All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Losing Weight
      #288960 - 11/03/06 08:02 PM
Lewisham

Reged: 11/03/06

I cannot lose weight eating on an IBS Diet. Any suggestions? Can I eat Lean Cusine?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Losing Weight new
      #288961 - 11/03/06 08:32 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I don't know about Lean Cuisine, but at first I started to overdue the SF and felt like I was eating too much altogether. Is that what you might be doing? In other words, are your helpings of rice and pasta for example larger than your IF (like they should be) but not excessive? Once I cut back on the amount of my SF, I noticed I started to lose some weight. Also, I'm no longer eating doughnuts and cakes....here and there an IBS safe treat. I think I'm trying to be so strict that it's helping the weight come off (not for weight purposes, but for minimizing symptoms for once in my life.)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#288993 - 11/04/06 09:25 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Food SF is carbs. Too much carbs = weight gain irregardless of fat content in diet. Carbs release insulin = fat storage. Period. This diet is hard because it asks people to eat a highER carb diet and cut the fat...this really messes with your insulin (even if you aren't diabetic). Alot of people are hungry because they aren't eating enough fat (and protein is so important and rarely discussed) to sustain them throughout the day. Everyone has to find their balance. One thing is for sure. If ANYONE wants to GET IBS - go on a low carb diet. Makes sense, doesn't it? Moderation, moderation, moderation. It may be the hardest thing to learn...after all.

#288995 - 11/04/06 10:13 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I have been following the diet for about a year now. I struggle to keep weight on, and want to gain more but have a hard time. I try to eat a lot of safe protein, good fats, and plenty of carbs, but the weight just doesn't come on. The only time in my life I managed to gain weight, was when I ate hamburgers and fried foods for a few months. That also sent my IBS spiralling out of control and I suffered a lot. As soon as I started on this diet, I have tried hard to regain some weight.

I agree not all 'carbs' are healthy. Muffins, cakes, breads, etc can add to a weight problem and be high in sugar. White rice however has the same glycemic index as brown rice, and can be very healthy. Soluble fiber foods are healthy, in that they reduce the chances of heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. If you are concerned about blood sugar, you should have it tested. Most people should do fine with these foods, and do not get a high reading from eating it. Even diabetics need some 'carbs' but have to limit and regulate it properly. If you are concerned about sugar, try finding out which SF foods have the lowest amounts of sugar, and go from there.

Someone who is on this IBS diet is eating a much healthier diet than most North Americans. We don't get extra sugar from pop, chocolate bars, donuts, etc. We don't get bad fats from fried greasy foods. We don't drink extra calories/sugar found in most drinks.

Also for weight loss, portion control is key. Just gotta make sure not to eat too much.

I also agree that protein isn't given enough attention. The more protein you get, the less hungry you'll be. And if you're looking for healthy fats then salmon is a good example of good protein with good fat.

Moderation and finding the balance that works for you individually is hard, but don't give up!

--------------------
Kat

#288998 - 11/04/06 11:43 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I'm on a low-carb diet and this has helped me much more then the high-carb IBS diet. Low carb does not equal bad. I'm on my road to recovery because of it!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Re: sweetpea - question new
      #289004 - 11/04/06 12:37 PM
K2

I had read a previous post of yours from this summer where you said you did the Atkins for a long time and had IBS-related problems. Then when you switched to SF foods you had a better time. Are you still doing SF foods? You had also said you managed to lose some weight doing the IBS diet, has anything changed?

--------------------
Kat

#289005 - 11/04/06 12:58 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Thanks for asking. Well, I was trying everything to stop the diahrea, nothing working. Finally went 100% to heather's diet - also wasn't the best idea...went from D to terrible C because I dropped the fat too low...I don't do anything a little bit by the way. Now, I'm modifying it...getting fat back up to 25% - adding in insoluble fiber - even if it IS just lettuce and peas...keeping the protein UP / don't forget that, its important...and I'm also taking a vitamin and essential fatty acids. Things have - normalized. That is weird to say. I'll have an off day once in a while - but not often. Really, you just can't throw your body into some extreme diet (either way)...the body wants, needs and expects a healthy mix of proteins, fats and carb. Ketosis is NOT a normal state of being...I'm learning. There is no "formula"...there is balance though - for some people it comes naturally - for others it can take years to master and they really have to pay attention to it. I had to sort out alot of personal issues about food and what was and what was NOT causing my pain. More recently it looks like my allergies may be the source of MUCH of my pain...even IBS maybe. I wonder if there is research on that. Well, thanks for asking. Why do you ask? How are you doing?

#289006 - 11/04/06 01:12 PM
K2

I wasn't sure from your posts if you were C or D, and what sort of diet you were following.

I'm also trying to increase fat (trying to gain weight) and increase IF (cuz most of it is tasty, and lots of vitamins). I agree, it's easy to get into an extreme diet which is not balanced and healthy. When I first started this diet, I did really well with only SF and safe meats, and hardly any veggies/IF or oils. I had no D or C, totally normal BMs, and could have continued eating that way and been happy, but I don't think it was the healthiest choice.

Glad to hear you are still doing well. I'm doing good too, working on getting more veggies and good fat, and decreasing my anxiety with food and IBS in general.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2265 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review