All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this gas?
      #290053 - 11/14/06 12:35 PM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

Whenever I'm having an IBS episode, I describe my discomfort as a "brick in my gut". It's a heavy feeling that permeates my entire body and mind. I'm wondering if it's simply gas? Is it possible to have gas without being "gassy" if you know what I mean? I hardly ever pass gas and luckily don't have issues with stinkiness (I eat a totally pure diet- maybe that's why).

I ate some raw cabbage a few hours ago and I'm now feeling pretty miserable. I wish I could visualize exactly what is happening in my gut to give me this feeling; maybe then I'd be able to resist foods that I know are risky!

IBS sux.

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this gas? new
      #290068 - 11/14/06 03:22 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I used to get a similar feeling that ended in D everytime. It happened when I had too many vegetables, or a big glass of soy milk. I think it was due to gas. I started taking Beano when I had gas-producing foods, and it worked right away, no more problems.

If it is gas caused by foods such as the cabbage, then Beano could help a lot.

--------------------
Kat

#290077 - 11/14/06 04:09 PM
shandy

Funny you mention Beano because I actually took 4 of them when I started eating the cabbage - I think it's a great enzyme. But an hour later, I ate a little bit more (without Beano) and that's when the discomfort started. Now (about 3 hours later), I'm actually kinda gassy - so maybe that's all my brick-in-the-gut is after all! All these years I've been trying to figure it out...and it's just plain old gas?????

I've always denied getting gas and paid no attention to the remedies for it... Soooooo, how do you get rid of gas in the tummy???

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#290089 - 11/14/06 04:54 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hmm Can't tell for certain, but if the Beano was fine the first round of cabbage, and the second round you didn't take it and noticed problems then that could be your culprit.

Try the Beano as it says to take, 1 per 1/2 cup of food. Also maybe try cooking the cabbage really soft, or eating more SF to buffer it, it could be the IF is simply giving you trouble.

I don't get gas now that I take Beano, so I've never really figured out how to 'get rid of it' once you have it. You can try Gas-X or fennel tea.

I hope you figure it out!

--------------------
Kat

#290099 - 11/14/06 05:52 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

shandy, what does it mean when you say "totally pure" diet? I've been a hardcore organic vegan in the past, and mine always still stink no matter what. Granted there is a difference to the stink. LOL.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#290131 - 11/15/06 05:52 AM
shandy

I don't eat anything processed - nothing in a can, jar, bottle or package (not by choice, IBS has made this decision for me). Probably the biggest factor in my lack of stinkiness is that I don't eat any soy products - I'm terribly sensitive to it. When I did eat soy... well... it was a different story.

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#290160 - 11/15/06 07:55 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Unfortunately, Heather's fennel tea didn't work for me, though it seems to work for others. I buy Yogi Teas Stomach Ease Tea, and brew two tea bags to drink after each meal. It REALLY helps me with gas, and also aids in food digestion.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1639 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1439

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review