All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spices?
      #292606 - 12/05/06 06:21 PM
threesunsets

Reged: 12/05/06

I've been having problems for about 2 years now, but the last few weeks have gotten very bad. I've been searching around your site for help, and have gotten a ton. Thank you all very much.

I do have one question, I was unable to really find anything on spices that are or aren't okay. Is there a list I'm missing?

Thanks!
Meg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spices? new
      #292619 - 12/05/06 07:55 PM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Hi, and welcome to the site. My knowledge about spices ( from Heather's book) is that mostly all seasonings and spices are just fine for IBS. Additionally, spices in general do not cause problems but the high fat and residue content of spicey foods is the culprit. Heather says that there are very few spices that can cause GI distress for some people and uses cayenne, jalapeno,and habanero as examples. If you haven't already I recommend that you purchase Heather's cookbook--it is very helpful and the recipes are awesome. Good luck..

Sufie

#292636 - 12/05/06 09:23 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Add MSG to that list. Some have a lot of sensitivity to this, too, and it's hidden in a lot of seasoning mixes.

#292651 - 12/06/06 06:15 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Although the diet allows many spices, it's still individual tolerance that matters. I can't eat anything with garlic, or any spicy ingredient at all....even with all the SF.

I stick with safe herbs...thyme, parsley, basil, etc.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#292653 - 12/06/06 06:28 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I have no trouble with spices - even things like cayenne.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#292656 - 12/06/06 06:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have very few problems with spices as long as they are finely ground and eaten with lots of SF. Seeds in cayenne peppers can cause me problems. Recently I have become suspicious of mustard and celery seeds that I use in relish. Similarly garlic has to be finely minced or it gives me lots of gas, pain and D.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#292699 - 12/06/06 09:22 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Some spices are actually good for IBS such as oregano, ginger, tumeric, fennel etc.

I do fine with all spices. If you think you are sensitive to something like garlic, try using it in powder form.

--------------------
Kat

#292703 - 12/06/06 09:45 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I do fine with most things. Garlic can cause some gas, especially if I eat a ton of it.

Spicy things are iffy. I can tolerate Thai spicy (whatever they use) with no IBS or GERD problems, but Mexican spicy (lots of jalapenos) really makes the reflux flare. I buy mild salsa now, and that helps.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#292725 - 12/06/06 03:19 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Spices give me very little trouble. Since I have been following the ibs diet and guidelines I've been able have foods that are spicer, and I am starting to enjoy the spicy taste of red pepper flakes. I do stay with the recipes that are posted on the recipe board.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#292884 - 12/07/06 05:28 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i find garlic and onions give me problems if they are overpowering in the dish, most dried spices seem to be fine, i stay away from spicy things though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review