All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
2 questions....please read and answer someone!!
      #28686 - 11/24/03 12:40 PM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

sorry - this is like my 3rd post in about 20mins so i dont want to clog up the board, but 2 quick Q's:
1) i remember reading something about tomato ketchup the other day....does it contain fructose and is it a trigger for IBS. ive been eating it with most meals at the moment (sorry but college food is gross and you've gotta put something on the inedible potatoes!)
2) The bloating.....noooooo just when it had gone down a bit its gone REALLY bad again! is it caused by something i immediately ate or could it have been a delayed response....i mean with IBS do symptoms always appear immediately? For dinner, i had a turkey and cranberry sandwich on white bread, chicken noodle soup and an apple...all safe foods according to the list on here....so why am i so bloated again? also just had some honey in my peppermint tead, but the bloating was already bad before drinking that, so dont think its the honey?
am off to drink more peppermint and fennel tea and try and reduce the bloating!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 2 questions....please read and answer someone!! new
      #28687 - 11/24/03 12:48 PM
Laurel

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I don't know if ketchup is a trigger or not but I was wondering that as well. I have been using it in small amounts to add some flavor to the bland foods. It didn't seem to affect me.

As for the bloating, do you think it could be that you had too much food? Or possibly, it might be the skin on the apple if you didn't peel it?

Sorry, I wish I could say something to help you, but I am just staring out with this diet too! I'm sure one of the "more experienced" members can help you out alot more!

I hope you feel better soon!

Laurel

#28704 - 11/24/03 01:15 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I eat ketchup all the time and don't have a problem with it!

As for the bloating...this remains to be a BIG problem for me as well! I usually find that my belly will act pretty much right away if something is bad for it. Although it sometimes takes overnight for gas to get through! Exercise helps to keep the gas moving but I haven't found anything to help with the bloating! Its very frustrating to say the least! Keeping my meals very small and eating more often helps a little but not always possible. The heating pad helps with the pain.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#28731 - 11/24/03 02:22 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Did the soup have a lot of salt in it? Too much salt can make anyone bloated. I eat ketchup all the time and I'm fine with it. Could be the apple?

--------------------
IBS-C

#28744 - 11/24/03 02:35 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Check the ingredients for the chicken noodle soup. Try to get the kind made with white chicken meat. Also, most of the time the noodles are made with eggs.

I don't have a problem with ketchup either. I think some people do, because some varieties have HFCS. Or, they're super sensitive to tomatoes.

#28829 - 11/24/03 08:29 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I also don't have a problem with ketchup. But I do have a problem with the seeds in cranberries, so that might be something to watch out for!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#28847 - 11/25/03 03:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It could well be the apple. They contain fructose and the skin contains insoluble fibre, so be careful with these. I've found that I can't eat fresh apples, tho apple sauce is fine.

#28860 - 11/25/03 05:52 AM
katgirl

Linz - what applesauce do you eat? you mean the kind you usually have with pork?! ive bene eating that, tho its quite expensive and very more-ish...so im getting through a lot rapidly!

#28873 - 11/25/03 07:36 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Katgirl, applesauce is also very easy to make on your own! I admit it, I'm an applesauce snob. I hate the storebought stuff! To make it at home all you have to do is cook the apples and add a few spices (and some sugar if you like it sweet like me). Here's a recipe that's already on the boards:

web page

I also have microwave and crockpot applesauce recipes. If you'd like me to post them on the recipe board just let me know!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#28937 - 11/25/03 12:16 PM
katgirl

maybe i'll try making some when i get home, but whilst im stuck at uni, the shop bought stuff will have to do!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review