All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Liquid Diet for IBS?
      #287674 - 10/24/06 07:57 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

Okay, so I'm having a bad day. Y'all know what that's like, right? I'm IBS-U, as in Uncomfortable. Always feeling like I have a brick in my gut, even though I'm not D nor C. Anyway, I found an article online written by the UNC school of medicine about the use of anti-depressants for IBS. What was striking to me was a section called "Visceral Hypersensitivity" which explained that one symptom of IBS is that "the stretch put on the intestines from eating even small amounts of food may produce discomfort".

Bingo - that's my problem. Whenever I eat, I FEEL it going through my gut and it feels awful.

So, I'm wonderin'... has any thought about or tried a liquid diet to relieve the symptoms of IBS? Some sort of shake or juice with supplements or something that wouldn't create much bulk to irritate our oh-so-sensitive intestines???

Yeah, I know it wouldn't be a lot of fun, but at this point, I don't really care. I'd rather pass up the joys of eating if I could just feel good every day... reliably.

Oh, but I'm allergic to soy... which rules out most liquid diets, doesn't it??? erghghghghgh

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Liquid Diet for IBS? new
      #287676 - 10/24/06 08:02 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

You could definetly use rice milk or almond milk in a smoothie. Blend in some fruit and maybe safe protein powder.

Also, applesauce and other purreed fruits and veggies are safer than whole fruits and veggies. I would also suggest soups.

I make something that's not quite liquid but very easy on the gut. Congee (you can search the recipe board) is basically rice soup. The rice is cooked in a lot of water until it's very soft. I usually add pieces of cooked fish and soft cooked veggies to it.

I'm not sure if it's reasonable to try an all-liquid diet, but you could try and have a mostly-liquid diet for sure.

Good luck,

--------------------
Kat

#287678 - 10/24/06 08:18 AM
shandy

Thanks for your thoughts! I wonder if people can live on a liquid diet??? Lately, any food irritates me, even safe foods like rice and oatmeal. I actually did a six-day water fast a few weeks ago and it was heaven. Six symptom-free days!!!! I didn't mean to do a fast - I just suddenly lost my appetite and decided to see what would happen. I felt fabulous the whole time, but since I broke the fast, my IBS has really been kicking my butt.

Sheesh.

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

I feel very similar new
      #287698 - 10/24/06 10:35 AM

Unregistered

"I'm IBS-U, as in Uncomfortable. Always feeling like I have a brick in my gut, even though I'm not D nor C" Well..I'm not sure, actually. Could you explain a little more? I feel like i'm c all the time but things are sometimes hard as rocks, sometimes soft(sometimes so soft i can't pass stools)Sometimes i feel like I have a brick on my right side all the time(sometimes I feel the brick move around, so dang uncomfortable)on left side I always get like a dull throbbing pain like stools are stuck. It makes me so mad! ! Soy seems to make me feel bad too, I just bought some Rice dream...I've had about 3 cups so far, it seems ok. Where do you find almond milk? Oh, maybe this will help you, I bought a power juicer express. I've only used it a few times, it did seem to help, I don't know who can tolerate juice. Sometimes it seemed to make things extremely mushy though, i don't know why, maybe i should have drank less juice.

Almond milk can be found in most HFS and they sell it in my local grocery store too -nt- new
      #287715 - 10/24/06 11:16 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Re: I feel very similar new
      #287721 - 10/24/06 11:40 AM
shandy

When I say I'm not D nor C - what I mean is that I'm regular - I go every morning, rain or shine (unless I'm going on vacation; then my colon gets nervous and shuts down - ugh). So, I'm not technically constipated since I go every day. I never have D - ever, although I used to when I ate soy products. The brick in my gut - well, it's a heaviness in the lower part of my abdomen after I eat - and if I could just have a BM, it would feel better. But I can't and it's a miserable feeling, all over my body, not just my gut. It makes me mad too!!

I have tried juicing and sometimes it works really well for me; other times, it just seems to irritate my colon. I"d rather just plain old fast - to me, it's mentally easier to just forget about food, rather than to substitute juice for meals...

I'm so discouraged today...

Jen

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old

does it need refrigeration...do they sell it at super-wal-mart? new
      #287732 - 10/24/06 01:37 PM

Unregistered

If it doesn't need refrigeration then i can buy it online..but if super wal-mart sells it, i'll just go buy it there..if it neds to be in fridge and is not at wal- mart. then i can't get it here.

#288072 - 10/26/06 02:22 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Thanks for the idea!! This may be the solution I've been needing. I had a lot of dental problems the past couple weeks so I was only eating soup, mushed up carrots/sweet potatoes, etc. I noticed that I felt SO much better! I thought my IBS was starting to get better. But when I started eating regular food again I started getting sick again. I think I'm going to start having soft cereal for breakfast, then soup for lunch, & a regular dinner (so I don't get bored) and see how I feel. I really don't think I would have put the 2 things together, so thank you for posting your question!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3955 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1203

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review