All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Salt?
      #286145 - 10/12/06 09:03 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Has anyone found that very salty foods make their symptoms worse? Lately, I think I've been noticing a correllation, but it could just be my imagination...at first I thought it might just be because of the link between salty and fatty or fried foods, but I notice the same effect if I over-salt meals I make at home, or in safe frozen or canned foods like Amy's soups and rice bowls. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this...thanks!

--------------------
Julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Salt? new
      #286153 - 10/12/06 10:19 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Actually, I have not noticed that "salt" makes my symptoms worse. I only tolerate sea salt, however. Table salt or MSG
makes me feel ill. I also do not tolerate canned foods/processed foods very well at all. Perhaps it is the preservatives in canned foods?

Kate, IBS-D.

#286182 - 10/12/06 11:51 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Yes, I think salt makes things worse because once it dissolves in water it becomes Na+ and Cl- (or whatever else+ and Cl-) and the clorine anions are "too agressive" on our poor tummies.

I've noticed that correlation too.

#286190 - 10/12/06 12:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Not sure this makes sense. The major acid in the stomach's digestive juices is hydrochloric acid (HCl) which dissociates into H+ and Cl-. Stomach acid has a ph of about 1.0 which is quite high acidity. The acid is then neutralized in the duodenum by sodium carbonate from the pancreas.

The small amount of Cl- that is added to the stomach acid from salt will not have much effect on the amount of anions it contains.

On the other hand the sodium cations (Na+) are transported across intestinal wall into the blood stream and the excess Na+ is disposed of by the kidneys which requires water. This is why you experience water retention when you consume too much salt.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#286191 - 10/12/06 12:43 PM
Syl

The consumption of high levels of salt can cause water retention. It is unlikely to act as a IBS trigger. The excess salt can easily be dealt with by drinking more water to help the kidneys dispose of the excess sodium from the salt. I would be more suspicious of things like onions or onion powder that are frequently added to prepared soups and other foods.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#286193 - 10/12/06 12:53 PM
Syl

There is very little difference between sea salt and table salt. Sea salt is formed from the evaporation of ocean water. It contains 98% sodium chloride whereas table salt is more pure and contains 99.9% sodium chloride. The remaining 2 percent in sea salt is trace minerals such as iron, magnesium, sulfur or iodine. Table salt can contain very small amounts of anti-caking ingredients or potassium iodide. It is the additional minerals in sea salt that some claim make the difference in the taste.

I don't experience any problems with table salt or sea salt. On the other hand MSG or other preservatives such as sodium nitrate and nitrite can give me problems.

--------------------

#286194 - 10/12/06 12:58 PM
Jeio

Syl, by that same reasoning, I shouldn't have trouble drinking acidic juices (orange juice in particular) and I know for a fact that I do (and that I am talking about a glass of 250 ml so not too big).

However, as I have said before, I have gastritis. I can't even have ibuprophen or aspirin (acetisalic acid) so I guess, what do I want...

#286201 - 10/12/06 01:12 PM
Syl

Ah - but that is a different kind of acid. The acid in OJ comes primarily from ascorbic acid or vitamin C, an organic acid. This acid is handled in a different manner in the stomach than hydrochloric acid. Not all acids are created equal

--------------------

#286212 - 10/12/06 04:35 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i find that anything too salty gives me a heck of a headache and funny tummy feeling, but affects my head more than anything, especially any canned soup seems to be the worst, even the amy's ones do it to me, but i hear they have reduced sodium ones so i may try and find those.

#286218 - 10/12/06 04:43 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I have not noticed if it affects my bowels but it sure makes me feel funny eating overly salty foods - hate them - probably does have something to do with them aggravating my bowel and it is natures way of keeping me away from them? I really cannot eat any processed foods - even wholesome canned soups do not appeal to me - have to be homemade so I can control the salt. Debbie IBS-C

#286273 - 10/13/06 07:33 AM
Jeio

Interesting. Any recommendations where I can read about this?

Thanks and sorry for the late reply, I am still trying to figure out how to have the boards look and feel so that I am comfortable using them and often miss some messages.

Organic acids new
      #286284 - 10/13/06 08:09 AM
Syl

If you do a Google or Googls scholar search on the keywords/phrases "vitamin c" or "ascorbic acid" and metabolism you will find many references. Also, if you have access to the ISI Web of Science or Web of Knowledge then you can find many research articles. I will look around later today and see if I can locate a general article on the topic.

Here is a general overview on organic acids of which ASA is one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboxylic_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid
And there is a bit on Vitamin C metabolism at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C

--------------------

Try Sea Salt new
      #286285 - 10/13/06 08:18 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have never known salt to have any effect on my IBS even though my IBS is quite severe.

I wonder what kind of salt you use. I've noticed some salt brands contain a lot of additives in the U.S. It could be one or more of those additives that are bothering you.

You might want to go to a health food store and buy some sea salt, which is very good and generally doesn't contain any additives.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4083 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2399

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review