All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For Sand and anyone traveling to NYC/plus "tolerating food" question
      #292968 - 12/08/06 12:08 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I did it I survived (and enjoyed) my trip with my husband and son to NYC yesterday to see the tree, have dinner, and see the "Grinch." How I did it (for anyone who is interested): I ate oatmeal with a few raisins the day before for breakfast (as I wanted to have a BM...had been a few days), had turkey on white for lunch (no IF), chicken and rice for dinner. I did not take immodium the night before, just my Librax and I take Acacia too.

Morning of the trip: I had oatmeal (with a few raisins again if you can believe it!...thank you to those of you who suggested them. I only eat exactly 9 of them in my cereal but it helps me to go "just enough.")

After a few normal BMs and minimal anxiety (not sure why I was so calm), I took two precautionary immodium and tried to keep myself busy around the house so I wouldn't focus on the trip. At 1 PM, I ate 1/2 cup white rice with acacia mixed in and left for the train station. Except for needing to pee, I did not need to find a restroom for any problems. I ate a 1/2 of a street pretzel as a snack and then I ordered grilled mahi mahi with grilled shrimp and rice with dressing on the side (it had spices and some oil...I drizzled a drop or two).

Now, here's where I am referring to the recent post about "cheating" before you are stable. I am not stable. I am getting closer, I am learning every day, and my attacks are few and far between (d). I had a rough bunch of days after Thanksgiving b/c I was a bad girl and truly did cheat, eating all sorts of triggers which I later paid for. But then I got back on track.

My bms are inconsistent though and I am working on adding in IF, seeing what I can tolerate, etc... So my point is, after dinner in NY, I had a bite (about the size of my pinky fingernail) of a piece of chocolate that my husband bought and a teaspoon of my son's chocolate pudding. That's it...took the edge off my sweet craving for the evening whereas in the past I would have ordered a chocolate brownie with ice cream. Now, I considered this trip an enormous success, mostly b/c of the surprising calm and confidence that I felt about it. Yet, when I came on the boards today and read that thread about saying you can tolerate foods, I started to feel like I am one of those people who are guilty of eating "trigger-like" foods before they are stable. Would you consider me that? Be honest!

Once in a while at home, I will do the same thing...eat a very small handful of Oreo thin crisps after dinner (not a full package) just to satisfy my craving. I do eat safe IBS sweets sometimes and have baked a few things, but I wasn't thinking that my whole system was getting thrown off from these teeny (in my mind) treats. I have eliminated all dairy, coffee, red meat, alcohol, etc...the big triggers, and now I know to be more aware of HFCS b/c I was still eating ketchup as of my recent post. I eat smaller portions and use only Smart Balance Light or olive oil at home. I'm still working on what to order safely when out.

So what do you think? I don't know what it is really like to be stable, but I would say if I had to judge it, I am about 60% there (needing to work on the anxiety with the hypno tapes I just got). Food wise and with the acacia, I am SOOOO much better than I have ever been. But am I making things worse with doing those sorts of little "cheats" if you want to call it that?

I really hope not, b/c my willpower is being pushed to the limit already! I'm trying very hard to follow through. Could eating just ONE bite of my husband's pizza after an SF meal on a stable day throw off my whole system for the week? If so, then I guess IBS is way more powerful than I gave it credit for. Thanks for your responses.

Oh...and PS...near Times Square there is a giant advertisement for Charmin toilet paper, saying "Free Restrooms"...lol. I thought it was perfect for IBSers. There should be one from each toilet paper company on each corner as far as I'm concerned!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Sand and anyone traveling to NYC/plus "tolerating food" question new
      #292969 - 12/08/06 12:23 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I'm not Sand, but here is what I think...

If you (and by you I don't necessarily mean YOU) are not stable, there is no way that you can say "Milk does not bother me" (Milk being an example). There is no way to truly know if milk is bothering you if you are not stable. Those who are not stable need to stabilze before they can say that certain trigger foods do not effect them. Sand can probably explain this better, as she is much better with words, but really I just wanted to say - No one is pointing fingers at you!! We all cheat, we all pay, we all learn from our mistakes...and I havent seen you make any claims that certain food don't bother you.....my only words of caution for you are just be careful with the little nibbles of chocolate - too many nibbles can add up sometimes!!!!

Congrats on your wonderful trip! Sounds like you had a great time!!! What a great IBS milestone

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#292973 - 12/08/06 01:46 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thanks for the NYC info. I'm glad you had a great day and that it went so well - both IBS-wise and just plain fun-wise. We might make it in over the holidays - I'll post if we do. And I love the Charmin' story - I may have to start buying their product and write and tell them why.

I can only speak for myself on the "cheating before stable" question but you aren't someone I think of when I express concern (okay, sometimes annoyance) with that pattern of behavior. My concern is with someone who posts, "I'm not stable. Here's what I eat. Tell me why I'm not stable." and when people on the Board say, "Well, it's because you're eating dairy or red meat or lots of fat or whatever" the poster says, "Oh, I know that doesn't bother me. It must be something else." There is, in a very real sense, not a heck of lot anyone can do to help after that, at least within the EFI guidelines.

To me this doesn't mean you have to be perfect to get stable. It would be nice to be perfect and it might well make stability happen faster but that's not going to do much good if you've run amok and stabbed everyone at the grocery store to death with your fork because you can't stand never having a bite of chocolate or a taste of pizza. I'd rather be a little wobbly now and then than spend the rest of my life eating rice in Sing Sing.

I guess for me the problem is not that people eat off program (oh, horrors - and let's not mention those food items *I* won't admit to on the Fitness Board). The problem for me is when people eat off program, still have symptoms, and insist the symptoms have nothing to do with eating off program. It just seems so, well, illogical.

HTH. And, again, thanks for the NYC update. That's the important thing - you did something IBS-scary and had fun doing it. Good for you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

You have a silver tongue yourself, MCV. -nt- new
      #292974 - 12/08/06 01:47 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292980 - 12/08/06 02:47 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Good for you. I was there in the city too on Wednesday night. We went to see the Conan O'Brien show. We ate afterwards at a famous rib place and I was the party pooper. I ate a bland turkey club but of course no bacon or mayo. I was ok. I hope you enjoyed the city. Its a great time of year to be there. Joanne

#292992 - 12/08/06 04:49 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Quote:

To me this doesn't mean you have to be perfect to get stable. It would be nice to be perfect and it might well make stability happen faster but that's not going to do much good if you've run amok and stabbed everyone at the grocery store to death with your fork because you can't stand never having a bite of chocolate or a taste of pizza. I'd rather be a little wobbly now and then than spend the rest of my life eating rice in Sing Sing.

Hee!

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Thank you for the clarification... new
      #292993 - 12/08/06 04:58 PM
line415

Thank you. I didn't think anyone was pointing fingers at me, I was just wondering if I too was guilty of "not really following the diet correctly" b/c of those small things I am doing. Glad to know that I don't need to be perfect. If so, Sand is right about the grocery store clerks...look out! (My husband was making lobster bisque the other night for an upcoming party we're having and a few times he tasted it and said aloud, "MMMM, that is on the money"....boy did I shoot him a look!! Of course he knew better than to quickly apologize!!

--------------------

Oh...and Sand, great idea to write to Charmin. Hope you make the trip too n/t new
      #292994 - 12/08/06 05:04 PM
line415

--------------------

#292996 - 12/08/06 05:49 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I'm so glad you had a good time in NYC, and I'm glad the raisins worked for you.
I agree with Sand - none of the posts I was thinking of were from you. In fact, I pretty much agree with everything Sand said about this subject.
I hope your next travel adventure, whatever and whenever it may be, goes well, too.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 748

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review