Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Wind...kale? new
      #289198 - 11/07/06 04:40 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Wind, how do you prepare your kale? I want to try it but I've only had it cooked with loads of fat stuff in the past.
One hint about the collards, down here in the south they say the best taste comes out if they are frozen first. I would wash them good, blanch them, then freeze them. Just thought I'd pass this along from all my southern great cook friends. But they load the fat pork and other big no-nos on top also.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

And chard? new
      #289213 - 11/07/06 06:41 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How do you prepare swiss chard? Which is the best? Red, green? Rainbow? IYO!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Wind...kale? new
      #289309 - 11/07/06 07:11 PM
Wind

Kale is easy! I tear the leaves into bite-size bits & discard the ribs or stems. Then I just boil the leaves until tender (about ten or 15 minutes) in sea-salted water & drain. To make it ultra-gentle for myself I give it a quick blend. I season it with ginger and tamari and a little rice vinegar. It's also great with a honey-dijon kind of dressing or with a little curry or hot pepper sauce. A little vinegar gives it a nice tang (i.e. rice vinegar, balsalmic or red wine vinegar). I find that boiling (versus steaming or braising) makes the kale more tender and takes the sting of bitterness away. It's wonderful boiled in veg. stock or chicken stock as well.

I really love it served with potatoes (or any root veg. or squash). (...with a little carmelized onion or shallots or roasted garlic if you can handle it)

Greens shrink alot, so what seems at first to be a huge amount reduces significantly with cooking.

Thanks for sharing your collards tips. I haven't seen it available frozen here. I did a little checking online about the best healthy way to serve them--"The Moosewood" cookbooks have a lot of ideas. I think the best IBS-safe way to prepare them would be to boil them until tender in an aromatic broth (maybe add some ginger to the boiling liquid?). Fake chicken broth would be much better than the pork fat route and also impart tons of flavour. Maybe miso would add alot of flavour.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: And chard? new
      #289310 - 11/07/06 07:18 PM
Wind

Confession: I love all of the above--red chard, white or green chard, and rainbow chard.

They're rather like spinach. Red chard is probably the sweetest. I like mixing up chard and spinach. My most tummy friendly way to prepare chard is to chop leaves into strips and then boil until tender, usually about 5 to 8 minutes. Often the stems are delicious and tender/edible too, so I'll chop some of them up finely and get them into the pot (cauldron???) for a few minutes before I add the leaves. I prefer to blend/food process the chard for easiest digestion.

Actually, I find personally that blending the greens makes them really gentle and easy to digest--stress-free! Serve them with your favourite SF food, seasoned to suit your mood and enjoy!

Kate, IBS-D.

#289313 - 11/07/06 07:40 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I've never seen the collards frozen in a store only fresh ones frozen at home.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#289321 - 11/07/06 09:00 PM
Wind

That's a great idea--to freeze your own greens. I'm such a glutton, though, that they get gobbled up too fast.

I think, from what I've read, that to pre-cook the collards (or other greens) makes them easily digestible and tender. For example, I might cook up a few bunches of kale or swiss chard and then warm them up or stir-fry them with other veggies or some onion, spices, etc.

It's rather embarrassing, but I do best with well cooked and easy to digest food/IF--and there's no aches or cramps after eating. If something is too coarse or too tough, I have horrible spasms, later, or have a Dattack. Therefore, I make it as easy to tummy as possible via cooking. I'm not into the barely cooked or borderline raw stuff a bit.

Kale is delicious when well cooked. I never expected to really like it!

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 647 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2953

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review