All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: One more question about resistant starch- Syl new
      #295258 - 01/04/07 02:58 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Well - I think that article is trying to tell you how to maximize your resistant starch. Research has shown that there more resistant starch in cold that hot potatoes, rice and pasta. As I recall hot rice contains about 7% by weight and this increased to about 12% when cooled. I have not seen any information on what happens when cooled rice is reheated. I will look for better information and get back to you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Resistant starch from rice new
      #295260 - 01/04/07 03:31 PM
Syl

Here is an interesting article on resistant starch from rice. It explains how cooling increases the amount of resistant starch.

I am still looking for information on the percentage increase that cooling can produce.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Hot and cold potatoes new
      #295262 - 01/04/07 03:41 PM
Syl

Here is another interesting article that talks about resistant starch in the food processing industry. It says

Quote:

For instance, a cold, boiled potato contains about 13.5 percent resistant starch of the RS 3 type, while the same boiled potato served hot contains about 6.7 percent resistant RS3 starch.

Still looking for rice

--------------------

Thanks Syl, but new
      #295270 - 01/04/07 04:21 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

have you found anything about heating cold starches back up?
Thank you so much.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Sorry but new
      #295278 - 01/04/07 04:42 PM
Syl

I have been looking for an answer to that question for a few months. So far I have not had any luck. Resistant starch research is relatively new. I think I might have to contact a food chemist.

--------------------

Partial answer reheat resistant starch new
      #295310 - 01/05/07 05:45 AM
Syl

Here is a partial answer to the question of reheating resistant starch. Note RS3 is a type of resistant starch.

Quote:

RS3 is present in most starchy foods, which have been cooked then cooled and stored for several hours, up to several months. Retrogradation is a recrystallisation of starch chains, which occurs after gelatinisation when the product has not been immediately dried. Single chains form double helixes. Mainly the linear fraction of the starch, the amylose, is involved; amylopectin, however, can also retrograde, although a much longer time is needed. Cooked and cooled potatoes have been shown to contain RS3 in significant amounts (Englyst & Cummings, 1987). Reheating of starch reduces the RS3 content of the potato, showing that the retrogradation is partly reversible. Several cycles of heating and cooling, however, allow an increase in the RS3 levels.

Reference
Champ, M., A.-M. Langkilde, F. Brouns, B. Kettlitz, and Y. L. Bail-Collet, 2003: Advances in dietary fibre characterisation. 2. Consumption, chemistry, physiology and measurement of resistant starch; implications for health and food labelling. Nutrition Research Reviews, 16, 143–161.

--------------------

Re: Partial answer reheat resistant starch new
      #295349 - 01/05/07 10:39 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

So, sounds like reheating it decreases the resistant starch, but repeated heating and cooling and heating helps reduce the amount that is lost? And do you still end up having to eat cold potatoes because it has to be cold at time of consumption?

If this is too many questions, don't bother, Syl! I've been trying to research this as well. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Partial answer reheat resistant starch new
      #295353 - 01/05/07 11:15 AM
Syl

The process I use is to cool heated potatoes, pasta and rice and briefly reheat them in the microwave to warm before I eat them. I am quite sure that this processes gives more resistant starch than when they are hot but perhaps a little less than then they are cool.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1892 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12354

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review