All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
question about ketchup and HFCS
      #292176 - 12/01/06 05:17 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I've read lots of posts about HFCS as a possible trigger and mixed posts about ketchup (the real deal with HFCS). I don't quite know yet if HFCS causes problems for me...I'm still all over the place trying to guess what works for my body. But I was wondering if ketchup or something else with HFCS would be considered a "trigger" or should it just be treated with caution and have with SF? For example, I had a meatless burger tonight on italian bread with plain pasta. I put the regular ketchup on it and wondered whether it is an all or nothing situation for HFCS. I've had ketchup before since I started this diet but not in large amounts. If HFCS is bothersome for people, is it then to be completely avoided or can it be tolerated if matched up with SF? Or again, does it depend on the person?(I'm just using ketchup as an example. I know I can buy it without HFCS but I'm curious about all products containing HFCS or traces of HFCS. I've already switched my syrup to maple syrup.)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about ketchup and HFCS new
      #292229 - 12/02/06 08:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My understanding is that the only thing bad about HFCS as far as IBS is concerned is the fructose. So as long as you're not super sensitive to fructose you just need to be reasonable about the total amount of fructose you consume. I avoid HFCS when I can because I don't see any reason to add something non-nutritious to my fructose load. However, I use ketchup - and other condiments - with HFCS figuring the amount is going to be small. I avoid it more strictly in things like bread, applesauce, and so on - items I'm going to be eating regularly and in larger quantities.

When I first started out on the EFI Diet, I was much stricter about avoiding HFCS - if something had it, I didn't go near it. Now that my gut is much calmer my philosophy is to avoid it when reasonably possible but not to make myself nuts over it.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I ditto the response from Sand on this topic -nt- new
      #292230 - 12/02/06 08:27 AM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Makes sense. Thanks. N/T new
      #292244 - 12/02/06 09:01 AM
line415

--------------------

I don't agree totally new
      #292376 - 12/03/06 06:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

HFCS is not just heavy fructose but a manmade chemically changed product. I feel it is a trigger in itself because it is harder to digest because of how it is made. I have had specific troubles from it at times. I don't just think it is ok with SF, like IF or small amounts of dairy are, but I think it should be avoided until you feel you gut is in a mood to handle it. When you are stable you might want to have a little with a meal. But it is a useless product! and its very makeup is unnatural, unlike having a little bit of cheese. It is a product that is unhealthy for everyone and it is in the best for overall health to avoid it. I've found a substitute product without HFCS for every product with it-except for coolwhip, which is my weakness food. I recommend avoiding it and boycotting companies that use it and maybe we can get rid of this bane to American health!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Slight correction. new
      #292404 - 12/04/06 07:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

HFCS is a mixture of two naturally occurring sugars - glucose and fructose. The ratio of glucose and fructose in HFCS can be similar to the ratio in honey.

Fructose is not made using chemicals it is made using natural enzymes. Commercially glucose is converted to fructose using these naturally occurring enzymes and then glucose and fructose are blended together to give the type of HFCS that is desired by the manufacturer.

HFCS is difficult to digest because fructose whether is found in honey, fruits or HFCS is difficult to digest not because it is manmade.

HFCS has the same caloric content as sugar and other simple carbohydrate. It's prevalent use in the food industry is because fructose tastes much sweeter than other sugars. It is always advisable to limit the intake of all sugars including HFCS.

Generally speaking if you don't have troubles with fruits such as apples, pears and mellons or honey then you are unlikely to find that HFCS is a trigger.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: I don't agree totally new
      #292410 - 12/04/06 07:35 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with a lot of this, LM. I think there's something creepy about HFCS. I certainly avoided it while I was stabilizing. At this point it doesn't bother me in small doses and the sad truth is that I'm not willing to do the work necessary to find substitutes for the products that contain it. Good for you for doing so.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

What ketchup substitute do you use? n/t new
      #292470 - 12/04/06 05:16 PM
line415

--------------------

sorry but HFCS is not natural or benign new
      #292473 - 12/04/06 05:54 PM
Little Minnie

HFCS is not natural and the body does not digest it like sugar. The wikipedia page referenced had much to say about the bad effects of HFCS and the lobbyists if you read the whole thing
or
read this.
Rats on a heavy fructose diet showed many major problems. HFCS is not used in the rest of the world and is produced with genetically engineered corn and enzymes. The body cannot metabolise HFCS like regular sugar and this causes additional weight gain than just the calories.
This stuff is cheap for the food industry to use and extends shelf life and is addictive so the sugar industry keeps the propaganda out there as much as tobacco companies do. Like the way they have tried to squelch the introduction of stevia in the US.
I think HFCS should be treated like sorbitol, MSG, olestra and the like for IBS sufferers.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Edited by Little Minnie (12/04/06 06:01 PM)

ketchup new
      #292474 - 12/04/06 06:02 PM
Little Minnie

I buy the store brand organic ketchup in the natural foods department. Also tabasco ketchup is free of HFCS but it is spicy. There is also an organic regular brand ketchup but I haven't seen it lately; I can't remember if it is heinz or hunts.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2721 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review