All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I don't get it....
      #286387 - 10/13/06 10:09 PM
andreww

Reged: 01/17/06
Loc: Fairfax, VA

I eat so-called safe foods and have an attack (water and a small bag of baked lays for lunch), then I blow off caution and out of stubbornness eat a full-on Hungarian feast for dinner (with meats, dairy, rich desserts) and NOTHING HAPPENS. I could swear that there just is no logic to my system. I have tried Heather's way, but nothing seems to be foolproof. I'm beyond frustrated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I don't get it.... new
      #286398 - 10/14/06 03:28 AM
beezhighness4

Reged: 10/07/06
Loc: Lynchburg, VA

Hey Andrew,

I agree 100%. I've been doing everything "right" for 6 months now and am still struggling! I also can find no rhyme or reason to my stomach and am about ready to give up and eat whatever I want. It's really disappointing when I read all these success stories and yet whatever i try just doesn't work or it may work temporarily. I can be fine when I go to bed and then wake up with a stomach the size of a basketball and then I have to regroup with whatever I chose to wear for that day. I weight between 85-88 lbs. and yet sometimes I'm tempted to go up in the attic and dig out the preggy clothes!

#286410 - 10/14/06 06:58 AM
andreww

Well, I don't know if it's any help, but I've started doing my best to "track" foods by keeping a Food Journal. I'm on my computer a lot, so I use my calendar application and add notes for each day and what I've eaten. I need to get more religious about it for it to work, but at least this way I might be able to identify certain culprits (like the Lays perhaps).

#286412 - 10/14/06 07:05 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

if it helps, i follow heathers diet somewhat butin my own way, using SF veggies instead and no white flour products, i use the acacia and a bunch of other supplements that i have slowly added to my regimen and i probably eat more IF and nuts and seeds than anyone on this board. but i also avoid all meat except fish, all dairy and all or most packaged foods (junk) and no tomatoes for me. i do pretty good, so it s the basis of heathers diet with big modifications, keep up your journal and ypou will identify things, you can also try homeopathy or TCM etc for more help.

#286419 - 10/14/06 07:56 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Hey, Andrew,

Is it possible that there was stress involved? No we cannot blame stress on everything, but it does have a lot to do with IBS, people say.

There are even some people whose IBS gets triggered only by stress.

I am like that with herpes. I only get a herpes (cold sore) after major stress, although I don't usually realize it was too stressful (but my husband, friends, mother do).

I am sorry that's what happened. Guts are difficult beasts to keep happy.

#286422 - 10/14/06 08:26 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Andrew- I have been on Heather's Diet since the beginning of August, 2006. I take the Acacia because I like it better than Benefiber. I also am on a 10 mg dosage of Amitripyline to help raise my pain threshold. I have gone from horrible pain everyday(to the point I just wanted someone to shoot me to get me out of my mesery)to very bearable pain. My best time is in the morning with no pain. As the day wears on the pain returns and I am sure it is due to stress. I also am halfway through the hypnotherapy tapes and I feel strongly that they are also helping me to cope. I don't find myself waking up thinking about the IBS.
I guess what I am saying is be patient, and follow Heather's diet. I think the food journal is a good idea.

I send you love and healing thoughts,
Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#286537 - 10/15/06 10:36 AM
andreww

I believe stress plays a role, but it not the cause. I know many people who are stressed out who do not have stomach problems. Ultimately, it is our chemistry and DNA that is faulty.

#286538 - 10/15/06 10:37 AM
andreww

If that were the logic, I'd be stressed every day, all-day, except for the mornings. I do believe I am naturally stressed, but that it is more a contributor than a cause.

#286631 - 10/16/06 08:32 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Good luck with the food journal. I am so like you....there is no pattern to my symptoms. My body does whatever it wants no matter what I eat.

I've tried doing a food journal, but I could eat the same thing one day and feel okay, and the next time I eat it I hurt like crazy! Plus, trying to figure out delayed reactions is impossible, in my opinion.

Do you think a Elisa food intolerance test would help? Or a waste of money? I've read mixed reviews on that.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#286687 - 10/16/06 04:03 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Im in the same boat as you. No rhyme or reason. I am at the point now that when ever I am going out I will either starve myself till I get home, or take an immodium before hand. I have been missing my sons baseball games because of IBS D and it brakes my heart to not see him.

#286705 - 10/16/06 06:13 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

HOw old is your son? Is there a portapotty at the field or a bathroom nearby? Who watches him at the games while you are home? I'm just thinking that maybe you could sit in your car and watch, or stay near the exit should you need to leave quickly..that is if your son is old enough to be there without your supervision. I get stressed whenever I go to the games, but if my husband is there, I feel like I could just leave if I had to. How about another mom you could confide in? I know....probably not...I don't feel too comfortable with anyone yet to share something so private and embarrassing. My friend does not have IBS but she has an overactive bladder and she always tells me that we think more about it than other people probably even notice. She says to use the excuse that you have an overactive bladder (less embarrasssing) and need to leave periodically. Just an idea.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: I don't get it....line415 new
      #286810 - 10/17/06 03:40 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

My son is a senior in HS. He plays baseball practically year round. I live for this stuff being he is such a key player for the school. I need to see him as much as possible b/c who knows if I will see him play in college. My husband doesnt miss a game so he calls me and gives me play by play updates. No, there isnt an bathroom at most of the fields. when you play out of summer season, the parks lock their doors. Our HS doesnt even have a porta potty. There is a dunkin dounuts 5 blocks away but the car is a nice walk from the field. Terrible feeling.

#286830 - 10/17/06 06:29 PM
Tummyblogger

Reged: 10/02/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Andrew, this is entirely on a For What It's Worth (FWIW) basis. Two things: one is that IBS symptom reactions to food depend on two different variables. One is the gastrocolic reflex, which can produce almost instantaneous bloating and gut distress in reaction to, say, bottled water with citric acid and Splenda added, or to a cup of coffee on an empty stomach. The other reaction is very much delayed, depending on gut motility. Thus your Hungarian dinner was wonderfully enjoyable, and you may not have noticed that you got two or three days of constipation following it, or diarrhea two or three days later. That makes some interpretive sense out the "no rhyme or reason" to the ups and downs of IBS symptoms!

For your diary, keep a record, and also read labels when you can.

--------------------
Tummyblogger, http://www.formytummy.com

Re: I don't get it....line415 new
      #286851 - 10/17/06 08:30 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

So sorry to hear that the situation for the games is so terrible. Isn't it ridiculous???!!! I don't understand...don't people ever have to pee?? Well, I'm sure your son understands that you would be there if you could. It's not as if you're out shopping or something. Maybe if you get more stable, you could take some Immodium the night before and the morning of a major game and muddle through. Good luck.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Thanks, though I may have found the answer I've been looking for. new
      #286970 - 10/18/06 06:18 PM
andreww

I've recently discovered (through my gf and her ulcers) Digestive Enzymes (though she takes Betaine Hydrochloride). It may be too early to say, but they are working miracles right now. I am praying that this is the lifelong solution I've been waiting for. I am finding I can eat almost anything, pop a couple of these and have almost no reaction or a very mild one. Just wanted to share with those still looking for that elusive answer.

Edited by andreww (10/18/06 06:19 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3152

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review