All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
First Trimester troubles
      #289785 - 11/12/06 02:04 AM
JP

Reged: 04/03/05

Hi everyone, I am 7 weeks pregnant and finding that I can't seem to tolerate anything other than plain crackers. Anybody else experience this? Usually my symptoms only get bad if I don't eat right but at the moment even the most plain (usually safe) food leaves me running for the bathroom and is becoming a real problem. I have an appointment with the doctor for next week but any suggestions, info or advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
JP

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: First Trimester troubles new
      #289788 - 11/12/06 05:57 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Hi.
I'm ending up my 10th week. I've had terrible nausea. No vomiting but with the nausea around so much, I can hardly eat. However, I bought some ginger root. You should be able to get it at any grocery store. Cut up about a teaspoon full, put it in a cup and pour hot water over it. If you'd prefer, there are bags of Ginger tea. I bought the Yogi's Lemon Ginger tea. The first several weeks, I sipped on the ginger tea on and off all day and it really helped. I also keep Ginger snaps around (little round cookies -most stores carry them). For me, the worst thing I could do was to let my stomach get empty. Then the nausea doubled and then I couldn't eat anything. You should try to eat something every two hours or so to keep your tummy from being empty.

HOpe that helps. And if it gets much worse, don't wait till your appointment to call your doctor and get some advice.

Feel better soon!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#289818 - 11/12/06 02:22 PM
JP

Reged: 04/03/05

Thanks Flipada. I have had nausea on and off and have noticed the same thing about letting my tummy get empty. At the moment it is the diarrhea and tummy dramas that are the worst part. I will try the ginger and see how things go. Thanks for your help.

Keep a full stomach new
      #289847 - 11/12/06 08:45 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I know it's difficult to eat anything when you are feeling that way, but I agree about keeping your stomach full. I had very little d with my pregnancies but terrible nausea. I ate ginger crackers (sold in the supermarket...I wasn't on these boards then so I'm not sure if they're totally safe) and I kept cheerios nearby me at all times to much on and keep the nausea at bay. Hang in there and congratulations on your pregnancy.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#289853 - 11/13/06 12:31 AM
JennB

Reged: 02/19/05

Congratulations! I'm in my 20th week and completely understand because I, too, had a ROUGH first trimester. Here are the recommended things I tried that didn't work for me (but might for you):

fresh ginger, fresh ginger steamed in water, crystallized ginger, decaffeinated ginger tea, real ginger ale, chamomille, FF crackers, crackers by the bed, crackers before getting up, acupressure bands (they sorta work for a bit but give me an excruciating headache), every safe hard candy you can imagine, prescribed anti-nausea pills, prescribed and specially made for me by the company that makes cancer patient drugs anti-nausea pills, B-Natal lozenges, anti-morning sickness hypnotherapy CD's, Odwalla drinks, aromatherapy, smelling lemons, increasing prenatals, B6, bananas, Luna bars, Morning Sickness Magic.

Here are the things that did help:

Smarties
Preggie Pop drops
lowering my stress
more sleep than ever
small frequent meals
slow deep breaths
smelling oranges
eating snacks constantly:

-dry Rice Chex
-plain mini bagels (Sarah Lee)
-Thomas bagel bread squares (safe & 12 grams of protein)
-Safeway Fat Free graham crackers
-French bread (had the Safeway pre-slice it)
-Mashed potatoes (boiled and then mashed with a hand masher with nothing in them except salt)
-White rice with fat free vegetable broth
-Plain pasta (later I could add salt & pepper & eventually mushroom or veggie broth - it took quite awhile to get down tomato sauce or "butter" and "cheese", though)
-Plain white english muffins (I get my HFS brand)(eventually I was able to add a bit of rice butter to this one)
-pb&j (sliced french bread with that peanut butter that you grind yourself at the HFS and jelly not jam - couldn't handle real fruit)
-I also made a great big pot of vegetable soup on Sundays and ate that throughout the week with fat free crackers when I could handle it.

I'll post again if I think of anything else. For so many years, I really looked forward to getting pregnant because so many people report that their IBS symptoms go away during pregnancy and/or they could eat whatever they wanted. I've found that's not the case with me, but I have been able to incorporate tons of other safe foods that I was always to afraid to try and work in. Good luck!

p.s. Keep in mind that a bunch of peppermint is not safe - my doc made me quit my pep capsules, Altoids and pep tea cold turkey and that was REALLY hard for me - I'd lived on those things for years!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3705 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 782

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review