Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Other things to drink
      #286792 - 10/17/06 12:23 PM
Nikkylee

Reged: 06/06/06
Loc: Apple Valley, MN

Hey all,

I've been monitoring the message boards for awhile, especially the recipes. I must say the thing I'm frustrated with the most is finding things that are thirst quenching to drink. I was a notorious diet pop drinker before I found Heather's book and have subsequently given it up. I find, though, that the only thing I find to drink that actually quenches my thirst is room temperature water. I'm not a huge tea drinker (and I don't like iced teas at all) and 100% pure cranberry juice is really expensive. I've resorted to drinking Juicy Juice juice boxes when I need something other than water (which is pretty much daily). It doesn't seem to bother my IBS-D, but I was wondering if people know if this could be a problematic drink. Also, does anybody know of anything else that is easy to find in the stores? I'm single and don't have time/resources to make the majority of recipes I find on the website or in Heather's book/mailings and there wasn't much on the posts for snacks and name brand foods.

Thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Other things to drink new
      #286809 - 10/17/06 03:37 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Something that has worked for me is to cut Gatorade with water and it helps to have it with ice to sort of dress it up.

The kid juice drinks never work for my tummy...there's something about it that bothers me but I'm glad it works for you. Other than that I drink lots of hot tea, all decaf. It's been 3 years since I've had a soda...it's even strange to hear me say that. The only time I miss a Coke is when I'm at the movies with a tub of popcorn. Oh well, beats getting sick! Good luck on your search

#286835 - 10/17/06 07:00 PM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Room-temperature water sounds fine to me! I give it part credit for a bunch of pretty good years. Do you read the labels on the Juicy Juice drinks? My tendency would be to not even bother, because I would suspect they had high-fructose corn syrup as first or second ingredient, but perhaps not. Let me know!
Other drinks, hmm. I drink a lot of soy shakes--NOT smoothies made with ice chips or frozen fruit or veggies--but packets of unsweetened prepared soy, usually chocolate. They are made by Revival Soy (avoid the Cappuccino flavor, and their special offers don't list their unsweetened option) or there is a Vega brand from Vegan Essentials. The Revival Soy mix gets added to "milk" or juice. I have found that you can mix it with water by using 6 oz. instead of 8 oz. of other liquids. Both Revival Soy and Vega come in single-serving packets; for the Vega brand you have to find a picture of a $68 or so large canister, but at the purchase point there's a choice of packets or the large container. I use stevia sweetener (is that allowed to say on this site?)

Tea is okay when it's cooled down, you know. I've gotten fond of blueberry tea, sweetened with stevia, which somehow cancels out any acid taste. I'm experimenting with Wulong/Oolong teas, which are more of a hassle than I want, over the long term. A nice experiment, though.

There's soy milk--start slow if you haven't used it before. And I just saw a note that Silk now has soy "nog" in the stores. There are half-coffee/half-soy "coffees," too, as well as 100% soy "coffee." I get good mileage with these, using a French Press coffee maker; another low-acid option is toddy-making equipment. That stores a cold low-acid "coffee" concentrate in your refrigerator, to mix with tap water,or hot water, however you like it.

But I know the dilemma; last week, after a lecture, I was asked along for drinks with the speaker. I knew I couldn't tolerate the icewater everyone was served, and couldn't have a soda of any sort, and for me any juice is pretty bad, too. Finally I asked for bottled water, and then was asked "What brand? Pellegrino?" I didn't know. Someone at the table was nice enough to ask "fizzy or flat?" and I immediately said "flat." That way I got something to drink. I would have been happy with room temperature water!

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

#286836 - 10/17/06 07:02 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You can try a slice of lemon or lime in your water. Do you like lemonade? It's very simple to make, I'm not sure about store bought ones.

Re: Other things to drink, easy things to eat new
      #286845 - 10/17/06 07:20 PM
Tummyblogger

Nikkylee,
Here I'm responding to what you wrote at the end of your post:
Quote:

Also, does anybody know of anything else that is easy to find in the stores? I'm single and don't have time/resources to make the majority of recipes I find on the website or in Heather's book/mailings and there wasn't much on the posts for snacks and name brand foods.

This is an issue that's dear to my heart. You probably can find some stuff here in one of Heather's stickies titled "snacks." Some snacks can make a small meal! I'm constantly talking about small meals and snacks at the ForMyTummy blog, and there is a page devoted to Snacks at IBS Tummy Chow.com. What I have found, in trying to live a life free of multi-ingredient meal preparation, is that most of the stuff in stores has something on the label that is going to give me problems.
For that reason, about half of what I get to eat is ordered from Amazon, or Revival Soy, or BestLifeInternational, or other online foodsellers. That means there is a constant challenge to find creative ways to combine what I have on hand!

--------------------

For Tummyblogger new
      #286848 - 10/17/06 08:21 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I saw that you mentioned a low acid concentrate of "coffee" that can be mixed with just water...meaning like an instant coffee that I could take with me somewhere (like to a restaurant) and then just ask for some hot water? I have given up my coffee and I now drink Soyfee, but I am really cranky when I am out and smell the real thing. I especially like to have a cup after a dinner out so is this something that you could take with you (say in your purse already premeasured for one cup)? Please let me know more info. Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Safe brand name foods new
      #286860 - 10/17/06 10:40 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I have had a lot of luck with the list already compiled here and here .

A couple of my favorites when I'm in a hurry are Amy's Tofu Veggie Lasagna (might not sound all that good, I know, but it's REALLY delicious!! great with french bread.) and GardenBurger soy burgers (they're precooked and taste WAY better than Boca or any others I've tried.). I've found the lasagna in several stores, but the GardenBurgers are sometimes a little harder to find. I drive across town to get mine because they are so much better than Boca, which seems to be available everywhere.

Re: For Tummyblogger new
      #286866 - 10/18/06 02:06 AM
Tummyblogger

Line415 asks:
Quote:

I saw that you mentioned a low acid concentrate of "coffee" that can be mixed with just water...meaning like an instant coffee that I could take with me somewhere (like to a restaurant) and then just ask for some hot water? I have given up my coffee and I now drink Soyfee, but I am really cranky when I am out and smell the real thing. I especially like to have a cup after a dinner out so is this something that you could take with you (say in your purse already premeasured for one cup)? Please let me know more info. Thanks.

I did mention a couple of quick and easy ways to prepare just one cup of coffee. One is using a 3-cup (12-oz. mug size) French press, and RocaMojo Soy "coffee." (It's available at here). To find the French press that I use, search Amazon with "Bonjour petite French press," or just "Bonjour petite." It would be simple to take the "coffee" to a "break" kitchen at school or work, if there is one, and fix a mug of "coffee," using available hot water. But not every place will have all that.

The other method is to use the same half-coffee, half-soy RocaMojo grind (or Revival Soy has one "Breakfast Blend" mix of soy and coffee), and use it with a toddy maker. (Search Amazon, again, using "toddy maker." Read the first two results that you get, for a description of how a toddy is made, from real coffee or half-coffee, half-soy==or even soy coffee. It comes out, as I understand it, as a concentrated coffee liquid, that is stored in the refrigerator. You make a cup at a time by measuring one-quarter toddy liquid to three-quarters water, and heating in a microwave.

Making the toddy liquid is a do-it-once-for-many-servings task you can do at home.

Although you don't have a powder you can take with you, certainly you could carry the toddy base for a cup of coffee with you in a thermos, or small bottle. Just add hot water, as you and I used to do with instant coffee.

I looked at both French press and toddy maker, and chose the French press, because it fits my situation. Now that I have it, I love it. There is no real difference in time to fix a mug of half-aoy, half-coffee, compared to instant coffee--unless you used to put ice cubes in your instant coffee to cool it off. Even so, while the French press is brewing your coffee, you can put your mug in the freezer, and come pretty close to instant coffee - at home, that is.

For going out and about with coffee drinkers, the toddy maker would supply something you can use. It's too bad that the RocaMojo, and/or any other soy/coffee blend, is not an instant powder.

--------------------

#286898 - 10/18/06 10:46 AM
line415

Thanks. I'll check out the toddymaker. I was never fond of instant coffee anyway, but I would be much happier if I could at least have something while out instead of just skipping the coffee altogether. How do you like the Rocomojo and which kind do you buy? I was going to originally purchase that but then I went with the Soyfee instead b/c someone posted that it had a stronger/robust taste than the Rocomojo. (I like my coffe pretty strong.) Pelase let me know.

--------------------

#287013 - 10/19/06 04:45 AM
Tummyblogger

Quote:

hanks. I'll check out the toddymaker. I was never fond of instant coffee anyway, but I would be much happier if I could at least have something while out instead of just skipping the coffee altogether. How do you like the Rocomojo and which kind do you buy? I was going to originally purchase that but then I went with the Soyfee instead b/c someone posted that it had a stronger/robust taste than the Rocomojo. (I like my coffe pretty strong.) Pelase let me know.

Hi, Line415. I want to remind other readers that we are not talking about waking up and fixing real coffee right off the bat, on an empty stomach, no matter how smooth and acid-free it is. I would say that if many people in your family have IBS and appear to do all right with coffee, as was true for me, then you can carefully add it back in after your IBS is under control. That's what I think Line 415 is doing.

On the Rocamojo brands, they have real coffee, half-coffee half-soy, and all soy types of drinks. I've tried their half-coffee half-soy, as well as the half-coffee half-soy product of Revival Soy. I've also tried Well-Bean's stuff, and while I liked the price, it did not have an impressive taste, came in smaller containers, and required more product for the same effect. Revival Soy's "coffee" is, only, one half-coffee half-soy blend, and a number of part-ciffee blends. More expensive, good tasting, but not quite as full a flavor. So I'd recommend the RocaMojo.

By the way, the toddy maker allows you to make the "coffee" strong, whatever the brew strength, by simply not adding as much water.

--------------------

#287038 - 10/19/06 08:15 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I like Twinings Sunset Rose and Tazo Passion teas made as iced tea. They're both hibiscus based and are the herbal teas that seems closest to soda pop to me. I do add sugar which helps a lot in the illusion as does the gorgeous color.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Not drinking coffee! new
      #287106 - 10/19/06 12:32 PM
line415

Don't worry. I am not drinking a coffee blend! I know you mentioned that you have tried the 1/2 coffee, 1/2 soy blends, but another post told me that it must be all soy. The Soyfee I drink is not coffee at all. And actually, I do drink it first thing in the morning with my Acacia mixed in...usually with a cracker or few bites of a banana. It is made from pure soy beans so if you can tolerate soy, it should be fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyhow, hope no one was mislead into drinking the real thing.

--------------------

#289116 - 11/06/06 10:01 AM
Nikkylee

Yep, the juicy juice drinks labels only show the following:
Apple juice (water, juice concentrate), ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and malic acid. No high fructose corn syrup. That's why I thought they'd be ok. The vitamin C doesn't seem to bother my tummy too bad.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll look into some of them, however, I find I usually don't like iced teas.

#289118 - 11/06/06 10:03 AM
Nikkylee

IKEA also sells a good french press that's about $10!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7927 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2957

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review