All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ibs teen
      #286657 - 10/16/06 11:19 AM
cherie

Reged: 08/17/06

Hi,
I am new to the board. My 14 year old was diagnosed with IBS two months ago after becoming ill at band camp and having to come home. He has had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. He takes prevacid daily for acid reflux and was placed on miralax to aid with constipation. He has followed the IBS diet religiously for about two months now and has felt great. He had to go back to the same camp with his band for two days during his fall break (last week) and he became sick again (horrible pains, no sleep, etc). He has not had an attack since we began the diet. The camp this past week lead up to a competition. His band director would not allow him to compete since he had to leave the camp. We did go and watch the band compete, as our son wanted to support them - he would have prefered to perform with them and I know it was difficult not being a part of the group. Our son is using the self-hypnosis cds discussed in the book and says they are great and make him feel good. He is supposed to travel with the band again in November and I need help to prepare/get through that weekend. He will be going out of state this time. Also, what can I give/say to the band director to help him to understand my son and not punish him for his IBS. He believes my son has severe separation anxiety. Finally, would counseling be helpful and how do a find someone good in my area? I feel helpless and heartbroken. Please help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ibs teen new
      #286683 - 10/16/06 03:01 PM
doubledover

Reged: 10/15/06

Hi I'm new to this website, so I can't really give a lot of help about the diet. I'm 20 (and away in college and have been dealing with IBS-C for a few years) and I noticed that my problems get even worse when I would go away to soccer camp or when I was living in the dorms. I think it was because I was embarassed to be in the bathroom for too long, which made my constipation problems worse. Also I know that camp food is usually not all that great, does he take his own snacks and stuff? My brother was a drum major, and I know they are active a lot during band camp and competitions so that could make things worse. It might embarass your son (I get embarassed about IBS but I'm thinking of telling my professors about the ongoing health problems and thats why i've missed some classes) about telling the band instructor, but it might help things if he knows that your son has IBS (or you coudl say ongoing stomach problems, some people seem to laugh off IBS). Good luck, and I hope more people have advice.

Re: ibs teen new
      #286735 - 10/17/06 02:03 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

Hi. I am in my 20's and have been in therapy since 16 on and off. I will encourage you to talk to your son he needs to be a part of the decision and the last thing you want to do is invade his privacy. Before you talk to his leader please discuss this with him you don't want hime to feel weird. I don't get why the teacher punishes him for what? Does your son know how to eat when he is away? As for anxiety yes maybe it has to do with this but I suffer from anxiety not related to this and the therapy may help him learn coping mechanisms. I know you want to take the pain away but also for myself I also had to feel in control if that makes sense. Please talk to your son and ask him what he feels and suggest these things so he feels a part of the decision.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 522

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review