All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Acadia-Not Fully Dissolving, Anybody Else?
      #291097 - 11/24/06 10:08 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi, I just got Acadia 2 days ago.
Now granted I pigged out at Thanksgiving, but so far no changes in my system.

I am concerned over 2 things.

1) I've had it twice yesterday. It did not fully dissolve both times. I placed a teaspoon in cold water, let it sit for a minute, then stirred. Nonetheless, when I drank, I noticed there was a large clump of it at the bottom.
What am I doing wrong, or is having a clump and "spooning" it out not a big deal?

2) I'm confused by the maximum dose. Heather says it is 16 grams, yet she also says you can have 5 tablespoons. She states a serving is one teaspoon, or 2,5 grams, so the maximum 5 tablespoons is more than 16 grams.
What is the maximum dose?
16 grams or whatever 5 tablespoons equates to?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acadia-Not Fully Dissolving, Anybody Else? new
      #291100 - 11/24/06 10:25 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

You should stir it as soon as you add it to the water. Stir first, then if it's not fully dissolved, let it sit about 30 seconds and stir again. I also find shaking it in a water bottle really easy. Add the Acacia, then water, put the cap on and shake right away.

As for dosage I believe Heather says:
"Start at 1/2 - 1 level teaspoon twice a day and over the next week or two (or three or four) work up to 2-4 tablespoons twice a day, or the equivalent of 12-25 grams of soluble fiber supplement per day. Some people may need a maximum dose of 30 grams per day. If you stabilize at a lower dose, simply stay there."

I don't think there is a 'maximum dose' other than what you find works for you. I suggest increasing your dose very slowly.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Acacia-Not Fully Dissolving new
      #291146 - 11/24/06 04:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Mine doesn't always dissolve all the way in beverages. I like it in hot cereal or smoothies the best. Putting it in cold water and then microwaving and adding tea works too.

I take 2T per day and I find that is a pretty high dose. I only up when I get backed up and then I come back to 2T. It definitely needs to be started at very low doses. Taking 2T of acacia is equal to a heck of a lot of fibercon! So remember how strong the stuff is.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#291166 - 11/24/06 07:27 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

You should stir it as soon as you add it to the water. Stir first, then if it's not fully dissolved, let it sit about 30 seconds and stir again. I also find shaking it in a water bottle really easy. Add the Acacia, then water, put the cap on and shake right away.

As for dosage I believe Heather says:
"Start at 1/2 - 1 level teaspoon twice a day and over the next week or two (or three or four) work up to 2-4 tablespoons twice a day, or the equivalent of 12-25 grams of soluble fiber supplement per day. Some people may need a maximum dose of 30 grams per day. If you stabilize at a lower dose, simply stay there."

I don't think there is a 'maximum dose' other than what you find works for you. I suggest increasing your dose very slowly.

I'm confused as to what dose I need.
-I already was taking 3 regular spoons (the type you use for regular meals) of Benefiber
-I am C and unstable
-So isn't 2 teaspoons a little light to start?

I'm having trouble figuering out the right dose, if you have any suggestions or guidance for me I'd appreciate it.
I do not understand why I should start low given my current state and that I am not a newbie to supplements.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291223 - 11/25/06 10:03 AM
K2

How fast did you start taking the Benefiber? I'm guessing if you started off by taking a regular spoon full you'd have problems with bloating and gas. Just wondering..

Now that you are taking a lot of Benefiber, you'll have to figure out how much grams you were taking. A regular spoon is not a measuring spoon so I'm sorry I have no idea what your dose was. Try figuring out as closely as possible what your dose of Benefiber was (in grams of fiber) and then take the same amount of grams of Acacia.

If you want to just guess, then start off with 2 spoonfuls of Acacia and work your way up. But I do suggest you start measuring it properly so you know how many grams you're getting.

--------------------
Kat

#291249 - 11/25/06 02:59 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks.
If I read the right

1) Find what the grams were for benefiber, do Acadia at this for a couple days.
2) Raise is 1/2-1 teaspoon every 2/3 days until I stablize or max out?

Is that good plan?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291252 - 11/25/06 04:19 PM
K2

Yup that's a good plan. I would increase a max of 1/2 tsp every 3 days.

Let us know how it goes

--------------------
Kat

#291529 - 11/27/06 08:07 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks.
I estimated it was 10 grams.
I'll keep increasing every 3 days from 10 until I don't need to or am at the peak.

How long does Acadia take to work, normally, if you have already been on Benefiber, and can it cause side effects like C, D, and gas?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291531 - 11/27/06 08:11 PM
K2

It will take you more than 10g probably, so keep working your way up. I take 12g and I'm IBS-D. I think for IBS-C it can require a larger dose. I've never had side effects from it so maybe someone else can help with that.

--------------------
Kat

#291591 - 11/28/06 08:34 AM
Naturapanic

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291677 - 11/28/06 03:41 PM
Naturapanic

I've noticed in the last few days, the C is not much different, and I have cramps.
I used to never have cramps before, could this be due to Acadia, or likely the Luvoc or something other?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291850 - 11/29/06 02:10 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Mine doesn't always dissolve all the way in beverages. I like it in hot cereal or smoothies the best. Putting it in cold water and then microwaving and adding tea works too.

I take 2T per day and I find that is a pretty high dose. I only up when I get backed up and then I come back to 2T. It definitely needs to be started at very low doses. Taking 2T of acacia is equal to a heck of a lot of fibercon! So remember how strong the stuff is.

Wouldn't microwaving destroy the Acadia?
It' still not dissolving.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292104 - 12/01/06 07:56 AM
Naturapanic

This is really getting on my nerves.
I paid 20 dollars, and this Acadia is refusing to dissolve.

I wait a few minutes, I stir, there are still clumps, when I go to drink the water drains but the clums remained attached left behind.
So basically I am not getting all the Acadia I paid for, I don't even know how much a day I am getting since I obviously can't digest all that I put into water.

This is ridicolous.
A prebiotic is supposed to dissolve.
How am I supposed to take this, and how I am supposed to rest assure knowing I have taken the proper amount of fiber?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#292105 - 12/01/06 08:02 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I have better luck mixing it with moist food. I'll either mix it with applesauce or oatmeal, or with something in my meals that is moist (rice, pasta, etc...) If I am going to mix it with liquid I make sure to let it sit a long time. For instance, in the morning I will often mix it with some iced peppermint tea - I'll mix it before leaving for work in a travel water bottle type thing. Then when I get to work I'll mix again and usually its all dissolved by then (maybe 45 minutes later).

It is tough to get it to dissolve all the way, but I find in food it's much easier.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#292107 - 12/01/06 08:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I can dissolve 2 TABLEspoons of Acacia in 12 ounces of water:

Put the water in a jar. Make sure it's tap temperature, not from the fridge or hot off the stove.
Put the Acacia in the jar.
Put a lid on.
Shake vigorously 15 shakes. Do this over the sink in case of leakage.
Put it in the fridge.
Let stand for 1/2 hour. (15 minutes might do it)

No lumps, no bumps, no grit.

I prefer a glass jar. I used plastic for a long time and did fine but then I got lazy about washing it as soon as I finished the Acacia and the inside got icky.

You can do this the night before you want to drink it.

Please note that 12 ounces of water is nowhere near enough fluid for 2 Tablespoons of Acacia to work with. When I use this, I mix the Acacia water with plain water half and half before I drink it and I'm careful to get additional fluids throughout the day. For me, 64 ounces is the minimum I want to get and the closer I get to 100 ounces the happier I am.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292108 - 12/01/06 08:09 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Mine doesn't dissolve fully either a lot of the time. I usually just swallow the clumps, or, if there's some sticking at the bottom of the glass, I just scrape it up with a spoon and eat it. I haven't noticed any negative effects from doing this.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#292216 - 12/02/06 07:44 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I think you need to modify the way you're mixing.

I've never had a problem with acacia clumping up. I put the acacia in a cup first, then I put some tepid (not hot, and not cold) water in, and mix it with a fork for about 20 or 30 seconds. Then I add in cold water and drink.

I think the problem you're having is that you are putting in the acacia and water and letting it sit for a few minutes, then going to stir. You need to stir right away, then if needed let it sit for a minute or two, then stir again.
Hope this helps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5492 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1534

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review