All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wheat allergy or IBS?
      #292534 - 12/05/06 09:02 AM
portrgirl

Reged: 11/15/06

So, after being on an elimination diet for wheat for two weeks, I started eating wheat products again a few days ago. I haven't had any issues other than a sore throat (due to a cold I believe I caught) and extra tiredness (which I think is due to me stopping coffee 3 days ago ).

I feel like I should notice something since my Dr. said that I was showing up with a wheat allergy in my skin test and wanted me to eliminate it for a week and see what happens. The only difference I noticed was a decrease in pain - but I now think that was due to not eating the whole grain breads that I ate before.

Has anyone else been told that there's a possible food allergy only to find out that nothing noticable happens when eliminating/challenging it? I think I need to just accept that I have IBS but I feel silly pushing this possible wheat allergy aside so quickly.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wheat allergy or IBS? new
      #292535 - 12/05/06 09:13 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Since wheat allergies are pretty serious, I'd call your doctor to see what he/she says. Wish I had more to offer...

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#292536 - 12/05/06 09:14 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Did you see improvement when you eliminated wheat? Did you react when you ate it again? Have you had blood tests to rule out celiac disease, which is an intolerance to the protien in wheat, called gluten? Do you have other symptoms that aren't digestive? Food allergies can manifest themselves as skin disorders like excema, headaches, join aches, ect. Are you being seen by a gastroenterologist or an allergist? If your general practioner suspects food allergies, you should be seen by both to get a confirmed diagnosis.

#292539 - 12/05/06 09:34 AM
portrgirl

I didn't see any improvements, at least that I noticed. I've never had excema (only acne, which didn't clear up when I eliminated wheat), no joint aches, only tension headaches (which had stopped when I started my current job). I did feel more clear-headed but that could be from any number os things. I've looked up celiac disease and don't have any of those symptoms but do know that some people don't show any. The only thing that I see now that I'm eating wheat is a sore throat caused by drainage during the night and extra tiredness; however, I think I'm getting sick and I also stopped drinking coffee.

I'm being seen by a gastroenterologist and an allergist. the GI doc. immediately put me on medications (the only one of which I tried was MOM) but said she wants to get me to the point of controlling it myself. I had many tests ran (not for celiac though) and all were fine.

I am very allergic to all pollens, which I read can cause an allergy to wheat to show up.

#292543 - 12/05/06 09:43 AM
portrgirl

Would I be able to call? Or would I have to go for an appointment for her to tell me anything...

#292556 - 12/05/06 10:51 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I'd call and ask. Tell them you tried the elim diet and saw no change. Ask if they can test you for celiac. If I remember, it's a blood test, so you may not need to go in to see the doc -- just for a test and they can call with results.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#292559 - 12/05/06 11:19 AM
portrgirl

Thanks! I did call and I'm currently waiting for a call back from the doctor.

#292592 - 12/05/06 03:49 PM
portrgirl

Just thought I'd fill everyone in... I talked to my doctor. He said that 1-2 weeks on a wheat avoidance diet would be enough time to determine an allergy. But he was concerned about a possible gluten allergy (celiac like kamikat thought) and is going to send me to get the blood test done.

He said that the since the blood test isn't very sensitive, if it turns out negative, I should go on an avoidance diet from all gluten sources for 3-4 weeks. He said that it takes at least 2 weeks for things to start fixing themselves and 3-4 weeks to see improvements. I guess I'll see what happens! I love my wheat though...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review