All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating during the holidays
      #292806 - 12/07/06 09:01 AM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

How do you all handle eating during the holidays?

More specifically...eating at a family dinner where *lots* of unsafe foods are being served (like beef, creamy things, etc)?? I don't feel like my IBS is taken seriously enough that the menu can be altered.

Do I just nibble and snack later??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating during the holidays new
      #292839 - 12/07/06 01:18 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Does your family understand that without the (slight) alterations, you won't be able to enjoy the food like they will? Can you volunteer to bring a couple of the dishes, so that you can control how they're made?

My husband and I are trying desperately to find substitutions for all the "bad" ingredients in this delicious homemade hot chocolate mix that his mom makes. It's been a real pain, but we only have one more ingredient to go. I apologized for being so difficult, and he said "well, it's no fun to make it if you can't enjoy it, too!" Enough said!! What a lucky woman I am.

My point is, the holidays are about being together and enjoying each other's company. Unfortunately, food can be a big part of that "enjoyment". I suggest you talk to your family and explain how important it is to you that they work with you a little on the food being served.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

I just make my own. new
      #292870 - 12/07/06 04:06 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I make a whole spread of food for me and my husband (he likes as much of the IBS safe foods as I do). Other people are always welcome to it and sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't. Though I have noticed that the dishes I take seem to disappear faster than other people's food. Bottom line, you need to take care of yourself and sometimes you just have to tell people "tough, if you don't like it, then don't eat it." I have found that most people are open to at least trying the foods I make and then once they try, often times they like it a lot.

Even if you just "nibble" you can still trigger attacks by eating unsafe foods.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 364

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review