All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oatly icecream
      #286900 - 10/18/06 11:07 AM
Eri

Reged: 10/13/06

Do you think that icecrem made of oat is ok. I havenīt tried it since I started the diet. Do you have experience of it, bad or good or is all icecream to cold for IBS people? ( I canīt think of living without) / Eri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oatly icecream new
      #286904 - 10/18/06 11:53 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Is there a brand you are looking at or do you have a recipe??

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#287007 - 10/18/06 11:03 PM
Eri

No it is a brand that I think is fantastic, it is called oatly and they have substiutes for milk product made of oat: http://www.oatly.com
Soya products sometimes give me gas and the ricemilk available here are often mixed with small amounts of sunflower oil to which I am allergic so oat is perfect. The products are also very low fat. I can se now that this specific products I wrote about only are available in Europe, not in US, I thought that you maybe have some similiar brand instead with the same kind of oatmeal products.
Sorry I made reference to something that people here maybe never heard of, feel a little bit stupid about that...sorry
Eri

#287019 - 10/19/06 06:45 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

It looks ok to me (I checked the ingredient list).
However it isn't low in fat. It says 10g of fat per 190 cal, which is about 50% fat from calories. Most dairy alternatives made of soy have similar amounts. They are still better than eating real ice cream of course.

So my suggestion is: eat a very safe small meal, and have some of the oat 'ice cream' after. Don't eat a ton of it, and don't eat it on an empty stomach.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Kat

Saturated oils new
      #287026 - 10/19/06 07:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

All of the Oatly ice creams contain about palm oil, rapeseed oil and coconut oil. Both palm and coconut oil are high in saturared fats. On the other hand rapeseed oil is a good oil because it is high in mono-unsaturated fats. The palm and coconut oil in the product would definitely give me problems

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Really need a lot of fat new
      #287028 - 10/19/06 07:29 AM
Eri

Thank you for your answer.

When I wrote low fat I think I meant low in saturated fat and I think I was referring to the oatly brand in general because they have some low fat products too if you compare with products made of milk or cream. The ice-cream culture in my country is very much that they make ice cream out of cream and not of milk. I do not like this kind of icecream at all, I prefer the italian style made of milk and oatly reminds more of that.

I think you have more low fat and fatfree products in the US than we have here. So maybe low fat mean one thing for me and another thing for you, everything depends on what you compare to. I recently went to Turkey for a holday and there the low fat yoghurt was 5 percent fat (!!!) . In my country the low fat yoghurth is 0,5 percent or 0,01 percent so it is really different in different countries.

I do not have so much problems with fats if they not are staurated fats and I sometime need extra fat cause I have problem with underweight, and the IBS diet makes it worse ! I am 35 years old and have a lower weight now than when I was 14. I have always been thin and I need a lot of energy because I do a lot of running. When I was younger I was a bit anorectical because I thought I was fat when my stomach was bloating and I hade gas, that made me feel fat and I started do diet and starve.

One strange thing is that my IBS always get worse when I eat too low fat. Only saturated are really problematic to me.

I never eat a ton of icecrem. I only have it as a dessert, only some small spoons.

Eri

Re: Really need a lot of fat new
      #287033 - 10/19/06 07:55 AM
K2

You should do fine with the ice cream as desert. I just wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't a good idea to overeat it or on an empty stomach. Syl mentioned some of the oils being a problem, but this will depend how sensitive you are to it, and how much you eat of it. So you won't know until you try it out.

I too am underweight so I use products like this to get a bit more fat in me. When I meant it was high in fat, I was comparing it to what Heather suggests for her diet. She suggests keeping 25% of calories from fat per meal. So for a food with 50% of calories from fat, you should eat lower-fat safe foods with it as your small meal.

Some other things I do to get more fat in my diet is eat avocado, salmon, small amounts of peanut butter, and plenty of sources of protein. I also do weight training which helps not only with keeping my weight up, but also keeping the bloating down (by doing abs).

"When I was younger I was a bit anorectical because I thought I was fat when my stomach was bloating and I hade gas, that made me feel fat and I started do diet and starve."

Wow I can relate to that! I was like that for a few months at one point in my teenage years. I always wanted my stomach to be smaller, but it wasn't fat, just bloating from my IBS. I now realise eating properly makes me less bloated than eating nothing. I wish I knew this earlier.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Just want to add new
      #287035 - 10/19/06 07:58 AM
K2

Trying to eat as much high fat foods that you can tolerate is ok, but make sure you aren't making your symptoms worse. Try to do this as safely as possible by eating safe foods with higher fat foods. I found a lot more success in maintaining my weight by eating safe foods more often during the day than eating high fat foods.

Also, are you IBS-D? IBS-C?

--------------------
Kat

Re: Funny you should ask... (oat milk) new
      #287172 - 10/19/06 09:22 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I was just coming online to ask about oat milk. I was at the store tonight, and I saw that they carry Pacific Organic Oat (don't remember if it was the original or vanilla). I know it's safe for us to drink, but I was wondering if any of you think it's better than our other options... Soy milk is okay, but can cause gas sometimes, and rice milk just seems blah to me. Has anyone tried oat? Is it good?

Re: Funny you should ask... (oat milk) new
      #287268 - 10/20/06 03:34 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Pacific Foods Oatmilk is sweet and tastes like, well, oats. If you like sweet milk you might like this, but I don't like it the way I don't like rice milk...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4256 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2343

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review