All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Poll: What Do You, IBS-C's, Have For Breakfast
      #291046 - 11/23/06 09:45 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I've had about all I can take of my current breakfast/meals.
They are so bland, that along with diminshed returns, I am in the crossfires of a mild rebellion.
No, I'm not eating dairy, but I have been eating more for pleasure.

I understand I need a lot of IF mixed well with SF.
Nonetheless, since this is taking me awhile, I need good tasting food too.
I'll write down what I was eating, maybe some you IBS c's have suggestions on how I can eat a balanced diet that won't sacrifice health, but well leave my taste satisfied.
We all know how it goes, short term, 1-2 weeks you can go bland.
But 6 months or longer, and you are going to rebell, and it will only long term lead to destablization.

Breakfast
-Oat bran with applesauce (BLAND!)
-Egg beaters (Time consuming)

Lunch
-Turkey sandwich w/lettuce, hot peppers, no fat mayo (NO fat MAYO=AWFUL)
-Cracker Jacks

Snack
-Oat Bran w/applesauce (BLAND)
-Graham Crackers OR Newman Crackers

Dinner
-Salmon/Chicken Breast
-1/2 Frozen Package Spinach
-Rice (BLAND, BLAND, BLAND)

Snack
-Jay Robb Egg White Shake w/water (BLAND)

1) Even if I follow this 6 1/2 days a week, while it gives me peace of mind in having a set routine, the results are not special. Heck, if I devitate 2-3 days a week for 2 weeks off this, even still avoiding trigger foods, the results are bad.
Essentially, if I were to follow this 7 days a week, I would
be alright, but this allows for little flexibility, flavor, fun, and lasts ONLY as long as I follow.

2) Even then, I still wonder if I am getting enough fiber.
Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can re-do my diet so it is more practical, flexible, and yes, TASTY, while giving me the SF, IF I need to get stable?

The result has been all work, all diet, no fun, no taste.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Poll: What Do You, IBS-C's, Have For Breakfast new
      #291054 - 11/23/06 01:08 PM
zippo

Reged: 11/01/06

I notice you use Jay Robb's egg white protein. I always take that after liftin weights, it's like the only protein out there I can have lol everything else is either whey or whey isolate.

My advice to you is to get stable and not cheat, which means don't eat foods on the do not eat list. 24 hours seven days a week. No cheating. No, it's not fun, but don't give yourself the option of eating dairy, red meat, ect. Just do it. Once you get fully stable, you will see that you can tolerate other foods (but not trigger foods).

#291066 - 11/23/06 06:23 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I know I'm IBS-D but I do eat breakfasts that have IF as well.

One idea: various flavours of oatmeal. There's a great instant Organic Oatmeal made by Nature's Path. It's no more expensive than regular instant oatmeal. I suggest the flax n' oats, and maple nut flavours since they have more IF. Then on top of that, add some frozen berries. This will give plenty of IF and the berries make it super tasty.

I also don't like eggbeaters, so I simply use a normal egg but only the whites. I've made some omelettes with that and it was good.

--------------------
Kat

#291072 - 11/23/06 06:43 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I usually put oats in a pot with water the night before - In the morning I cook them (on the stove) with chopped apple in it, or choppped peaches, or strawberries. I leave the peel on about 1/2 the apple or peach and I seem to be okay when it is cooked in the oatmeal. I top it off with agave nectar and plain soymilk. Sometimes instead of the fruit I add in sliced almonds or chopped walnuts and sprinkle cinammon on it.
My breakfast ususally is pretty routine. Debbie IBS-C

#291074 - 11/23/06 08:11 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Well, I'm an IBS-C and stabilized already...

I have oatmeal with jam or cocoa and/or frozen fruit (I put the dairy substitute in the microwave (with the frozen fruit if using them), then add the oatmeal with the jam or cocoa... sometimes I chop a banana to put in it

That's EVERY morning, I don't get bored, because I switch the flavors... and I know oatmeal is really good for you. Some special mornings I have a slice of bread with almond butter and jelly... but that's relatively rare. If I don't have time for oatmeal, I just have a banana.

For lunch and dinner, do you use any spices to make the rice less bland? We have rice almost every day, but even my picky husband doesn't get bored (he gets bored with oatmeal, but he has to eat it, because of his cholesterol), because it tastes different every time. Also, we put mushrooms, peas, corn, peppers, tomatoes in the rice... or some combination of them.

I snack on pretzels and animal crackers. And bananas.

That's basically it. The main thing here is -- use some spices to make your food taste less bland -- like jam in the oatmeal (or oat bran w/ applesauce), and spice up that rice

HTH
--J

#291076 - 11/23/06 10:01 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

I know I'm IBS-D but I do eat breakfasts that have IF as well.

One idea: various flavours of oatmeal. There's a great instant Organic Oatmeal made by Nature's Path. It's no more expensive than regular instant oatmeal. I suggest the flax n' oats, and maple nut flavours since they have more IF. Then on top of that, add some frozen berries. This will give plenty of IF and the berries make it super tasty.

I also don't like eggbeaters, so I simply use a normal egg but only the whites. I've made some omelettes with that and it was good.

Thanks for the ideas, is there any difference between Quacker Oats and Organic for IBS C's?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291083 - 11/24/06 06:20 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i have 3 cold cereals that i rotate through nutty flax, nutty rice and millet oat flakes, i then rotate through almond or rice milk and have either a banana or frozen mango in my cereal alonf with 3 tbsp hemp nuts, love the hemp nuts, flavour, protein and IF, i tend to eat my oatmeal at night with frozen berries and walnuts for my snack.

Oatmeal eaters new
      #291092 - 11/24/06 09:03 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do you eat the instant oatmeal or regular quick cooking? Is one easier than the other

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#291094 - 11/24/06 09:06 AM
K2

Instant Quaker oatmeal tends to have additives like iron and milk ingredients. I've never had problems with it but if you really want to be safe then most organic instant oatmeals don't have additives like that.

Best thing to do is find some flavours of instant oatmeal that you like the taste of. If they have IF already great, you can always add more nuts or berries for taste and IF.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Oatmeal eaters new
      #291095 - 11/24/06 09:08 AM
K2

I prefer instant oatmeal packs since it's already prepared for me (I don't have to add sugar and stuff to get it to taste ok). I like the convinience of taking one pack, and adding hot water.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2975

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review