All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
GLYCERIN SUPPOSITORIES
      #288526 - 10/31/06 06:51 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

How many of you use these for your constipation? I have been having a really hard time the past week and hate, hate to use laxative since my stomach cramps so bad. My doctor had told me to get mag. citrate but the thought of drinking that bottle just did not appeal. So I was thinking of the suppositories or even an enama. I have never used either so any advice will be appreciated. By the way I do take fiber daily but sometimes, as we all know, it does not help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GLYCERIN SUPPOSITORIES new
      #288528 - 10/31/06 07:20 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

What do you mean daily fiber does not help "as we all know"? Taking a soluble fiber supplement is recommended and helped begin to stablize!

I can't speak to suppositories or enemas, however.

#288538 - 10/31/06 08:09 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

I am very familiar with glycerin suppositories. If you choose to use them, be very careful. I became dependent upon them. Every morning for about 3 years I used them. I did not have a complete evacuation with them either. It was hard not relying on them.I ended up having to use Miralax for several months, then slowly reduced the dosage as I added fiber back in to my diet after being on the BTC diet. I personally will never use them again.

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Snorkie-ECM new
      #288551 - 10/31/06 12:06 PM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Snorkie- I guess I did not make myself clear, what I meant is that I use fiber supplements daily - I started with the fiber pills - which did not sit well so I quit those. I then went to the CVS brand fiber mix. I use a spoonful twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I also add a stool softner since I take iron and other meds that can cause constipation. But sometimes despite that I will become constipated - I alternate between that and D. This time is worse than normal, due to the Lexapro the doctor put me on.
ECM - I really do not have the C all the time just occasionally. What do you use now?
Thanks for the help guys its just so hard to have to go and can't

Re: Snorkie-ECM new
      #288552 - 10/31/06 12:15 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Knock on wood - I drink a smoothie made with soy milk, ground flaxseed, acacia powder, banana, honey, & frozen fruit once a day, and have added enough ISF to my diet to keep me regular. again, knock on wood. As someone said the only thing predictable about IBS is that it is unpredictable. Every one is different.

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Sorry! new
      #288554 - 10/31/06 12:33 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I shouldn't respond so soon after waking up...

#288704 - 11/01/06 02:32 PM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

I've really tried to avoid laxative and have tried to find the most gentle way to find relief when my C is really bad. I've tried magnesium citrate and suppositories and definately prefer the citrate. To me, it's like drinking Sprite. However, use laxatives only when you must. I won't actually use them until I've gone more than a week with a BM. After almost a year on the diet, I am finally stabilized (well, for a month and half now) and haven't had to take any prescriptions or laxatives, just acacia fiber (4 tsp).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6646 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2311

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review