All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
It may be a one time episode
      #293011 - 12/09/06 05:44 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Ok, last night, I ate my usual bread and took my probiotic before starting dinner. For dinner, I ate clam sauce and pasta which is clams a little parsely, garlic, clam juice, red pepper flakes and a speck of olive oil with spaghetti. I then ate some broiled salmon, with dill. About 45min. later, I felt a little cramping and walked to the bathroom. It started ok and I was relieved. It did not seem complete so I sat there reading heathers book. Then it exploded out. My stomach felt a little sore for the rest of the night and I sipped a cup of fennel mint tea. No episodes since and slept just fine. Any thoughts? There hasnt been any dairy or red meat in my diet for 2 weeks. But for breakfast 2 days ago, I ate one honey wheat slice of toast which you guy told me was not good too late. Two days ago? doubt thats it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Salmon new
      #293013 - 12/09/06 06:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

While some people consider all fish safe I have trouble with some species of salmon. Some species and farmed salmon have a higher fat content than others. The USDA database gives the following fat values for salmom

Farmed Atlantic salmon 11% fat
Wild Atlantic salmon 6% fat
Chum 4%
Farmed Coho 8%
Wild Coho 6%
Pink 4%
Sockeye 8%

If I have no problems with pink and chum but other types of salmon give me D.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Salmon new
      #293015 - 12/09/06 07:01 AM
Joannelcoq

It was wild atlantic salmon and only 4 oz. Wow, it bothers you? You know us IBS-D'ers are suppose to incorporate omega-3 oils in our diet. I spoke to a dietician yesterday. He also showed me websites and books that say the same.

Edited by Joannelcoq (12/09/06 07:02 AM)

#293021 - 12/09/06 07:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Indeed omega-3 oils are important and they are available from a variety of source including low fat salmon, tuna, shellfish, nuts, seeds and some vegetable oils. For example, I eat smoked oysters. They contain omega-3 but I drain all of the oil they are package in and sprinkle them with lemon to remove more oil. However, I stay away from oysters packaged in soybean or cottonseed oil.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: It may be a one time episode new
      #293030 - 12/09/06 12:22 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

It is possible that your tummy had not quite calmed down yet from the wheat bread, thus making it more sensitive to the fat. Was there anything else besides dill on the salmon?
Also, keep in mind that there are factors at work other than food. Are you stressed? What about hormones? Did you get enough sleep the night before? Coming down with a cold? These are all things that can have a surprisingly large effect.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293059 - 12/10/06 06:09 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I second what kenjari says. Stress, hormones and tiredness are major IBS triggers for me. But now I'm following the EFI diet and taking Acacia, the attacks from those external triggers don't last as long as they used to, nor are they as severe. When I have an attack not related to food, I take care to eat really safely, nearly all SF until I feel better.

#293063 - 12/10/06 08:52 AM
Joannelcoq

Well, If your stressed, when do you think IBS kicks in? During or after the stress has passed. The one slice of whole wheat toast was 2 mornings prior to my episode. Before I started following the EFI diet, I used to eat bran and whole wheat toast all the time not knowing if it was a trigger. But because it is hard to pinpoint it even with keeping a food diary, I have been trying to be careful...real careful.

#293065 - 12/10/06 09:26 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Have you ever tried doing the Break the Cycle diet? This is how I became stable. I started with the BTC diet, and slowly added in foods one at a time. It's much easier to tell then what affects you and what is safe. There's no way we can guess what foods are causing you problems (other than the main triggers such as red meat and dairy). I would suggest doing the BTC diet and slowly adding in foods, it's the only way that I became stable and figured out how much IF and fat I could handle. I had followed Heather's diet somewhat closely before it but didn't notice very much improvement until I did the BTC.

--------------------
Kat

#293096 - 12/10/06 02:36 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Quote:

Well, If your stressed, when do you think IBS kicks in? During or after the stress has passed.

This varies widely depending on the source, intensity, duration, etc of the stress. For me, it usually takes at least two days of constant but moderate to high stress before the trouble starts. One day or less if it's short-duration but extremely intense stress. The point being that the wheat toast may have had little or nothing to do with your attack if there were any significant non-food triggers present.
For example, back in August I had an attack despite having been doing well on the diet for well over a month, and despite having not cheated. The trigger? Getting my period at the height of a major heat/humidity wave. I could have been eating nothing but white rice all week, and I would have still had that attack. However, that doesn't mean that the diet is useless because things like that can still happen. I am 100% positive that the attack would have been at least twice as bad (like what I experienced when I first got IBS) if I had not been following the diet, taking SFS, probiotics, etc. And the longer I'm on the diet and supplements, the less severe my attacks become, whether they are triggered by food or something else.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#293109 - 12/10/06 04:50 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I find I cannot tolerate most fish - especially salmon. It is just an automatic attack. I can eat shellfish however.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 986 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2701

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review