All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question about recipes
      #291585 - 11/28/06 07:49 AM
kelmart2

Reged: 11/14/06

I ordered the "Living with IBS" book and was looking at the recipes when I noticed that every one of them has garlic and onions in it. I assume all IBS sufferers can relate when I say that these are huge triggers for attacks. I don't understand why these recipes would have these in them?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about recipes new
      #291588 - 11/28/06 08:23 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Who is the author? I am not familiar with this book....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#291599 - 11/28/06 08:49 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

They are triggers, but only in the small amounts that are used in Heather's recipes, they are practivally safe. They are also never alone, they are together with starchy veggies/pasta/rice otherwise low in IF.

You have to get nutrients in your body, so avoiding all unsafe foods is not the way to go. You should incorporate them, but do so safely (if you like them, I mean). You can't live on white bread toast and jam you know (although I wish we could, mmmm )

--J

#291608 - 11/28/06 09:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I ordered the "Living with IBS" book

Are you talking about one of Heather's books ("The First Year"; "Eating For IBS") or is this another author's take on IBS?

Quote:

and was looking at the recipes when I noticed that every one of them has garlic and onions in it. I assume all IBS sufferers can relate when I say that these are huge triggers for attacks.

Nope, can't relate. I do fine with both garlic and onion as long as I eat them like any other Insoluble Fiber - with a good Soluble Fiber base. I can even handle them raw in reasonable amounts on hot dogs and in pasta salads, tuna salad, salad dressings, and so on.

Quote:

I don't understand why these recipes would have these in them?

These aren't trigger foods in the sense that they can and should be eliminated from all IBSers' diets. They're just Insoluble Fiber with an extra degree of difficulty because of the sulfur. (web page) Some IBSers can't handle them at all, some only cooked, some in any form - always, of course, accompanied by Soluble Fiber.

You might try substituting garlic powder and onion powder in recipes and see if you can tolerate that.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#291617 - 11/28/06 10:19 AM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

These are just insoluble fiber, not major IBS triggers, although some people may be more sensitive than others to them (just like any food). I eat minced garlic and minced onion in almost all of my recipes and have no trouble at all. I just always have plenty of SF in my meals.

#291623 - 11/28/06 10:31 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yep, I'm fine with garlic and onions, and have been even when I was at my sickest. They're insoluble fiber foods, not a trigger food.

Once you're eating a good balance of soluble vs insoluble fiber foods, you'll probably find that you can eat garlic and onions with no problems at all. Until then, garlic and onion powders can be substituted in the recipes to taste - won't be quite the same, but it's better than leaving it out altogether!

#291629 - 11/28/06 10:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Garlic and onions are a problem for me. They can also be a problem for IBS suffers.
Quote:

Some fruits and vegetables are particularly troublesome for IBS:

Sulfur-containing foods (garlic, onions, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts), in addition to their high amounts of insoluble fiber, also produce significant gas in the GI tract and this can trigger attacks. As with all other fruits and veggies, however, these are extremely nutritious foods with significant health benefits, so they need to be treated with caution but definitely not eliminated from your diet.

See web page

Sometime I cook with garlic and onions but I leave them in large chunks so I can remove them from before I eat them. I like the flavour they impart to many recipes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Problem for me too new
      #291630 - 11/28/06 11:10 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Onions are very gassy for people who don't even have IBS...and garlic is hard, too. I've read this from multiple sources.

I love both and miss them.

Syl, I'm not sure your link is working.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#291660 - 11/28/06 01:37 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Ditto; both garlic and onions are fine for me. Thank goodness, too, since I'm Italian!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: question about recipes
      #291662 - 11/28/06 01:39 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Yes, I, too, am curious what book you're talking about. I noticed a "Safe Cooking for IBS" cookbook at a store over the weekend. The first recipe I opened to called for 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Another called for cheddar. Obviously, the author didn't actually HAVE IBS. How irritating!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2793 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1628

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review