Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Help Need Safe IBS Probiotics and Safe IF preparing for surgery
      #289862 - 11/13/06 06:23 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi,

Someone suggested probiotics sine I have having a majory surgery soon, when should I start taking them, (it), what exactly are probiotics and what kind should I get or try??

I do think one of my biggest problems with staying stable is my IF content, which I feel may be, at times, close to none, I get scared of IF, what is a safe dose per day of IF and what is a safe IF for most??? Please help or I will be in the looney bin before my surgery even gets here!!!

Thanks tons!!

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help Need Safe IBS Probiotics and Safe IF preparing for surgery new
      #289863 - 11/13/06 06:32 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I only tried one type of probiotic and didn't notice any effect so I can't really recommend a specific one. Go to a health food store and ask them what they have, or check the refrigerated ones. Some people have suggested the BIO-K dairy-free ones. They come as soy yogurt containers. I'm actually going to give this type a try and will be picking some up today, I'll post if I have any noticeable difference from using them.

Probiotics replenish the good bacteria in your gut and help with digestion. Good bacteria are depleted when you take a course of antibiotics, so if you take probiotics at the same time it should lessen the effect. I would start taking the probiotics now well before your surgery, and continue them for 1 month after your antibiotics are done.

For IF it is really individual but here's what I do. Any vegetable I eat is cooked really soft. I'll have berries in my oatmeal or blended in a shake. I find it easier to eat a little bit with every meal and snack then trying to only eat it at supper time. So my day may go like this, oatmeal with some berries (as little as 4-5 if I'm having a 'go' day), strawberry applesauce snack, lunch is turkey with lettuce and tomato on white bread, afternoon snack of soup with pasta and cooked veggies in it, supper of rice, chicken and some cooked veggies.

Hope this helps,

--------------------
Kat

Probiotics new
      #289866 - 11/13/06 06:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Probiotics are dietary supplements that contain potentially beneficial bacteria and yeast.

There is strong research evidence that shows the probiotics Lactobacilli, Bifidobacteria, VSL#3 and ProBatrix have a variety of theraputic effects. VSL#3 contains a mixture of Bifidobacterium (B. longum, B. infantis, and B. breve), Lactobacillus (L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, and L. plantarum) and Streptococcus. It is quite expensive. ProBatrix contains the bacteria Escherichia coli M-17. I am not sure it is available from a HFS.

I would ask a knowledgeable individual at a HFS for a probiotic that contained a variety of species of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria.

It is important to know that it can take 8-12 weeks or longer before probiotics show significant effects.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Probiotics new
      #289869 - 11/13/06 07:08 AM
K2

I'm so confused about Probiotics. I tried one type over the summer and after 3 packs (90 days) I noticed absolutely nothing. This could mean I don't need them, or that they were not effective. They were BIO-K non-refrigerated capsules. I was going to try the BIO-K soy yogurt refrigerated kind in hopes that I will notice something.

What is best to get? They come in powders (are powders refrigerated?), capsules, non-refrigerate capsules, yogurt.. so confusing!

I just don't want to waste my money trying a product again that isn't effective..

--------------------
Kat

#289871 - 11/13/06 07:21 AM
Syl

Excellent question. I have tried a number of them too. I have not found an effective either. The problem appears to be that manufactures stuff as many probiotics as they can into the formula without know if they are effective or not. I have been looking for probiotic blends that contains some of the species of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacterium mentioned in my previous posting. I have not found one yet. I would try VSL#3 but it is very expensive.

Generally speaking I would buy prepackaged doses in gellatine caps. I would keep them refrigerated. There is no harm in putting one or two in your pocket or purse to use later in the day. They are not that fragile but they should be kept cool for long term storage. If you can tolerate dairy then yogurt definitely is a good sources Lactobacillus acidophilus.

I am hoping to prepare an overview of the research literature on probiotics to post someday.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#289875 - 11/13/06 07:32 AM
K2

Thanks

Definetly no dairy! BIO-K has a dairy-free soy yogurt probiotic and I would try that one maybe. I can buy them individually so I guess it's not as much of a money-commitment. Wow the VSL ones are expensive.. Too bad probiotics aren't prescription medication.

--------------------
Kat

#289877 - 11/13/06 07:35 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

What about Acedypholys??? Spelling may not be correct

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

acidophilus new
      #289879 - 11/13/06 07:38 AM
Syl

Yes - Lactobacillus acidophilus is a probiotic known to have beneficial affects. You can buy in capsules at the HFS or you can get from yogurt if you are not dairy sensitive.

--------------------

Soy yogurt is a good source of acidophilus... new
      #289884 - 11/13/06 08:50 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

but read the ingredients to make sure it's completely dairy-free!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Lisa Marie - Soy yogurt is a good source of acidophilus... new
      #289885 - 11/13/06 08:52 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I live in Ontario, Canada. Have you found a good soy yogurt in Canada? Thanks, Debbie IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1613 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review