All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
sooo hungry, nothing to eat!
      #291969 - 11/30/06 08:11 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Oh, my! First off, since being on the diet, I am now struggling with C, whereas I have chronic D for years. This really isn't an improvement. Top that with having nothing to eat and being hungry all the time. All my normal gluten-free snacks (breads, pretzles, crackers) are all not safe, either too high in fat or have other no-nos. I tried some soy and my excema came back, so that's out. I have always hated fish, so that's out. I've always hated white meat and I've tried a couple of Heather's recipes, but it's so dry and the texture is awful. I can't find any gluten-free pasta that is just SF. I'd eat tuna, but I can't find fat-free mayo without modified food starch (which is gluten). I'm going crazy detoxing from coffee. Sorry for the rant, I'm just getting very frustrated with trying to do this diet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sooo hungry, nothing to eat! (gluten-free) new
      #291974 - 11/30/06 08:38 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you've swung from D to C it probably means you're not getting enough IF. The good news is that means the gluten-free pasta that isn't pure SF might be a good idea for you. It also means you might want to dip your toe into the "fruit for snack" pool.

You can try doing a Search on the Recipe Board for gluten and see if any recipes pop out. I know at least one person from the Boards is very strictly gluten-free. You can also try some of the chicken recipes there and see if you like them any better. There are a couple of crockpot recipes I really like - Kree's Crockpot Chicken Stew and Bev's Crockpot Bourbon Breast of Chicken - and while they won't change the texture of the white chicken meat, I can guarantee it won't be dry.

I found a recipe for gluten-free mayonnaise (web page) - you can try making it with Egg Beaters and see what happens. There's also a mayonnaise recipe in the Recipe Index for Cashew Mayonnaise (hey, you never know till you try - web page). Heather has a recipe in her EFI Cookbook for a tuna sandwich that doesn't use mayo.

You might take a look at potato chips. I can't find the nutrition information on-line but Kettle Cooked Potato Chips might be within fat limits (web page).

If you have a Whole Foods near you check them out. I don't know if they still do it, but for a while they had a whole bunch of little brochures about "What you can eat if..." - you're gluten-free, you're dairy-free, you're allergic to nuts. That might give you some ideas.

The coffee I can't help with. There are some substitutes that people seem to find acceptable, but they won't help with the caffeine withdrawal.

I hope some of this helps.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#291977 - 11/30/06 08:54 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I had to wean off caffeine, personally. Didn't want the headaches.

Have you tried quinoa pasta? I just tried it this week -- it's quinoa flour and corn flour, I think, but there may be some just quinoa flour out there.

That's a whole lot of restrictions. I hope someone else has even more to offer.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#291981 - 11/30/06 08:59 AM
kamikat

I've been gluten and dairy-free for over 8 years. I've looked over the recipes and only found one recipe for a bread that will work and it's a sweet muffin. Burbon isn't GF,so that recipe is out. I tried the tuna recipe in the book, ugh! To me, the mayo covers up the fishy taste. The mayo-free tuna salad was too fishy. The Whole Foods near me is pretty bad. They've eliminated most of their GF products because they have their own GF bakery. The Whole Foods gluten-free bakery puts dairy in every single item. The other health food store is much better and carries Amy's foods, as well a Kinniknick, but the muffins, bagels, breads, pizza dough, everything in the freezer was too high in fat. I was there for over an hour trying to find a GF safe sandwhich bread.

Re: We love you anyway!!! new
      #291983 - 11/30/06 09:03 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

If I were you, I would look up posts by Kandee - a super help for gluten free diets. She also wrote an article for the online newsletter - so look it up in the archives - should help you immensely.
Is rice OK? I thought it was. I know how hard it is, I have a friend of the family that is so gluten intolerant, even a wooden spoon that touched gluten can set him off. As for the coffee withdrawal, switch to green tea. It's still high in caffeine. Start with the powder, (the strongest caff content), then regular green, then half and half green and decaf green, then decaf. Step your way down, it's much easier.
And yes, it's so frustrating starting a new diet. Patience, trial and error are part and parcel. Hang in there!
Hugs, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#291985 - 11/30/06 09:16 AM
Sand

I would still suggest doing a Search on the Recipe Board for gluten. I did one and got 10 pages of hits. In the first two pages I found 3 recipes that either were or were adapted to be gluten-free. You might pay particular attention to posts by Kandee.

You can try the same Search on the Diet Board. You'll be buried in hits so again I'd start by checking the posts by Kandee. She hasn't posted regularly in a while so you'll have to go back in time to find hers. Alternatively you might find it helpful to just read through Kandee's posts.

Obviously, only you can decide if sticking with the EFI Diet is worth it to you. It certainly sounds like you're going to have a hard time with it. I hope you find some foods you're able to eat.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: sooo hungry, nothing to eat! new
      #291986 - 11/30/06 09:20 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06

I just wanted to suggest some more gluten-free SF foods, and also are you taking an SFS? Once you have a good base of these SF foods, you definetly need to up your IF since you are C. Also drink plenty of water and get exercise, which will help with the C. Also, try getting some rice or almond milk since soy isn't working for you.

Gluten-free SF foods: rice, rice noodles, potatoes, sweet potato, banana, applesauce, carrots, avocado, mushrooms, and any other vegetables/fruit on Heather's SF list.

Also any breads and such that are made with: corn (maize) flour, soya flour, lentil flour, rice flour, rice bran, potato flour, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, breakfast cereals made from corn and rice without malt extract, polenta and psyllium.

If you can't find a safe SF gluten free bread, then try a IF bread that you can tolerate the best, and use other SF foods such as mushroom, avocado, in the sandwich. It helps if you can take an SFS with water before eating a meal like this.

As for fish, I hated fish before, but I learned to like it slowly and now love it. I still hate tuna, it's just too fishy. But salmon and most white fish baked in the oven with just some simple lemon juice sprinkled over is tasty. Served with rice and some veggies and that's a good, safe, gluten-free meal.

--------------------
Kat

#291990 - 11/30/06 09:44 AM
kamikat

Quote:

Also any breads and such that are made with: corn (maize) flour, soya flour, lentil flour, rice flour, rice bran, potato flour, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, breakfast cereals made from corn and rice without malt extract, polenta and psyllium.

The problem isn't SF vs IF. The problem is that gluten-free flours do not have enough protein and sugars to make the yeast beasties do their thing. All gluten-free breads have additives to encourage the yeast, most of those additives being whole eggs and/or milk. The tapioca bread I normally buy contains only SF flours, but gets more than 50% of it's calories from fat.

#291991 - 11/30/06 09:47 AM
kamikat

Quote:

I would still suggest doing a Search on the Recipe Board for gluten. I did one and got 10 pages of hits. In the first two pages I found 3 recipes that either were or were adapted to be gluten-free. You might pay particular attention to posts by Kandee.

When I searched I got "we can not proceed" "no matches"

#291992 - 11/30/06 09:53 AM
kamikat

Quote:

Gluten-free SF foods: rice, rice noodles, potatoes, sweet potato, banana, applesauce, carrots, avocado, mushrooms, and any other vegetables/fruit on Heather's SF list.

Yes, I have been eating those things and am constantly hungery. Those things just aren't filling. I'm amazed that Heather claims in her book to stay the same weight because the food is too filling to eat enough to gain weight. I'm starving all day long and have gained weight in the short amount of time on the diet, which I REALLY didn't need.

#291993 - 11/30/06 10:00 AM
K2

Sorry I couldn't help with the bread. Getting SF from other sources would be best then.

The hungry feeling all the time is mostly because while these SF foods fill you up, they don't provide a lot of energy and protein. If I eat protein at every meal, I'm fine. If I don't eat protein say with breakfast, I'm starving by 10am. I know you're having trouble liking the white meat and fish, but it would help to eat more of it. Have you also tried a protein powder in a smoothie? It's a good way to get protein in the morning and not feel super hungry like 20mins later. I also eat egg whites (hard boiled) but I didn't add those in when I first started the diet.

I know your frustrated, and trust me I've been there. I was starving too for so long, and it has taken me a while to expand my diet. You may need to eat the bland boring food (ie: chicken breast) for a while, but it does get better. I started off this diet eating rice and chicken, I was bored and hungry. The key is to take it slow and try to incorporate new foods one at a time. In a few months you should have a more substantial diet.

I hope you start getting better results soon, don't give up!

--------------------
Kat

#291999 - 11/30/06 10:23 AM
kamikat

Are there places to get protein powder on-line? The lady at the healthfood store did recommend protein powder, but all they had was soy (which is out for me) and a rice protien that had malt. Thank you for telling me that you were hungry in the begining. I didn't know it was normal. I'll give it more time, then. So far, I've been ok with egg whites, but they were baked in to a custard. I made the sweet potato layer from the double decker pie, that I've been eating for breakfast the last couple days.

#292000 - 11/30/06 10:26 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

What about making your own bread from mixes? My brother is very strictly gluten-free, and he uses the dairy-free bread mixes from the Gluten Free Pantry and Cause You're Special. They freeze well, too.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#292003 - 11/30/06 10:30 AM
K2

Yep there's lots of places online you can buy them. I'm pretty sure you can find a non-soy, no-malt one. Check for egg white or rice protein powders.

Amazon.com and Bodybuildling.com are where I buy all my online things. Bodybuilding.com I'm guessing will have more information about their powders and probably more selection.

The hunger thing didn't really go away until I had a lot more protein in my diet, with every meal. Now I go most days without feeling hungry, I just eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.. and I feel fine. I've had the opposite problem though, I can't gain weight no matter how hard I try.

Good luck with the protein powder,

--------------------
Kat

#292007 - 11/30/06 10:58 AM
kamikat

I've used the GF Pantry's dairy-free sandwhich bread in the past. It requires the addition of eggs. They're very good at answering e-mail. I could ask them how it works with egg replacer. I hadn't thought of trying it without eggs.

#292029 - 11/30/06 12:01 PM
Sand

Hmm. I can't figure out how to just give you a link to my Search results, so here's how I set it up:

Forum or Category to search: IBS Recipe Exchange

Words to Search for: gluten

Search Options: And

Date Range: All Posts (this is the most likely problem)

Number of results to show per page: 25

HTH.

--------------------

Do you like quinoa? new
      #292075 - 11/30/06 07:55 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I eat gf and vegan. Quinoa is one of the staples of my diet.
Check it out--I suspect you'll love it & it's very safe & easily digestible sf & protein. When my guts go wonky on me, I practically live on it.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2036 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2735

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review