All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Steak Sub, Red Meat
      #290877 - 11/21/06 03:27 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I'm curious, I've been avoiding redmeat for so long.
I really miss having a steak or meatball sub.
Having spaghetti with meat sauce.
Or a good old steak, hamburger, or hotdog.

I wanted to know, do any of you eat redmeat?
Is it ok to have it once in awhile, say twice a month?
Is there anyway we can have this food without incurring severe consequences, or is this just something taboo ala dairy?

I'm getting really tired of chicken, turkey, and seafood.
What do you guys do in regards to meat cravings.
Please bear in mind, I'm not a cook and don't tolerate soy, a meat alternative, well in big doses.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bison and pork tenderloin new
      #290880 - 11/21/06 03:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I missed red meat too. I found that cannot eat beef at all. However, I have no difficulty with most cuts of bison and pork tenderloin.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Steak Sub, Red Meat new
      #290881 - 11/21/06 03:45 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I haven't figured out a way to eat red meat without suffering badly. Even after being stable for almost a year, I'd get thrown off course by having even one serving of beef or pork.

In response to your post where you gave what you ate that day (no spinach, burritos, red meat etc), I would have had major attacks from eating the red meat and burritos. That most likely caused the cramping you describe. The lack of IF is probably more likely affecting the constipation. Try to get more IF and drink plenty of water, this is something I would recommend to anyone regardless if they had ibs-C simply because IF foods are healthy.

As for the meat cravings, have you tried chicken or turkey meatballs? I get some now and then from the grocery store frozen aisle (they are high in fat so careful) and they're great in spaghetti. They're usually spiced quite nicely and seem more like 'real meat' than just a chicken breast or piece of fish.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Bison and pork tenderloin new
      #290882 - 11/21/06 03:49 PM
K2

I second this, it might be a good idea to choose your meats wisely when cheating. Although I personaly can't do any beef or pork, I'm sure very lean pork cooked safely (not in a fatty sauce) is better than a big fat beef steak.

--------------------
Kat

#290895 - 11/21/06 05:56 PM
Naturapanic

K2, just how badly would that meal have thrown you off?
You claim you're stable, so is 12 hours all it would do?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#290905 - 11/21/06 06:58 PM
K2

A meal like that would have caused pretty intense pain for me. Usually my attacks start about 30 mins after eating something bad (usually dairy or chocolate, I tend to avoid red meat completely) and last about 2 hours. I'll have intense pain and bloating followed by 4-5 BMs. I start drinking peppermint tea as soon as I feel pain, and continue drinking for a while after.

However, I usually don't eat much trigger foods, so if I ate a full meal with beef or dairy in it, it might cause a worse attack. I haven't had a full serving of dairy or red meat since being stable.

The difference in being stable is the recovery from the attack. I may take an Imodium if I need to go somewhere or just want it to stop, but the attack will go away on its own like I said after a couple hours. After the pain and BMs stop, I'll eat some safe SF, and drink some peppermint tea. After that settles I can usually have a normal but still safe meal with SF, IF and protein. The next day I usually feel 100% better.

Usually I'll eat something bad at dinner, like at a restaurant or during a chocolate craving. So by the time I wake up the next day I'm fine. I recently had an attack in the morning after doing a breakfast at a restaurant, but was able to eat a normal lunch, snack and dinner the rest of the day.

--------------------
Kat

#290918 - 11/21/06 07:51 PM
Naturapanic

Damn, you are stable with that short a recovery time.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#290925 - 11/21/06 09:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Personally, I use turkey substitutes. Ground turkey works perfectly fine for meatballs, meat sauce, meatloaf, chili - I just make my usual recipes, using turkey instead of beef. It's a little more difficult for hamburgers, because it doesn't have as much flavor as beef, but with a little experimentation in terms of spices and things, it can work.

There are also turkey hot dogs out there, although honestly, they still have a lot of fat, and so I've had much better luck with low-fat hot dogs that still contain beef products. YMMV.

I can eat a little beef, but honestly, I feel like crap afterwards - maybe not a full-blown attack, but crappy. I have to REALLY be craving it to make it worthwhile... it's hard for me to justify. I'd rather make do with substitutes than be in agony.

#290929 - 11/22/06 02:50 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

To satisfy my hotdog craving I've found Oscar Meyer (sp?)Turkey dogs are the best tasting ones I've found. I eat a pretty low fat diet so they don't seem to bother me. But I don't eat them often. I don't miss red meat at all but I do miss cheese.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#290932 - 11/22/06 05:55 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

try bison, venison or elk, all are super lean and very clean meats that seem to digest well for many that have issues with cow.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 487 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2838

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review