Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Trial and Error or based on symptoms
      #288308 - 10/29/06 06:40 AM
Coll

Reged: 10/14/06
Loc: Maryland

Newbie here with a few questions...

I see alot of you that are stable take a few different things; acadia, digestive enzymes, some form of priobitics, etc. I was wondering if you added all these things once you started to stabilize, added each in slowly or was it based on the symptoms you were experiencing that you added certain supplements to assist with symptoms? How long to you need to use some of these products before you start to notice a difference
My other question revolves around food...I can eat the same thing for breakfast lunch and snacks, but dinner i like to change it up from night to night. When you were first starting out, did you try a variety of receipes, within the guidelines, or did you find it better to eat the same thing for a few days to determine how it effected your system because i know everyone is very individual with their tolerances.

Sorry for a long post...hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!
Colleen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trial and Error or based on symptoms new
      #288311 - 10/29/06 06:58 AM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

Definitely add each thing one at a time whether it is some sort of supplement or food. Like try adding acacia by itself first not with the probiotics and enzymes. If you add too much and your system gets upset you have no idea what caused it and you're back at square one with some lost time on your hands. That's the way I look at it anyway. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

#288369 - 10/29/06 06:03 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I added things slowly and one at a time, allowing each thing to take affect before adding the next. This phased approach worked pretty well. All along the way, I drank (and still drink) plenty of mint and fennel tea. For me, adding things wasn't exactly symptom based, but based more on how I was feeling overall. I would start on one thing, see some improvement, and then add the next to see if I could get even more improvement. I'm A, though, so my symptoms aren't exactly consistent.
I ate different things (within the guidelines) even when I started out with the diet, and I did fine. I like variety in my diet, and get bored eating the same thing week after week. I pulled back to the BTC diet whenever I felt the need. I tried not be any more restrictive than I absolutely had to, because it's important for me, psychologically speaking, to not be afraid to try new things (again, still within the guidelines) and to not worry about what I'm eating.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#288385 - 10/29/06 07:43 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

As the others have said, add one thing at a time. Too much, too fast can cause you some digestive distress. After doing a Break the Cycle Diet, slowly add in new foods, and don't be afraid to have IF foods.

Re: You've got it! new
      #288843 - 11/02/06 03:53 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Really, it's totally up to you. It takes a while to figure out what you can and can't handle. When I am trying a new food, try a small quantity with some trusty soluble fibre foods like white rice. Then try it again a few times and see if you have the same results. Of course if you have disastrous results, I would wait a while before I tried it again.
Really, I would start by basing all meals and snacks on SF, then slowly adding in small quantities of IF. You NEED the IF. Also, just because you may react badly to it one day doesn't mean that it'll happen again - IBS is so unpredictable. Just keep trying, but also know when to call it quits with a certain food. For instance, I will NEVER eat a whole wheat anything EVER again. But, I tolerate lots of fruits and veggies, as well as other grains much better. We're all different.
Avoid the triggers, and experiment with the IF.
As for the supplements, again, totally up to you. The peppermint caps give you immediate results. The other things take time.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2901 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review