All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eat or Not to Eat that is the question
      #287921 - 10/25/06 04:08 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

I have been expieriencing constant yeast infections lately. I get cured and then a month later its back. I am so fed up. I am an IBS-C'er and I have read that yougurt is a great way to keep it away. But from what I have read we should not eat yougurt. does anyone have any suggestions? Please help? I am really fed up!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eat or Not to Eat that is the question new
      #287928 - 10/25/06 05:24 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It's not the yogurt so much as it is the live cultures in the yogurt. You can get live cultures from soy yogurt or you can try a probiotic.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#287929 - 10/25/06 05:25 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I would stay away from regular yoghurt, because of the dairy. However, you can get soy yoghurt at Whole Foods. I prefer the Whole Soy brand, but the Silk kind isn't too bad.
Tea tree oil is a good way to head off a yeast infection if you feel one coming on: put a small drop of tea tree oil on a tampon. It will tingle a bit.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#287950 - 10/25/06 08:05 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The best thing would be to start on a probiotic. Remember to start at a low dose.

#287957 - 10/25/06 10:08 PM
Reneemj

Reged: 10/06/06
Loc: San Diego, CA

I have the same problem that you do. I get sinus infections all the time so I have to take antibiotics which causes yeast infections, it can be a vicious cycle. Yogurt doesn't bother me so I eat Activa, drink Kefer and take probiotics. I know it sounds like a lot but it works and they stay away. Hope you find something that helps

#288050 - 10/26/06 01:11 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

When you say you "get cured" what does that mean? HOW do you get cured? The last time I went on antibiotics for two weeks, I did two things, and I'm VERY susceptible to yeast infections:

My doctor gave me a dose of diflucan to prevent the yeast infection. It lasts 7-10 days, so I took it twice. This is MUCH better and safer than the OTC treatments.

I took Bio-K for a week or two. This stuff is awesome!! You can buy it at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc. Each bottle contains 50 billion live cultures, so I started with 1/3 bottle/day for 3 days, then increased to 1/2 bottle/day. It's a bit pricey, but you're only using it for a week or so. It will definitely help build up all that good bacteria quickly!! After that, switch to a regular (pill-form) probiotic.

Ever since I did the 10 days of Bio-K, I have been symptom-free. That was about a month ago...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#288119 - 10/26/06 09:37 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I've had a similar problem, too. I hadn't really connected it with IBS, but I have been getting a YI every single month for over a year now... started about the time my IBS symptoms became intolerable. This has been SO frustrating, especially since I never had them before unless I took an antibiotic. Now they just keep coming back every single month. My ob/gyn didn't seem to think this was anything to be concerned about, but it's driving me CRAZY!

I am very hesitant to take any type of medication, even if it is a "natural" thing. What is the probiotic like? You said you take 1/2 a bottle but it's not pills? What form is it in? How do you take it? Are there any side effects? I am desperate for relief, but still scared of making myself feel worse by taking meds...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 815 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2326

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review