All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Steak Sub, Red Meat
      #290877 - 11/21/06 03:27 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I'm curious, I've been avoiding redmeat for so long.
I really miss having a steak or meatball sub.
Having spaghetti with meat sauce.
Or a good old steak, hamburger, or hotdog.

I wanted to know, do any of you eat redmeat?
Is it ok to have it once in awhile, say twice a month?
Is there anyway we can have this food without incurring severe consequences, or is this just something taboo ala dairy?

I'm getting really tired of chicken, turkey, and seafood.
What do you guys do in regards to meat cravings.
Please bear in mind, I'm not a cook and don't tolerate soy, a meat alternative, well in big doses.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bison and pork tenderloin new
      #290880 - 11/21/06 03:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I missed red meat too. I found that cannot eat beef at all. However, I have no difficulty with most cuts of bison and pork tenderloin.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Steak Sub, Red Meat new
      #290881 - 11/21/06 03:45 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I haven't figured out a way to eat red meat without suffering badly. Even after being stable for almost a year, I'd get thrown off course by having even one serving of beef or pork.

In response to your post where you gave what you ate that day (no spinach, burritos, red meat etc), I would have had major attacks from eating the red meat and burritos. That most likely caused the cramping you describe. The lack of IF is probably more likely affecting the constipation. Try to get more IF and drink plenty of water, this is something I would recommend to anyone regardless if they had ibs-C simply because IF foods are healthy.

As for the meat cravings, have you tried chicken or turkey meatballs? I get some now and then from the grocery store frozen aisle (they are high in fat so careful) and they're great in spaghetti. They're usually spiced quite nicely and seem more like 'real meat' than just a chicken breast or piece of fish.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Bison and pork tenderloin new
      #290882 - 11/21/06 03:49 PM
K2

I second this, it might be a good idea to choose your meats wisely when cheating. Although I personaly can't do any beef or pork, I'm sure very lean pork cooked safely (not in a fatty sauce) is better than a big fat beef steak.

--------------------
Kat

#290895 - 11/21/06 05:56 PM
Naturapanic

K2, just how badly would that meal have thrown you off?
You claim you're stable, so is 12 hours all it would do?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#290905 - 11/21/06 06:58 PM
K2

A meal like that would have caused pretty intense pain for me. Usually my attacks start about 30 mins after eating something bad (usually dairy or chocolate, I tend to avoid red meat completely) and last about 2 hours. I'll have intense pain and bloating followed by 4-5 BMs. I start drinking peppermint tea as soon as I feel pain, and continue drinking for a while after.

However, I usually don't eat much trigger foods, so if I ate a full meal with beef or dairy in it, it might cause a worse attack. I haven't had a full serving of dairy or red meat since being stable.

The difference in being stable is the recovery from the attack. I may take an Imodium if I need to go somewhere or just want it to stop, but the attack will go away on its own like I said after a couple hours. After the pain and BMs stop, I'll eat some safe SF, and drink some peppermint tea. After that settles I can usually have a normal but still safe meal with SF, IF and protein. The next day I usually feel 100% better.

Usually I'll eat something bad at dinner, like at a restaurant or during a chocolate craving. So by the time I wake up the next day I'm fine. I recently had an attack in the morning after doing a breakfast at a restaurant, but was able to eat a normal lunch, snack and dinner the rest of the day.

--------------------
Kat

#290918 - 11/21/06 07:51 PM
Naturapanic

Damn, you are stable with that short a recovery time.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#290925 - 11/21/06 09:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Personally, I use turkey substitutes. Ground turkey works perfectly fine for meatballs, meat sauce, meatloaf, chili - I just make my usual recipes, using turkey instead of beef. It's a little more difficult for hamburgers, because it doesn't have as much flavor as beef, but with a little experimentation in terms of spices and things, it can work.

There are also turkey hot dogs out there, although honestly, they still have a lot of fat, and so I've had much better luck with low-fat hot dogs that still contain beef products. YMMV.

I can eat a little beef, but honestly, I feel like crap afterwards - maybe not a full-blown attack, but crappy. I have to REALLY be craving it to make it worthwhile... it's hard for me to justify. I'd rather make do with substitutes than be in agony.

#290929 - 11/22/06 02:50 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

To satisfy my hotdog craving I've found Oscar Meyer (sp?)Turkey dogs are the best tasting ones I've found. I eat a pretty low fat diet so they don't seem to bother me. But I don't eat them often. I don't miss red meat at all but I do miss cheese.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#290932 - 11/22/06 05:55 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

try bison, venison or elk, all are super lean and very clean meats that seem to digest well for many that have issues with cow.

#290940 - 11/22/06 08:07 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I get cravings for red meat too sometimes, but everytime I've given in I get sick, so I haven't had any in a while. As far as turkey burgers go, I bought this seasoning blend from McCormick called Montreal Seasoning. I LOVE this stuff! It makes a turkey burger taste much more like a regular burger. It's good on sauteed chicken breasts too! As for hot dogs, the Oscar Meyer turkey dogs didn't sit too well w/me. I found a local brand of chicken hot dogs that taste pretty good & don't bother me. I've only found 1 store that sells them, so you may have to look around for something similar. And I use turkey bacon, but I've used that for a long time, I like it better than the regular stuff. Hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#290988 - 11/22/06 05:31 PM
Naturapanic

OK Thanks.

A few follow up questions.
1) I thought about Turkey substitutes. However, Turkey offers two kinds. The one with 6 grams of fat, or about 45% calories coming from the fat.
That tastes fine.
However, it can cause problems, and I am not sure of if that's IBS compatable.

They also offer another which is 99% fat free, but tastes awful.
Which one do you use or recommend?

2) Bison and Deer meat? Isn't redmeat the same even if it comes from a different animal?
What about Buffalo meat?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291024 - 11/23/06 06:36 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

bison meat is the same as buffalo meat, and technically they should react the same, however i have heard countless people say that this is untrue for them personally. the meat isleaner and cleaner and that seems to make a large difference, also the game meat is grass fed as it should be whereas cows are grain fed making their meat composition very different than it should be naturally. If you really crave meat try buffalo or venison or elk, i also suggest ostrich as it is bird meat, yet more hearty tasting. otherwise just season the heck out of turkey and see how you like it, oddly enough you can try seitan it is wheat meat and if made properly tastes quite beefy, yet it is vegetarian and not soy,

#291025 - 11/23/06 06:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is an excellent article written by a chef on the difference between red and white meat. Red meat has more fat than white meat. Fat is a well known IBS trigger. I have never understood why red meat protein is considered a trigger. I cannot find research evidence to support this notion.

I eat bison (buffalo) and pork tenderloin because they are very lean meats. I don't eat other lean meats like venison and elk because they taste too gamey for my liking.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#291026 - 11/23/06 07:13 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I get red meat cravings and occasionally I will have a bite of someone's steak. When I want to cook steak I do something worthwhile but still low in fat. For me meatballs aren't that exciting, but a good steak sliced over salad or a low fat grilled flank steak is ok for me a few times per year. Fat is my biggest trigger food and so I use the leaner cuts like flank steak or tenderloin. Also bison or venison would be leaner. I don't usually crave burgers or things like that but I really, really miss a ribeye roast! That is what I would love to make! and I just try to avoid thinking about it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#291033 - 11/23/06 08:39 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

For ground turkey, you want either ground turkey breast or ground all white meat turkey. That's what is low in fat. I agree that ground white turkey meat doesn't taste like much but if you use it to make chili, spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, burgers and so on the seasonings provide the flavor. There are recipes for lots of these on the Recipe Board.

Here's what Heather says about red meat:

Quote:

Meat, dairy products, and egg yolks are particularly dangerous for all aspects of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In some people their high fat content causes violent, rapid colon spasms and triggers diarrhea. Alternately, for others their heavy animal proteins, complete lack of fiber, and very low water content can lead to drastically slowed colon contractions (or one prolonged colon spasm, which is extremely painful) and severe constipation. No matter what Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms you're prone to, these three categories of foods pose high risks and are really best eliminated from your diet altogether.

The only way to know if you can handle "alternative" meats like buffalo, bison, venison, and so on is to try them.

Since I've now been pretty stable for a while I've tried red meat a couple of times - steak, nothing exotic. No drastic reaction, some general instability. Since it no longer tastes good to me after avoiding it for so long, the IBS symptoms just aren't worth it.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#291040 - 11/23/06 09:21 AM
Naturapanic

I know Trader Joe's sells Buffalo and Ostreich meat.
I just assumed since they are dark meat, they are readmeat.

That is awesome that Buffalo and Ostreich meat is safe.
I'm going to try it.
Where do you go for Buffalo or Ostreich?
I still don't get how they safe, because Buffalo is redmeat, and Ostreich is dark white meat.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#291042 - 11/23/06 09:30 AM
K2

No, no they aren't safe. They are red meat. However they may be more easily tolerated than beef or pork which are higher in fat. It's worth it to try them if you are really missing your red meat, and if you find that you don't have any problems with them then great. Don't expect to be able to eat tons of them no problem, they are not as safe as chicken breast or fish. I suggest trying these new meats with a very low fat meal with plenty of SF.

--------------------
Kat

#291044 - 11/23/06 09:33 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

That is awesome that Buffalo and Ostreich meat is safe.

I didn't read this from the replies at all. Plus, you aren't stable, so you wouldn't be able to know if they were a problem for you even if you ate them.

I don't think Sand, or anyone else, meant to imply that these foods were as safe as chicken or fish.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#291045 - 11/23/06 09:34 AM
Naturapanic

Thanks for clairfying.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

No. As far as I'm concerned none of this is safe. (m) new
      #291106 - 11/24/06 12:05 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Buffalo, bison, venison, whatever. If it's not white meat poultry without skin and it's not seafood, I consider it red meat and therefore off limits.

Ostrich is a horse of a different color. It's come up before - you can do a Search - and the consensus seems to be that since it's a bird and low-fat it's probably okay. I'd still proceed with caution. (Actually I'd never eat it - why bother when I'm already up to my ears in chicken and turkey?)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Ostrich & Venison new
      #291267 - 11/25/06 07:46 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I've tried it. It was okay; but I'll stick with venison (deer) as long as I have a source (Dad. ). So long as it is cooked through, venison is not a trigger for me personally. YMMV.

There are a couple of threads around here on ostrich. I seem to recall that the consensus was that it's safe. Here is one of them: http://tinyurl.com/u94gd

#291315 - 11/26/06 04:17 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

I eat very little red meat. I have tried to eat a lean red meat like filet mignon and it was OK a couple of times, but the last few times I tried it I got sick with cramping. I do not eat a whole piece of red meat anymore, but do occasionally have a bite or two of red meats and even meatballs. Yes I do crave a burger so bad!!!! but I do my best to put it out of my mind.

Carol

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2892 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2857

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review