All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia. So can I skip the rice?
      #288457 - 10/30/06 12:36 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

If I take Acacia...can I skip the 1/2-1 cup rice, bread or potato I usually eat with my meals...? It is a soluble fiber right?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia. So can I skip the rice? new
      #288468 - 10/30/06 03:29 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Taken from this website:
"The USDA recommended minimum fiber intake for adults is 25 to 35 grams daily, and soluble fiber should account for one third to one half of this total amount. Some scientists actually recommend up to 60 grams of fiber a day, so the USDA recommendations are not maximum dosage limitations. The typical American eats only a meager 10-15 grams of fiber daily. For comparison, the average fiber intake in China is 33 grams of fiber a day, and it ranges as high as 77 grams per day in some regions."

So, if you're getting a high dose of Acacia, then you can try reducing the amount of SF foods you eat. But, we are taking Acacia in order to supplement the amount of fiber we intake, since we aren't getting enough.

--------------------
Kat

#288524 - 10/31/06 05:40 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

A HIGH fiber diet is not right for everyone. There are many people with all kinds of gastrointestinal conditions (like me) - Sigmoid Volvulus in addition to IBS-D and a fiber content of 2/3rds insoluble at over 20gms total a day might kill me...literally. Sigmoid volvulus is when the sigmoid colon is too long for the space inside and gets twisted and looped. So I have to be very careful with how much total fiber and I definately need less insoluble than soluble! You see insoluble fiber is very hard to pass through the twists and loops (can cause colonic impaction ultimately and surgery. 40% of people who have to have surgery for sigmoid colon die.) So please preface your recommendations as " for otherwise healthy individuals " or something like that. People with Chrons also have to keep their IF intake low...and people with IBS sometimes do better with not 2/3 IF, but more SF than IF --- In fact, that is what is recommended for IBS and IBD.

I eat about 15-20 grams of fiber a day and I make a little more than 1/2 of that soluble. I take in about 6 -8 gms of Acacia soluble fiber a day - several rounded teaspoons...and also having the rice seemed a little much / things got too slow...

...I'm kind of sick of rice...so I was wondering if keep the Acacia UP and dropping the rice down a bit would be okay. I know no one can know for ME, but I was wondering if anyone else has decreased soluble fiber foods (bland/boring) after increasing the Acacia.

#288525 - 10/31/06 06:04 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm sorry if this wasn't the right advice for you. However this was Heather's advice for those following her diet on this website. I was not bringing any new information, just pointing out what she recommends. Also note that her recommendations are for someone with IBS.

As a D I definetly eat 2/3 soluble, and about 1/3 insoluble. I would not be able to eat 1/2 insoluble. It varies for every person. In general for IBS, we need more fiber than 'normal' people, and we need to find the balance of SF and IF that works for us. However if you have another existing condition that would contradict it then of course you should do what is best for you.

--------------------
Kat

#288542 - 10/31/06 08:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You have a separate issue in addition to IBS. I'm sorry about that because it sounds pretty bad, but there's no way for anyone to tailor advice to you without having all the information.

So, in general, I agree with K2 - the reason to take Acacia in addition to Soluble Fiber foods is because it is difficult to get as much Soluble Fiber as is helpful for IBSers simply through food. Therefore my advice would be, no, don't skip your SF foods because you're taking an SFS. In order to get enough SF you need both.

However, you're in a somewhat different situation from most IBSers since you want to consume less fiber overall than is recommended by the FDA and than most IBSers find helpful. Given this new information, my advice would be to cut back on the Acacia rather than the SF foods. I think it's always better to get what we need nutritionally from food rather than from supplements, assuming that's possible. And there are people on this Board who do, in fact, get SF only from foods and do well.

There's no reason why Soluble Fiber foods have to be bland or boring. There are lots of recipes in the Recipe Index for Soluble Fiber dishes that are quite exciting.

As for your demand that we preface our advice with "for otherwise healthy individuals", I have to admit that made me chuckle. No one on this Board is an "otherwise healthy individual" - that's why we're all here.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review