All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New... and not lovin' it!
      #28664 - 11/24/03 11:29 AM
bauie25

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Iowa

I thought I had posted something last night... but obviously it never posted (oops!) I was diagnosed as having IBS about two weeks ago-- and I'm having OH SO MUCH FUN with it (just kidding). I guess I've went for a long time just thinking that my stomach always hurt and that I must be allergic/have tons of food intolerances... well, I certainly can't tolerate many foods, that's for sure. It's hard trying to do the *college thing* with this! Is anyone else dealing with this at college? It's been a pretty bumpy road so far-- from high school friends that I rarely see telling everyone I have an eating disorder (not possible!)--> to their parents calling my parents... it's been a mess. Has anyone else had to deal with this stuff?? Also, is anyone else on med's for this, and do they work? Is it possible to "out grow" or get over this, or is it a lifetime thing?

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New... and not lovin' it! new
      #28667 - 11/24/03 11:42 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I am in college and have also had to deal with EVERYTHING you mentioned. I hope it gets better!

My boyfriends family doesn't understand... neither do my friends... I feel like a big freak most of the time, lol.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#28677 - 11/24/03 12:02 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome! So sorry to hear you are having such a hard time! Unfortunately, most people don't outgrow ibs, most people do have good days and bad days with it. Some people even go months with out any problems at a time. Being at college will make it more difficult to manage but we have several college people on the board tight now and hopefuuly they will come up with some great advice.
Do a search on the subject, there have been a lot of post.

Even though it will be difficult you really need to watch what you are eating, check the diet guidelines on this site. Also, try no to get too upset over what your friends are saying(easier said then done, I know) most peoples IBS is made worse with stress

Post any questions you have and we will try to help!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#28679 - 11/24/03 12:24 PM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Hi there!
I am at Uni....which is englands version of college i think! anyway i am 19 and i finally got 'diagnosed' with ibs about a month ago, after months of various testing/ruling out anything more 'sinister' as the doctors referred to it.
I totally sympathize with you being at college - this is my first year, I managed dinner for about the 1st week but it played so much havoc with my stomach that i no longer go to it, i just make myself some food in my room/cook stuff in the microwave. My IBS has definitely got worse since i came here, cus at home i cooked all my food and i knew exactly what was in everything. Plus uni life is all about drinking and more drinking and I have seriously been overdoing it. Im still unsure of what my triggers are (im getting foor intolerance testing results back next week) but i have been having far too many triggers since i got here. Ive finally got to the point where i am no longer going to abuse my body just to fit it....some people here understand but the majority dont...its difficult and i know exactly what you're going through. my parents have been so worried about me since i got here, cus in terms of my health its been the worst year ever. But im having a good time despite all my problems which is keeping me happy and my stress levels relatively low.... sorry to jabber on, i just have some tips for you:
1) dont care what anyone else thinks - its your body, if anyone else has a problem, then forget them, they're not worth. your true friends wont make you eat/drink things that you cant have
2) have you tired any supplements? I dont think you said whether you were IBS-C or D? Im IBS-C: but since i started taking the acacia fiber which i ordered off here, i have had regular b/ms every day. I still have tremendous bloating/occasional bad gas and abdominal pain but at least the fiber has given me some relief.
also have you tried fennel/peppermint tea? apparently they're both great - i havent seen many results yet as my bloating is really bad, but hopefully the fennel will help soon! also the peppermint caps off here are supposedly really good
3) read through the website closely - make sure you know what your trigger foods are - im still learning and making mistakes, but im getting there.
4) exercise and water - crucial!
5) stress - get rid of it. i know how college is one of the most stressful times of your life and the IBS couldnt have come at a worse time, but you will cope. Positive thinking is the only way forward!
sorry this has been so long...i hope some of it helps, if i think of anything else then i'll post it up later....if you want you can email me and ask anything....kat_girl2000@hotmail.com
take care and keep smiling we're all in this together and this site has been a godsend for so many people, me included, so do keep reading the posts and all heather's excellent advice!
kat X

College student here too new
      #28685 - 11/24/03 12:38 PM
Laurel

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hi there...I'm new to these boards too (what a lifesaver!) but not new to IBS. I am a student also, and it makes it difficult to say the least. Last semester, I hurried through a couple of finals because I was going to have an attack (partially due to anxiety, I'm sure).

Not to mention, going out with friends is not something I do very often anymore. They just don't understand. If I do go out, I always have to take my own car so I can leave if I want. And, waiting for the bathrooms at clubs or at school makes my anxiety pretty bad!

The only thing I do to help at school is eat oatmeal in the morning which doesn't seem to upset my tummy at all. NO COFFEE at all anymore either--that will really set your IBS off!! Also, the IBS diet on this website has already helped, and I've only been on it a few days. You just have to be very careful of what you eat-especially at school, and pack "safe" lunches instead of risking it in the cafeteria or snack machines!

Laurel

Re: It's all about moderation... lol new
      #28692 - 11/24/03 12:58 PM
bauie25

Loc: Iowa

I am so glad others are at college with this. I'm not new to the IBS stuff, just the fact of actually KNOWING I have this, rather than just thinking I'm a complainer *smile* I too eat oatmeal for breakfast (every morning!) and whenever I don't think I can handle anything else. I guess I just get so frustrated sometimes, and think, "what the hell," then I just go and eat what I want... then pay dearly for it! I have this awesome peppermint stuff from Essential Oils (brand) and I barely use a drop (which is often almost too strong) in hot water or fat free hot cocoa and it usually helps stop any tummy aches.

This has defintely cramped my night life-- not that I was ever a party animal, but if I go out with my friends usually I can't eat or drink anyting but water.

My symptoms are typically not that I have to run to the bathroom all the time, but the other way around... I wish I had to run to the bathroom... if you know what I mean. It gets to the point where I don't even want to eat sometimes-- I'll be chewing something and remember how it made me feel and just spit it out... of course, not if I am with other people-- that'd be just weird...

I think the worst thing about IBS is people not understanding... I usually just say I'm allergic-- it's easier than trying to explain the whole thing. ha ha ha--the easy alternative.

**For everyone who replied to me-- THANKS! I'll probably get addicted to this site now.

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

#28696 - 11/24/03 01:04 PM
evie

Reged: 11/22/03

Hi. I want you to know the hardest part is the first part. You're pretty much there! You know you can take care of yourself and be fine. Just work on that. My family also worried when they saw how sickly I'd become. They didn't know about IBS and made me eat more and more of everything! But once your best friends and family at least accept that you need to deal with this, it'll be much easier! I promise! And if they don't, then I agree, you shouldn't care! It's your health that matters. Aside from watching what you eat, enjoy it! Relax. I'm in college, too, so you've got yourself a little college IBS support group. Yes, it's tough - I'm still learning the ropes, too, but we'll be alright.

*evie

Another perspective on college new
      #28722 - 11/24/03 02:08 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Bauie, I don't have time to write much right now, but I wanted you to know that I completely understand, too! Right now I'm in grad school, but I lived on campus undergrad and it was definitely a challenge sometimes. I wasn't officially diagnosed with IBS back then, but I know I had it. It was constantly putting a cramp in my social life (no pun intended!). Plus it created some tension between me and my roommate, because I was frequently backing out of our plans when I didn't feel well and she never really seemed to understand. Not to mention how difficult it was to find a decent meal in the dining hall! Argh. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that it's a struggle sometimes, but you'll get through it. You already got some great suggestions, so all I can think to add at the moment is to follow your intuition! Your body knows what's good for it and what isn't, so make sure you listen to it! If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#28729 - 11/24/03 02:19 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Hopefully after following Heather's diet you will feel better. I'm in college, I live at home though, so I think that's easier. Have you tried having pasta at school? Salad? Trying to think of other things they may serve that would be ok...bagels? I know what you mean about sometimes just eating what you want and paying for it, I hate when I do that! Anyway, hope you feel better.

--------------------
IBS-C

#28771 - 11/24/03 03:55 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I am not in college but I was about 10 years ago. It was also the same time I was diagnosed with IBS. And 10 years ago I had no clue how to deal with IBS and I had stomach aches every day and spent a lot of time skipping meals to avoid the possibility of a stomach ache. I then became so thin my family thought I was anorexic. It took a long time but I finally gained the weight back to a normal level but eventually you just have to not care what people are saying about you or thinking about you because the ones who truly care about you will understand or at least try to! I messed up way back when and dropped out of college, probably because I was missing too much class, not doing well and definately not feeling well - and I really really regret that. It was too stressfull at the time for me to deal with that. I wish you the best of luck and just know that you are not alone!

#28786 - 11/24/03 05:38 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

I'm in my last year of highschool, well i've actually graduated but decided to come back to take 2 other courses that i wanted & needed, anyways...i'm planning on going to University next year. I don't know how the teachers are there but i finally decided to tell my teachers this year about my IBS becuase during on of my final exams last year i rushed through because i started feeling sick and was afraid i was going to need the bathroom. The point is, maybe the teachers will make special accomodations for you during tests/exams. I was actually kind of scared to tell my teachers just because it's not something most people are comfortable telling other people, ecspecially about maybe having to run to the bathroom during class. It turned out though that one of my teachers wives has IBS! He understood totally and told me that i can just get up and leave whenever with no questions asked. I know not all teachers will be that understanding but it's worth a shot and it's definitely helped reduce my levels of anxiety about class and tests now. I'm not sure what else to suggest since i'm not in university or college yet but i'm definitely learning a lot of tips for when i go away next year! Oh and maybe to help stress levels see if there are yoga classes that you could attend at a gym nearby or one that's in your university. Good Luck!

#29010 - 11/25/03 06:07 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards! I was just finishing University when my IBS started, so I sympathize totally. Here's some information - the sort of nuts and bolts you need to stabilize yourself and get things in working order again - if you know what I mean. It explains how this will work best inthe long run for constipation although it may sound different. Hang in there. Be sure to ask questions and hit the search button for previous posts. web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#29257 - 11/27/03 10:16 AM
hslib

Loc: VA

Very sorry to hear what you're going through. I am way past my college years, but I have taught for 17 years. I had several high school students with stomach problems. (Crohn's, etc.) I was glad that they came to me with that information. Not only could I relate to their problems, but I could make accomodations for them and was glad to do it. No one wants to be sitting in class with those kinds of cramps, etc. and feel afraid to ask to leave. I would often quietly ask them (as I was coming around to help the class) how they were feeling - especially if I could tell by their faces. My family can always tell by the look on my face when I am having an attack! It is frustrating for others who don't understand. My husband actually told me often times I am no fun because I have such a fear of being out somewhere and having an attack. I know many coworkers and family members that worry that I don't eat enough or that I am anorexic. When in reality, I'd love to put on about 20 pounds if I could!!! I have suffered for years on and off. This year is an "on" so I am seeing a gastro.. doctor this week. Someone mentioned Librax in one the responses I read, and that is one medication that really got me to feeling better - but it definitely took some time to reach that point. Good luck and feel better.

#29270 - 11/27/03 04:04 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I just want to offer support and you do what you know is right for your body!!! I think despite IBS you'll be more fit and well because you are learning young in life how to listen to your body!! Good luck and keep writing! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6548 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1601

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review