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm new and need a bit of reasuring!!
      #293245 - 12/11/06 08:04 PM
FuturRN'07

Reged: 12/11/06

I am new to the message boards and to the ibs diet. I do admit that I am not sure about all these white carbs. Really the only thing I would be getting rid of is dairy. I already have a very low fat diet, I try to eat not alot of carbs (if i do there all wheat), also I eat tons of fruits and veggies, and I am afraid that the 7 pounds I decided to lose won't come off because I am only cutting out dairy. But replacing it with soy, so please someone HELP I am really unsure. and another thing I really like flavored fat free creamers I used to put in my coffee, are they not safe to maybe put in my tea now?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm new and need a bit of reasuring!! new
      #293247 - 12/11/06 08:48 PM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Take a look around this site some more and read up on the trigger foods. Also, everyone is a little different so if you do not have an adverse reaction to your creamer than continue using it.

Do you own any of Heather's books? They are a great help to me and I am pretty new at this too. Her books will provide you with the knowledge you are looking for to assure you that you will be fine on the IBS diet. My weight stays very stable and I have been on the IBS diet since early October. I feel healthy and I eat much better than I use too. I am still struggling but the IBS diet is the only thing that has pulled me out of pure misery--I was literally unable to function for many months due to IBS and a lack of competent medical care.

Just use knowledge to empower yourself and don't worry so much about weight loss. Sorry, but your health is more important than a few pounds if they are not hurting you.

Sufie

#293268 - 12/12/06 06:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Boards.

I do think you should look over the Diet guidelines on the Website outside the message boards. You need to be sure you have a very clear understanding of the triggers and irritants - regular tea, for example, is a bad idea because it still contains caffeine. Fruits and veggies are great but if they're IF you need to be sure you're getting a good SF base beforehand.

The debate about all that "white food" flares up from time to time. There's a sticky post at the top of the Diet Board that talks about Atkins - perhaps that will provide some reassurance. I usually drone on about how the Japanese and Chinese eat white rice and are considered so healthy and then throw in a few comments about the Mediterranean diet. However, if you really don't want to eat "white" SF there are other options. You can do Searches on the Diet Board looking for keywords like:

diabetes
glycemic
hypoglycemia

and you'll find some suggestions.

As for the non-dairy creamers it depends on what's in them. If they contain any of the triggers (like dairy) or irritants (like MSG), I'd advise eliminating them until you're stable. Silk makes a soy creamer - you could investigate that and perhaps add your own flavorings. BTW there are some coffee substitutes that people seem to find pretty palatable. You can do a Search on the Diet Board for:

coffee

and see what turns up.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#293278 - 12/12/06 08:13 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Welcome!
I would reiterate what Sand said, and I would not stress about all the "white carbs". You need those foods to help provide the soluble fiber your digestive tract requires to run smoothly. I eat plenty of white rice, pasta, and oatmeal, and a fair amount of crackers and bread. Now that I'm stable, I have a nicely varied and balanced diet in addition to those foods, so I certainly don't feel like I'm doing anything unhealthy by eating plenty of carbs. I feel great and I lost ten pounds.
Are you (or have you already) giving up red meat? That's also a major trigger.
Tea is tricky. I would definitely switch to decaf, at least until you are stable. But be cautious nonetheless - black tea has tannins that can be irritating. Always have your tea with a high soluble fiber meal or snack and never drink it on an empty stomach. I have been able to reincorporate caffeinated black tea into my diet now that I am stable, but it took a while and I still have to be careful about how much I drink and what I drink it with.
I hope you start feeling better soon.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293282 - 12/12/06 08:38 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I started the EFI diet in early October, too. Prior to that, I hadn't touched anything 'white' for years and ate a diet high in insoluble fibre - lots of raw veggies, etc. I could never understand why I had such pain from IBS when I ate such 'healthy' food. It was with some trepidation that I started eating white rice etc - but my tummy calmed down almost immediately. I had avoided wheat for years, too, as it always upset me, but I have cautiously introduced white wheatflour products to no ill effect, so I think that it was wholewheat that gave me such problems.

I still eat IF fruit and vegetables, but make sure that I eat SF first, and proportionally more SF than IF at each meal/snack. I can only stress what others have said - read all the info on the website and if possible, get Heather's books to refer to. It took me a while to get my head round it all, but I have now, and know how to eat 'safely' and healthily.

A diet high in IF is 'healthy' if you have a normal gut; but us IBSers don't, so we need to take care and eat to minimise symptoms. HTH

#293286 - 12/12/06 09:58 AM
FuturRN'07

Thank you to all who responded. I have a better feeling about this and I do think I will be getting Heather's book. I have not eatten red meat in years so thats no biggy. I am unsure how to "start with a sf base" How do you do that at lunch or breakfast? start with a bannana or rice or carrots? i'm hopping heather's book will tell me all these little tips. I am drinking alot of peppermint tea I try to avoid all caffine unless I have a full stomach. Dose anyone have the guts to indulge in alittle wine? and if so how's it going? b/c I have not drank since being diagnosed. but with all the festive parties I would like to have a glass.

Nursing! new
      #293287 - 12/12/06 10:02 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I was going to be a nurse, but I feared the stress would kill my IBS. Good to see someone else going for this wonderful career.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#293305 - 12/12/06 12:11 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would really say stay away from coffee and alcohol. I don't drink either so I can't say how much I would tolerate.

As for how to get a buffer of SF here's a few tips:
1 - eat snacks in between meals that are SF (bananas, crackers, carrots etc)
2 - I think Shell Marr came up with this, for a sandwich on white bread, eat around the outside of the bun/bread first, thus getting a nice dose of SF bread before diving into the whole sandwich
3 - have a glass of water/tea with Acacia about 1/2 - 1 hour before a meal.

Heather's books are really helpful, and after a little while you'll have the hang of it.

--------------------
Kat

#293354 - 12/12/06 05:11 PM
kimberlyj

Loc: Tampa, Florida

i have just started to think about going back to school but with IBS am worried that the stress will kill me!! i do function just fine during the day so I usually limit my activities after dinner, when my attacks usually occur. Good luck!!

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

Kimberly new
      #293367 - 12/12/06 06:04 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Just curious what you are thinking about going back to school for!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Kimberly new
      #293509 - 12/13/06 02:07 PM
kimberlyj

Loc: Tampa, Florida

i am having trouble finding my posts and replies to my posts, any suggestions? to answer your question, and thanks for asking, i want to go into human services(social work), always like to help people, probably half my problem, getting too involved!! i am a nanny and sub at a preschool occasionally now. i am 42 and have 2 kids in college. competing for the money to go, so will go slow!!

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

Re: Kimberly new
      #293648 - 12/14/06 08:53 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

i am having trouble finding my posts and replies to my posts, any suggestions? ...

Welcome!

Click on your name at the left and it will take you to your profile page; there, click on the link at the bottom of the profile box that says "show all user's posts."

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2460 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review