All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
opinions about fiber supplements
      #287731 - 10/24/06 01:24 PM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

Hi everyone, I am brand new to these message boards, but not new to IBS. I'm 25 and have been struggling with IBS for as long as I can remember, only it has gotten much worse in the last year. I am taking metamucil and I am curious about other supplements. I read the information about supplements on the webpage, but I wanted to get some opinions. Does anyone here take Fibercon? How has it worked for you? Since I struggle with gas and bloating I am thinking about switching to something else, but wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks
TJ

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: opinions about fiber supplements new
      #287739 - 10/24/06 02:32 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you're IBS-D, Metamucil is a bad idea because it contains both Soluble Fiber and Insoluble Fiber - IBS-Ds should really be taking an SFS with just Soluble Fiber.

I'm IBS-D and I take Acacia. You don't say whether you're on Heather's EFI Diet, but I found that was crucial to my getting stable.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#287749 - 10/24/06 03:23 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Acacia all the way. I take a rounded teaspoon with every meal! I used to be IBS-D...then went to C, now I'm okay! Really, no bloating, gas or pain. Work up slowly...then use as needed. Remember to dissolve it completely (or almost) and drink water throughout the day...there IS nothing at your drugstore that is like Acacia.

#287767 - 10/24/06 05:44 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm relatively new too and at first I didn't want to order the Acacia b/c I was generally scared of fiber anyway, being IBS-D. Now I take Acacia and so far so good (just learning how to incorporate the diet for maximum results), but if you want to explore the website more and try a drug store brand, I would recommend Fibercon. I took it for a week or so and I could see a bit of a difference.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: opinions about fiber supplements
      #287768 - 10/24/06 06:08 PM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

Is there such a thing as IBS-C AND D? I fluctuate between the 2, sometimes going days constipated and then playing "catch up" later. So I am not sure which fiber supplement is best for me.

I just found this website and just ordered Heather's IBS diet book, so I am not following the diet yet, but I intend to. I am really glad I found this site!

#287775 - 10/24/06 06:52 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Yes, when you are IBS-D and C, that is called IBS-A which stands for Alternating bouts of constipation and diareah. Some people are IBS-A but lean towards either D or C as their predominant problem. Definitely get Heather's book and devour the info on this site as much as you can (not just the message boards...go to the home page and read through all the FAQs, info. on soluble/insoluble fiber, and so on.) No matter which IBS you are, help is here...you will just need to note how Ds and Cs follow the diet and use supplements slightly differently.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#287790 - 10/24/06 07:34 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I like Benefiber because it dissolves so well in hot liquid as well as cold. but I hear they have changed the formula and I have not tried the new one yet. Acacia lumped in hot liquid when I used it. My GI recommends Citrucel. I am also an A and it can be very frustrating. If I take imodium when having a bad bout of diarrhea, I am stopped up for several days. If D isn't bad, I like pepto bismal. Also great for nausea. Anyway with being A you have to alter the diet somewhat depending upon which phase you're in - less IF during D, more during C. But at least we aren't dull as we are so unpredictable. Heehee.

#287796 - 10/24/06 07:47 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I'm IBS-A and I've found fiber really good for keeping me happily in the middle. I started out taking Benefiber, and it worked well. But it was expensive, so when I heard they were changing the formula, I switched to Acacia. I think the Acacia is working even better, and I'm only taking about 2 teaspoons a day.
I've also been doing extremely well on the EFI diet, although I'm still getting the hang of making adjustments when ever I start leaning to one side or the other.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#287800 - 10/24/06 08:25 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I've been taking the acacia for about 2 weeks now and so far so good. Previously I was taking FibreSmart, and sometimes plain ground flax. I've done fine with each of them.

#287801 - 10/24/06 08:26 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Are you going to increase your acacia dose?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review