All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
It used to be under control, until I got..............
      #288664 - 11/01/06 11:08 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I had noticed I had sparadic "D" on and off and was diagnosed with IBS 5 years ago. It has gotten somewhat worse but easily controlled and it didnt really bother me much. After I was diagnosed with a Giardia parasite one year ago, I have gotten much worse. I was treated with Flagyl and re-tested...its gone. But my IBS is uncontrollable now. Its really bad, that it is controlling my life. My husband and kids are tired of it too. I would have 3 weeks of great digestion and then 2 weeks of not sure-on and off-be near a bathroom- D today gone tomorrow sort of thing. Does this sound like normal IBS to you?? Its just so inconsistant texture of BM ETC...I am not in pain though, Just normal craps that come and go with the urge. I am getting very depressed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: It used to be under control, until I got.............. new
      #288676 - 11/01/06 11:30 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Sounds like IBS to me. Because you are more aware of your BMS now, you may be adding more anxiety to the mix so maybe it's happening more. That's what happens to me. Yes, it is truly a physical problem, but Heather and most doctors will also state that stress can exacerbate it (not CAUSE it! I know everyone thinks it's just my nerves...drives me crazy!) Try following the things on this site and see how it goes. As for your husband and kids, my husband used to get annoyed with it for awhile...pretend not to but I could tell that he was tired of missing things or being late b/c of my issues. He finally gets it now though and is very sympathetic. Only b/c he has had some anxiety/panic attacks of his own...for other reasons...so now he knows what I go through. I also printed out a sheet that Heather has somewhere (sorry don't know where) about IBS that you can give to friends and family. I highlighted the particulars that bother me for my husband to read and normally he would have thought it corny, etc., but he took me seriously this time. Maybe you could try that. You definitely need your family to understand as much as possible b/c you don't need any stress even if it's not intended. good luck

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#288701 - 11/01/06 02:09 PM
Joannelcoq

Thank you Line for your support.

Re: It used to be under control, until I got................ new
      #288799 - 11/02/06 11:26 AM
Joannelcoq

#288807 - 11/02/06 12:35 PM
sualeksa

Reged: 11/02/06

I have to say I know what you are going through. I had bouts of ibs on and off for years, then I had chemo now they are so much more frequent. I tried to talk to my oncologist; but he blew me off. I then tried my regular doctor, same results. After talking my head off I asked my breast surgeon if others had the same problem and she said yes, and refered me to a doctor who listened. But i have to say this site and all the information I've read here has helped more than anything. I was eating yogurt; switched to Activa but haven't noticed any diff. Think I'll look into the non-dairy yogurt. I don't know about you but for me its so nice to 'talk' to others who know what you are going thru.
The main thing is to watch what you eat, if it bothers you don't eat it any more. Stick with the safe foods.

#288813 - 11/02/06 12:45 PM
Joannelcoq

The thing is, I dont know what safe foods are anymore. I follow the EFI diet but something still triggers it. I think the antibiotics did something to my natural flora. I cant imagine what the chemo did to you. I hope your well and stay well. Thanks for your support. I am so bloated today and i didnt eat. My stomach is huffing and puffing....so uncomfortable but not painful.

#288817 - 11/02/06 12:56 PM
sualeksa

Reged: 11/02/06

I find that not eating makes it worse. I usually eat some rice or a baked potatoe and feel much better quickly. This site says to avoid pop but I drink caffiene free diet coke and it helps the bloating. I find drinking it close to room temperature works best for me.
Take care, hope you feel better.

#288869 - 11/03/06 04:08 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

As far as my body goes it sounds very normal. I had bad IBS symptons for a few years and then stablized for a couple of years, as of this August I had attacks again and have been trying to completely stablize ever since. I have great mornings and so so late afternoon, great whole days and so so whole days, it goes on and off - I was feeling very very distraught until I discovered the EFI diet and acacia powder - at least now I have a road map to follow and some good days - read the site - give the EFI diet a real try and be patient , all the people on the forum are very helpful. I do pray that your husband and children can be supportive as it is you going through this and I know that it can be very trying. This too shall pass - read up on the diet and fibres, sleep, teas, water, stress etc. Debbie IBS-A

Re: It used to be under control, until I got...a PARASITE........... new
      #288876 - 11/03/06 05:49 AM
Joannelcoq

But do you think the meds for ridding the parasite caused the damage in my intestines??

Re: It used to be under control, until I got...a PARASITE........... new
      #288879 - 11/03/06 06:02 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"But do you think the meds for ridding the parasite caused the damage in my intestines??"

IBS or antibiotics don't cause actual damage to the intestines. Antibiotics affect the good gut flora, and IBS has no visible damage. Have you had a colonoscopy?

As for having digestive problems after a parasite or round of antibiotics to deal with this, it is normal. You should try taking a probiotic to get the balance of good gut flora back. This could take up to a couple months to really work.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7498 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review