All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Help! doctor told me this
      #288474 - 10/30/06 04:07 PM

Unregistered

I went to see my doctor about my C and she had some x-rays taken to compare it with last time. I also had blood drawn for some tests and I have an ultrasound and a pap smear scheduled for next time. She told me to stop taking the fennel, peppermint, and natural calm. She told me it can be constipating. What the HELL?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! doctor told me this new
      #288485 - 10/30/06 04:54 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What do YOU think? Has the natural calm been constipating to you? It certainly isn't for me! I would listen to your body rather than your doctor in this case!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#288486 - 10/30/06 04:57 PM

Unregistered

I don't think so. what do you think about the fennel and peppermint? How can a doctor tell a person not to take that for ibs?

#288487 - 10/30/06 05:00 PM
Lisa Marie

Because fennel and peppermint fall into the realm of "alternative medicine", something very few doctors care to learn about. They want to give you a pill to make it all better! I never found either of those to be constipating, and if they help you, by all means, keep using them! Glad you are getting all those tests done. Good luck! Are you feeling any better?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#288496 - 10/30/06 05:39 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I would have to disagree with the Doctor. I have had bloating and gas for a very long time and fennel tea is the only thing the helps to take it away - I do think that Doctors are wary of any "natural" type of medicine and unfortunately reach for a prescription. It is not really their fault as I do beleive they are trained that way and they do have their place. Take care.

#288499 - 10/30/06 05:43 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Doctors are not all-knowing, boy am I finding that out with my IBS adventures!

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#288518 - 10/30/06 07:52 PM

Unregistered

I remember I said to the doctor they help me. She said "then why aren't you better?" I was angry. I asked her if she knew what natural calm is and she said yes. I'm gonna print the stuff about fennel tea off this website and give it to her when she does my pap smear. I'll say you don't have to read all this right now but will you read it?

mirilax new
      #288519 - 10/30/06 08:23 PM

Unregistered

She also said she wants me to take mirilax. Don't people get dependant on that? I don't think i need my stool softer i told her, its already soft without that, i feel like i can't take the mirilax or i will get runny stuff.

Re: mirilax new
      #288582 - 10/31/06 03:18 PM
Lisa Marie

I don't know about you, but my ultimate goal in starting this IBS diet and the hypno and everything else was so I could STOP depending on prescription drugs!! If the Natural Calm is helping, then I definitely would not start the Miralax. It's not necessary! And I would definitely print off some info from this site and take it to her.

Sorry if I sound cranky, but nothing makes me madder than doctors who think they know it all and are unwilling to LISTEN to their patients regarding what works for THEM!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Doctors Recommendation... new
      #288605 - 10/31/06 05:13 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

From personal experience, a husband in medicine and university courses I have taken on health/gender etc... Doctors here in N.America are taught Western medicine--essentially treating the illness/disease with medication. It is only beginning to change within the medical community
that things such as diet and exercise (what some of us consider pretty basic) are being considered as integral to health. Other cultures seem to be a little more open to "natural treatments." For example, many people benefit greatly by exercising for symptoms of depression (serotonin levels can be very similar to those taking meds) as well as children with ADD/ADHD that are missing fundamental vitamins/nutrients in their diet--many are eating processed foods and not eating real food. Instead, the diet is overlooked and many are heavily medicated. Diet and exercise affects our psyche, our stress levels, as well as our relationships...What I am getting at is generally Western medicine has a long way from looking at the individual as a WHOLE person...you can't just treat something and not have it affect other things. I do think medication has its place, and that some people improve with it, but arm yourself with knowledge (including non-internet research) and remain open to posssiblities. Doctors do get pharmaceutical perks for prescribing meds. Some get bonuses, some get vacations, not all...but some do. Keep this in mind. YOU have been living with your body and YOU know what feels better...and what doesn't. Doctors are not Gods...they make mistakes like every one else. Take everything with a grain of salt, and don't expect them to have all the answers. They don't--many have incredible knowledge, but only YOU know your body. Peppermint, fennel and natural calm are all safe, you don't have any allergies to them...they are helping you. Don't doubt yourself. You can listen, but you don't have to take something you don't want to. My GI wrote a prescription for a drug for D; I decided I was going to try one more thing because I didn't want more stuff in my already overloaded body.. :I began Dig. Enzymes. I haven't had D since. He said to me at my last appt, "Why aren't you taking the meds?" He was surprised that I didn't need them but wasn't going to argue with me...I know what works for MY body.

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 326 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9046

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review