All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia Fiber versus the other brands???
      #292748 - 12/07/06 12:07 AM
sddlebred35

Reged: 08/24/06

Hello, Im new to the boards my name is Jo and I have suffered with ibs for 16 yrs along with endometriosis. A couple months ago I ordered the acacia fiber and it worked great, however my hubby was cranky about the price of it, so when I ran out I tried Fiber sure. The stuff is horrible for me. I tried a little bit of it at first and it didnt work at all, so I slowly increased it and now I get horrible gas pains with it, and really bad tummy pains, then Im running to the bathroom. Has anyone else tried fiber sure and did it do the same to you until your body got use to it? I told hubby shut up about the price and I ordered more acacia tonight, at least I know that works and it works great for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia Fiber versus the other brands??? new
      #292751 - 12/07/06 04:59 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I haven't had that problem with FiberSure (never tried it), but I had tried Citrucel and ended up in serious pain. Horrible! Everyone reacts differently to fibers - what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for others.

Tell your hubby that, dose for dose, the acacia is the cheapest fiber out there - because it's more fiber and less filler, you get more bang for your buck. Other supplements might cost less by the bottle/jar/whatever, but you're going to go through them a lot faster than a container of acacia, to get the same dose.

#292756 - 12/07/06 06:01 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Well, you picked a very difficult substitute (Fiber Sure) to try. It contains pure inulin which is very difficult to handle for many IBS folks. Causes extra bloating and gas. If husband still insists that you not order Acacia, you should try citrucel or generic Benefiber, Fibercon....something without inulin for sure!

Inulin doubled me over.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#292791 - 12/07/06 08:15 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

First of all, FiberSure is inulin which can be a big gas producer: web page

As for price, I agree with AtomicRose - all the comparisons I've done between other SFS and Acacia come up with Acacia as the cheapest. You have to compare grams of Soluble Fiber not just volume of product.

I found FiberSure at Costco: $15.49 for 100 teaspoons which is $15.49 for 500 grams of Soluble Fiber (5 grams of SF per teaspoon). That works out to 3.1 cents per gram of Soluble Fiber. (This seems to be a very good price for FiberSure - at Walgreen's the FiberSure works out to 6 cents per gram of Soluble Fiber.)

One foil packet of Acacia contains 450 grams of Soluble Fiber and sells for $13.59. That works out to 3.1 cents per gram of Soluble Fiber.

There is shipping on the Acacia but if you buy 3 foil packets at a time like I do, the shipping adds less then 0.6 cents per gram of Soluble Fiber. That means that even with shipping, Acacia costs 3.7 cents per gram of Soluble Fiber when you buy 3 packets at a time.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292930 - 12/08/06 07:26 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I saw my GI doctor two days ago, he told me Acadia was not the same as Benefiber in that it is not fiber but a prebiotic, and he was not certain if this would be better for me since he was not aware of any data.
What do you think?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292932 - 12/08/06 07:27 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

My GI - an idiot by the way - said basically the same thing. I fired back at him and asked "If you don't know of the data, how can you say it won't help me".

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#292941 - 12/08/06 07:42 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

He never said it wouldn't help, just he was not familiar with pre-biotics.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292963 - 12/08/06 11:48 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Acacia is a Soluble Fiber. It is also a prebiotic. The two are not exclusive.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#293007 - 12/08/06 07:41 PM
sddlebred35

Reged: 08/24/06

Hi Jordy, thank you for the info on the fiber sure. Im going back to the acacia fiber, it helps and does its job more then the other stuff. Ive tried the fibercon and metamucel and didnt care for either of them either. I cant take benefiber as its pure guar gum which is a HUGE no no for my IC. So its back to the good stuff for me, and Im not going to switch it ever again

Jo

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1376

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review