All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
frustrated and want a big crunchy salad
      #290499 - 11/18/06 08:35 AM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I've been following this diet now for almost a year and I'm still having a hard time incorporating in insoluble fiber. Most of the time I just feel like my diet is soooo restricted when I can't tolerate things that are healthy like salads or most veggies in general. I'm super burnt out on my routine (cereal, soymilk, soy yogurt, tuna fish, chicken, potatoes, peanut butter). I haven't had alot of motivation to cook lately. It's almost like I'm eating because I have to and not because I'm enjoying it. Can anyone help me to feel more inspired/excited about my food? I take a multi vitamin everyday but I'm still concerned that my diet is lacking in the nutrients that are in veggies. And my teeth are taking a beating too, granted I hadn't been to the dentist in 2 years but when I did go I had 10 cavities - yikes! Any suggestions/kind words would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: frustrated and want a big crunchy salad new
      #290500 - 11/18/06 08:46 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

do you have heathers cookbook, the key is that you have to force yourself to be motivated to cook or you will just eat all the same easy to prepare stuff over and over again.
I myself am addicted to baked potato/sweet potato topped with well cooked beans and veggies with one of two sauces that i kniw agree with me, i eat it twice a week for dinner, i do lots of varieties of beans dips for lunch with chopped veggies, but not lettuces as they don't agree with me, i find spinach and arugula a gree with me fine, but romain is out. I make falafel and tahini sauces pasta with roasted red pepper sauce and lots of cooked veggies, little pizzas are a good idea, lots of SF base with roasted veggies on top, you can put chicken pieces too, an easy pizza that is neat is fajita pizza, all you need is pitas, salsa, chicken rosated red peppers and soy cheese and there you have a really yummy but different tasting pizza, also try making cheeseless pesto to use instead of tomato sauce in pastas and pizzas, all sorts of different sauces make everything taste different. Good luck and try to expand as much as you can.

#290526 - 11/18/06 11:27 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Hi, Czukster--

To me it seems like a difficult thing to give advice if someone can't tolerate veggies. No question they are healthy, providing nutrients you need and variety that keeps you inspired. I don't do well with salads either, but some of the things that you'd put in a salad can be steamed or cooked in some way that would make them more tolerable. LOL, iceberg lettuce we can definitely live without, it has little nutritional value anyway. If you like nuts, you can grind them up and add them to recipes or sprinkle them on top of other dishes for interest. Fresh fruit can be eaten with pretzels or cooked into rice puddings, etc.

Are you using a soluble fiber supplement? I'm finding that using SF, I can tolerate more foods.

I'm not a dentist, but I'm not comfortable with your statement connecting your diet with an increase in cavities. Theoretically, if you're taking vitamins, you're not missing out on those nutrients.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#290528 - 11/18/06 01:01 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Miso, can you give us some more specifics on your potato dish? What kind of beans, sauces, and veggies do you add? And can you eat the peel? Do you use canned beans or make them from dried?

Are certain veggies better with the sweet potato than others?

This sounds so good!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#290531 - 11/18/06 01:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Methinks that someone needs to explore some new recipes!

IF can be fun. Read Heather's book and you will see how much fun she has devising safe/nutritious recipes. Most veggie dishes can be adapted and made IBS-friendly. Eating veggies need not be boring. Eating veggies/fruits is fun and not terrifying.

Learn which produce items agree with you best. There is a world full of cuisines with aromas and ingredients to inspire you.

Raw salads are not my best friend--I do not eat them anymore. However, my diet is very colourful and when I get in a food rut or bored I try something new or try something old in a new way. I think, my advice to you would be to do a little recipe surfing, to expand your spice repertoire. Do you have a food processor? It's a time saver as well as a tool for making heavenly soups and sauces. (I'm a big kitchen gadget freak, I admit) Make a new dip. Try a stir-fry or a curry or a risotto. Bake something divine. Make time to shop and cook. Invite friends/family.

Honestly...eating well for IBS is NEVER boring and my health does not suffer one iota.

If you're craving texture (i.e. crunch) in your foods, try roasting or baking or grilling veggies and fruit. The natural sweetness of the veggies/fruit carmelizes so beautifully.

Kate, IBS-D.

#290541 - 11/18/06 03:44 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

for veggies i usually do cut green beans, baby peas and spinach, all from frozen that i stir fry with any small bean, like blackeye, adzuki, lentils etc, the smaller the easier they seem to digest, i use well rinsed cannefd beans. for suaces i use annie's naturals dressings, the honey mustard and roasted red pepper vinegrettes are extremely low fat and the ingredients are basic and organic. I also make my own arugula pesto and roasted red pepper pesto.
I bake the potatoes and i stirfry the beans and veggies and sauce and pour overtop the opened baked potato, so yummy.
i don't do well with tomatoes, but you could use tomato sauce with the white potatoes, but the honey mustard is really great with the sweet potato.
hope that helps, give it a try.

#290654 - 11/19/06 10:15 PM
czukster

Thank you so much for your kind reply! I know that's what needs to be done I'm just really busy and have like zippo time to cook and yes, am in a serious rut. And I want a food processor sooooo badly - have wanted for awhile. New knifes and a food processor. I want to make alfredo and stuff like mock lasagna with soft tofu. Alright, it's settled, I'm just going to have to get myself one for Christmas. Again, thanks for your uplifting words!

#290655 - 11/19/06 10:22 PM
czukster

Thank you for all of your great ideas! They are right up my alley - easy to prepare and also use alot of ingredients I already own. I've come to the conclusion that a food processor must indeed be purchased - promptly. I guess it could also be true that I've had a hard time accepting that I'm just going to have to learn to find the time and energy to cook for myself every day or more than just my days off and I just won't have the luxury of going out very often. I don't eat out often now for fear of most places and the expensive so when I'm uninspired I wind up just eating a lot of incomplete meals. But again, thanks for the great ideas!

#290656 - 11/19/06 10:27 PM
czukster

You know, I looked at Heather's cookbook a long time ago in the library and I remember thinking that the recipes seemed to contain alot of things that I just don't keep on hand regularly and couldn't afford to buy. I've just got to find more time for putting more energy into my food. God bless my sensitive tummy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1667 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1634

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review