Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Luvox, Toxic For IBS?
      #289505 - 11/09/06 02:45 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Have any of you taken this?
I was prescribed 50 mgs.
Then moved to 100 last week.

In the last week my IBS has been worse than it has in over a month.
I normally have C and trapped gas, with bloating.
The last week the C, trapped gas, and bloating all got worse, and I had the runs, or d.

I also though was mistakenly having Applesauce with High Fructose Corn Syrup, and only stopped on Monday.
Nevertheless, is it possible the doseage increase could cause me to have c, trapped gas, and bloating?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Luvox, Toxic For IBS? new
      #289507 - 11/09/06 03:05 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

could be the jump is making thingsa worse temporarily, how long were you on the 50mg?
i know a few non ibsers who are thrilled with the results they have had with luvox, what reason were you prescribed it for, as it is generally regarded as an out of date drug by most docs in Canada?

#289534 - 11/09/06 05:58 PM
Naturapanic

50 mgs for a couple weeks.
To help with anxiety, other SSRIs made it so I was too restless.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#289552 - 11/09/06 07:07 PM
Naturapanic

I'm wondering how much of a role the increase of Luvox is playing, and if I should request going off the drug.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#289554 - 11/09/06 07:12 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Just wanted to say I would personally think it was the meds that made your IBS worse, not the applesauce. In any case try finding the applesauce without HFCS to make sure (less HFCS is healthier anyway). Sometime when you're feeling better you might want to try something with HFCS again to see if you really are sensitive to it or not. HFCS is in so many things, it would be better to not have to worry about it affecting your IBS, just be careful for now until you feel better.

--------------------
Kat

#289558 - 11/09/06 07:22 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

HFCS is in so many things, it would be better to not have to worry about it affecting your IBS, j

Oh, the freedom this would allow?

How did HCFS get to be an IBS trigger anyhow? Or isn't it? Am I afraid of it for nothing? Or is there real reason to avoid it. I have to do some reading on the site to research this! It would be nice to know why I am avoiding something. I don't even know!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

K2 new
      #289562 - 11/09/06 07:45 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Where you stable before you tried HCFS products?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#289563 - 11/09/06 07:47 PM
K2

I don't avoid it. It isn't such a 'clear-cut' trigger such as dairy or red meat. It also may be that the foods I eat that contain HFCS don't have a large enough portion to cause me problems. It's harder to isolate HFCS as the trigger-ingredient in a food. For instance, a cereal might contain HFCS, but it may also contain a grain which you don't do well with, or some other artificial ingredients.

If it's causing you anxiety and frustration trying to deal with HFCS or fructose, try not worrying about it for a week and see how you do. Anxiety, negative thoughts towards foods and frustration can be making your symptoms worse than the food itself. If after a week you still notice problems when you have something with HFCS, then it would be worth it to cut it out. While reading about it will help, I think you have researched it plenty.. it's time to put it to the test.

It takes time to find all your triggers. It also takes time to learn to trust the foods you know and have tested to make sure are safe for you.

--------------------
Kat

Re: K2 new
      #289565 - 11/09/06 07:51 PM
K2

I stabilized on a very limited Heather's diet. I mostly ate rice, chicken breasts, carrots, potatos (sweet and reg.), turkey, bananas etc. This is because I used to be a really picky eater, didn't like any fish/seafood and didn't like most veggies. Most of the foods I ate were whole, natural, unprocessed and safe. After a couple months I started expanding my diet, and eating a lot more 'prepared' tasty foods. I never looked at HFCS or fructose and didn't notice problems with either.

--------------------
Kat

#289572 - 11/09/06 08:26 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Perhaps a non-medicinal ingredient (in the Luvox) is triggering your attacks?

Kate, IBS-D.

#289575 - 11/09/06 09:08 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks to all who responded.

I need to clairfy.

1)
I began the increase from 50 mg to 100 mg of Luvoc last Wednesday.
I began having Applesauce with High Fructose Corn Syrup last Friday through Monday.
Once I discovered it contained High Fructose Corn Syrup on Monday I stopped using it and resumed the non High Fructose Corn Syrup Applesauce.
I ate almost 3/4 of a box of Cookie Crisp cereal on Tue and Wed, it was on sale Tuesday and it was so tasty.

2)
Beginning on Sunday through Monday I had d.
I also became unstable and had more trapped gas and bloating.
When I had the Cookie Crisp, it got worse.

3)
Since I stopped having the applesauce, I no longer have d, but I have a lot more trapped gas and bloating.
I was told Luvox might cause people to get c.
This feels reminsicant of last year when I started serequel, and how it dried me up.

4)
Given all this, I wanted to know, do you feel the Luvox is likely the cause?
If it were the High Fructose Corn Syrup in the Applesauce, my body should have recovered by now.
Same goes for the Cookie Crisp.
It appears my body is just not as stable chemically.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#289587 - 11/10/06 06:04 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

other than the trapped gas etc is the luvox working for you in other ways? Because maybe you just need to ride it out for a week ir two and see what happens, also if it does make you C, you can take natural things to help that as we all discuss on the boards, meds are tricky that way, they work for some things and sometimes cause others, its a tradeoff and you have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons.
I take lexapro and it works very well for me, wellbutrin made me too wired and anxious, so i know the feeling when a med makes you feel that way. And now it makes sense why you are on luvox since it is one of th emore sedating drugs compared to some of the other ssri's, there is also trazadone i think, but that might just put you right to sleep.
Good luck and hopefully in a week or so things will rectify themselves.

#289589 - 11/10/06 06:19 AM
Naturapanic

Thanks for the advice.
I take Benefiber, Acidophillus, and Miralax but still feel dry.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#289719 - 11/11/06 08:19 AM
Naturapanic

Could the increase from 50mg to 100mg be the reason for worse conditions?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#289777 - 11/11/06 09:23 PM
Naturapanic

I don't get how I went from being stable to now very unstable, it has to be the increase in the drug.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2079 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3204

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review