All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Would you switch?
      #289891 - 11/13/06 09:44 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

If the only two choices you had were IBS-D or IBS-C, which would you "prefer"? And why?

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Would you switch? new
      #289893 - 11/13/06 10:08 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I'm an A, so I've gotten a fair dose of both. And honestly, I prefer the C. I get less pain with the C, although I get more bloating and gas. Psychologically, I think I have a stronger association between D and "being sick" - I perceive an episode of D as evidence of a something wrong in a way that I don't with C (if that makes any sense).
I find dealing with D more stressful, too. Running to the bathroom, having to find a bathroom if I'm out, enduring the cramping, etc. With C, all I usually have to do is be patient and eat more IF.
This, of course, is completely my own subjective experience, and not meant to imply that I think C-ers have it easy!

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#289897 - 11/13/06 10:14 AM
shandy

I've never been D, so sometimes I'd like to "try" it, if you know what I mean. The only thing I think would be "nice" about being D is that people can understand it better. If you tell someone you have IBS, they assume you're D, and they'll make accomodations for you. They'll get it when you say you can't spend all day on a speedboat or don't feel like going out ... but when you're C and just have a bloated gut and an all-over toxic feeling, you don't get nearly the sympathy. NO, I DON'T WANNA GO ANYWHERE!!! I just want to poop!!!!!

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#289900 - 11/13/06 10:35 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm a stable A with D tendencies when I'm not stable.

Being constipated is no picnic, but I'd still choose it over D.

#289904 - 11/13/06 10:58 AM
cos1997

Reged: 09/05/06

Good question. I am more IBS-A, so like others, I have my time with both. Honestly, I prefer C - I don't have a job that allows bathroom trips all the time. I can sit and suffer the discomfort of C, even if I have to do so in silence (as much as my stomach would allow anyway). Besides, I think I just feel worse when I have D - more run-down, more sick, more hating my stomach for being what it is.

#289908 - 11/13/06 11:16 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I'm 99% of the time D, with a recent episode of C and I hated the C, however, my decision is not based on the C or D it's the UnGodly, gut wrenching, up for hours on end, nauseating, labor pain, PAIN. If I could have D without all the pain, I guess I would have D..........

Just my opinion

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#289911 - 11/13/06 11:37 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Very good question. I was wondering that myself. I am primarily D so the times that I am C are not as debilitating I guess as they are for someone who is a full-blown C. I kind of like when I'm C (in a sick way!) b/c then at least I don't worry about the bathroom so much and have panic attacks when I have to go out. Although C seems terrible too... you never know when you might have to "go" and the discomfort must keep you from enjoying anything. Ahhh....the lesser of two evils

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#289914 - 11/13/06 12:01 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I had a week-long dose of D when I was on antibiotics, and it was great. I know that sounds weird, but C is awful. It's painful, and it makes me feel fat, bloated, and uncomfortable. If I had D instead of C, at least my pants would always fit comfortably.

And Shandy's right; I think people understand more if you have D. It's something nearly everyone has experienced at one time or another. But when you're "all backed up" with C, most people can't relate to that, and I think it's more embarassing to try to explain!

The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#289917 - 11/13/06 12:12 PM
shandy

That's how I feel, Lisa. I feel so CLEANSED on the rare instances that I'm D, but one thing I forget about is the pain... I could deal with the inconvenience (I work from home and don't get out much), but I'm pretty sure the gut-wrenching pain would get old quickly.

I wonder if the pain from IBS constipation is different from "regular" constipation. I was once constipated from pain meds after surgery and it just wasn't all that bad. Uncomfortable, but not day-wrecking. On my bad days, I can barely function - I hurt all over and just feel awful.

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#289918 - 11/13/06 12:20 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I wouldn't switch for anything! Though I'm mostly D, I have some C at times as well, and I really hate C. I suspect a horrible episode of C I had about a year and a half ago is when I "tore myself a new one" (I have a fissure). Though it's said that chronic D can create one also.

Being plugged up makes me really, really, really nervous ... and I'm not that way by nature. I can live with the specter of D because I know I'll at least stay cleaned out. That probably sounds weird....

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#289921 - 11/13/06 01:16 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I don't have a choice I switch anyway. I am IBS-A. I don't think I could choose one over the other because it depends on the situation, I would say C but the pain and spasms that come with extreme C are unbearable. On the other hand, the inability to control when you have to go and how often is not fun either.
Can I choose to not have IBS at all???

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#289926 - 11/13/06 02:09 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"If I had D instead of C, at least my pants would always fit comfortably. "

LOL if only this were true. Back when I had bad D episodes I'd be so bloated I looked 9 months pregnant.

I don't think I prefer one over the other, but D has caused embarassment (people don't always understand) and been a nuisance overall. It's hard to explain to a prof why you have to leave in the middle of class every day, if you manage to get there in the first place.

I get C sometimes if I take too much Imodium, and it's heaven for a couple days. I can't imagine what it is like to be C for a longer period of time though. From other's posts it must be horrible.

--------------------
Kat

#289968 - 11/13/06 07:52 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Not sure what non-IBS C pain is like... but when my C gets REALLY bad, it turns into a horrible back ache. So it hurts everywhere!! I agree, Shandy, D feels incredibly "cleansing"...

I work in an office, mostly full of men, so escaping to the restroom isn't really an issue for me. And it helps that the restroom is usually empty since there are so few women to share it with.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#289983 - 11/14/06 05:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It seems both C and D may be just as bad.

A study in Japan screened 2495 students using the ROME II criteria. They identified 128 IBS-C, 117 IBS-D and 23 IBS unclassified. Using the GSRS - a scale used to rate IBS symptoms - they found that both IBS-C and IBS-D rated the intensity of their C and D, indigestion and abdominal pain the same.

Reference
Shiotani, A., T. Miyanishi, and T. Takahashi, 2006: Sex differences in irritable bowel syndrome in Japanese university students. Journal of Gastroenterology, 41, 562-568.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#290040 - 11/14/06 11:21 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think I would but I have a suspicion that might be just because the grass is always greener on the other side.

It seems like it would be nice not to have to worry whether there's a restroom handy but the few times I've actually been C for more than a couple of days, I've been pretty miserable.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#290059 - 11/14/06 01:22 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

As much as I hate C at it's worst...not going for 4 days, gassy, bloated, cramping, nausea, and terrible spasms, I don't think I'd switch to D. Being a teacher, it would be nearly impossible for me to do my job as a D. When I have had D, I've been miserable, too. I think I've gotten used to the C, it's been a lifelong deal. And most of the time, it's not at its extreme...thankfully! I feel for you D'ers!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#290060 - 11/14/06 01:46 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I'm an A and I have to say that I definitely choose the C over the D. D for me is very dehabilitating. C isn't fun, but I do feel like I have more control over it than I do D. Also, if I have D and try to stop it with Immodium or Peptol, I end up with C. At least with C if I try to stop it I don't end up with D.

I know that the grass is always greener, but wouldn't it be fun if we could change lives with someone for even a day?

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#290063 - 11/14/06 01:55 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I'm an A these days but usually a D. I've had C once in a while and it was awful. The urgency of D is very confining but the terrible LOUD gas I had with C was just as miserable if I was around people! Just learning to accept my body and do the best I can with what I have, is my daily work.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

No, I would not switch. new
      #290065 - 11/14/06 02:18 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

It's a terrible thing, but I am comfortable with my d.

Because of Heather I am able to provide for my family, work with local NA groups, be active in the church, and spend time with my children and grandchildren without worrying about where the nearest bathroom is located.

So ... thank you Heather.
I would not switch for a minute.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#290102 - 11/14/06 06:10 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Oh yeah!
I've been D to the point of needing Lotronex and C to the point of using Miralax now.

I would much rather have the D. This C is killing me. Plus, I'm more anxious and depressed with this C and pain, pain, pain. Insolubles are hard to handle...but so necessary for C. It's hard to find a routine that helps.

Just my opinion, of course!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#290114 - 11/14/06 07:01 PM
shandy

Tell me more about Miralax. I had a doc mention it once, but it didn't come up again.

Yeah, finding a routine... is impossible. Just when I think I have it figured out..."it" stops working and I feel as if I'm back to square one!

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#290149 - 11/15/06 07:28 AM
Jordy

What do you want to know about Miralax? Unless your C, I wouldn't take it. Are you really C?

But, it wouldn't hurt to try it for a while either. It's harmless. I don't think I would go without it, unfortunately. I tried to wean myself off of it....but I got very C. What are your BMs like?

--------------------

#290153 - 11/15/06 07:36 AM
shandy

I'm not C, I'm incomplete. I go every day, but I can't get it all out. I seem to have impaired motility - stuff just gets stuck at different points in my intestinal tract and won't come out without "assistance".

My BMs are mushy unless I eat a lot of IF the day before. They're also rather pale, which I've heard has something to do with a lack of bile production...?

I think the doc said that the miralax would help "retrain" my bowel and that I would have to be on it for several months and then wean myself off, which sounded delightful.

How does it work for you? Tell me all your gory details!

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

#290265 - 11/16/06 10:20 AM
Jordy

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. Somedays I thank God I have it...other days I think it is horrible for me!

It does help me to go. I wasn't going at all! But the consistancy is messy, incomplete, continuous small movements throughout the day. Never complete. Maybe because I don't take in enough fiber.

I never heard that it retrains the bowel, though. I thought it just helped with bowels but didn't improve their ability to do it naturally. In fact, I often fear I might become dependent on it and need more and more....although the docs assure me Miralax is not like that because it is an osmotic laxative...not what you normally think of when you hear the word laxative.

My bowels are also sort of on the pale side! Every time I try to go off the Miralax....I got horrible C again. I don't know what to do about Miralax.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10618

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review