All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Newbie- need help! Long post sorry..
      #286588 - 10/15/06 07:34 PM
doubledover

Reged: 10/15/06

Hi, I've been dealing with IBS for the past few years (I'm 20) and it is pretty much an everyday constant thing. I'm mainly bloated with instense stomach pains and have C, though sometimes I have D (i've been reading through the message boards..I think this si the right lingo?) I've tried to do everything that I can, but I seem to be in pain everyday. Any tips you can give me? I also have a questio about my dinner- I had a sweet potatoe, steamed brocolli, and about 2 oz of grilled chicken. Almost right after I had majo stomach pains, but shouldnt this be a safe thing to eat? How long can it take something to irritate your stomach (like could it be from something I ate early?). This is all confusing to me, because one day something will be okay with my stomach, and the next it will cause a lot of pain. Thanks for any help!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie- need help! Long post sorry.. new
      #286598 - 10/16/06 04:10 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi there, I'm 20 too and I know what it's like to have the pain like everyday I've been a lot better since starting Heather's diet, although it has taken a long time to work -I started in feb this year. are you on that at the moment? give it a try if you're not.
yeah it is very frustrating when you eat something one day and you're fine then the next time you have it , you're in pain.
all I can think of is that you don't handle broccoli very well. also, maybe you need more soluble fiber in the meal as a base so you can then eat the broccoli safely. But yes it is quite possible that you had a delayed reaction to something else you ate earlier.
there are also other factors that can effect ibs like stress, tiredness, hormones etc so take these into account aswell. Make sure you have enough rest and also take exercise cos this helps in general, it's also a great stress reliever.
Hope things work out soon
xxx

#286600 - 10/16/06 04:42 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

Hi. What about the rest of the day? I too know how it can be ok oneday and not the next but maybe its a back up. Have you talked to your doc? Maybe what your drinking?

#286604 - 10/16/06 05:39 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

I used to have pains every day and every meal, until I got to the point that I was actually afraid to eat. Then I went on Heather's diet until I was tired of rice, after a while I added some chicken and a few other things. I can eat broccoli if it is cooked and I have no other "trigger" foods, but I only eat a few pieces. I actually love veggies so this is hard for me not to eat.
I have also went through eating something and 20 minutes later in the bathroom. Feels like it goes right through you.

Broccoli causes gas new
      #286609 - 10/16/06 06:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Broccoli and other sulphur contianing vegetables such as cabbage, brussels sprouts, onions, artichokes, and asparagus can cause gas resulting in pain. See gas in the digestive tract for more information.

The sweet potatoes and chicken are fine.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Broccoli causes gas new
      #286612 - 10/16/06 06:56 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you sure about the artichokes containing sulphur? The link didn't mention them and neither did Heather in her list.

"Sulfur-containing foods (garlic, onions, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts), in addition to their high amounts of insoluble fiber, also produce significant gas in the GI tract and this can trigger attacks. As with all other fruits and veggies, however, these are extremely nutritious foods with significant health benefits, so they need to be treated with caution but definitely not eliminated from your diet".

Thanks Syl!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Broccoli causes gas new
      #286615 - 10/16/06 07:41 AM
Syl

Both Jerusaleum artichokes and globe artichokes contain sulphur but not as much as contained in cabbage, broccoli, beans, etc. See Tablle III. They are also high in IF.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Syl new
      #286616 - 10/16/06 07:48 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Not to change the subject, but I was wondering how you manage your IBS. I never hear you mention any meds or supplements, etc.

How do you do it? You seem pretty stable, right?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#286617 - 10/16/06 07:48 AM
doubledover

Reged: 10/15/06

Thanks for everyones input! I've tried talking to different doctors about it, but all they seem to do is give me medicine samples (my sister also as IBS, and takes quite a few pills, and I really want to try conrolling mine through diet first, and then medicine if I have to) My problem is that I love vegetables and whole grains and beans, but I think my stomache needs a break from things like that. Heather's diet makes a lot of sense to me..how long did it take for you to start seeing improvements?

No meds or supplements new
      #286630 - 10/16/06 08:31 AM
Syl

I have learned to manage my IBS without meds or supplements. I rely heavily on resistant starch - a type of starch that acts like an SF. Resistant starch is rarely if ever discussed on this board. It is found in rice, potatoes, pasta, etc and its concentration is much higher if these foods are allowed to cool after they are cooked.

Over the years I have tried many meds. None of them worked. I have used SFS from time to time but I preferred to figure out a diet that I can use without supplements. It took me a long time to figure out that the conventional knowledge about SF was inadequate. Eventually I found resistant starch and its ability to act like a conventional SF. It has provided me with a key to handling my IBS without meds or supplements. My diet is strict and narrow. It excludes foods containing more than 10% fat (I prefer mono-unsaturated fats), more IF than SF, lactose and high fructose (i.e more fructose than glucose). Every meal contains a strong base of SF and resistant starch.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2008 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2950

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review