All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
acacia powder confusion
      #285366 - 10/05/06 06:02 PM
wendyloohoo

Reged: 10/05/06

hi there - i've been using the powder for almost a year now, and it (along with watchin gmy diet) has helped tremendously with my diarrhea, which is now amost non-existent. now my problme is that i've frequently constipated (but my diet has not changed)- i've increased the dose of powder accordingly (now up to 4 tsp/day), but it does not seem to be helping much. i thought taking more powder would make me LESS constipated, not more. i'm really confused. what am i missing?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acacia powder confusion new
      #285377 - 10/05/06 08:13 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

acacia is a soluble fiber supplement, which helps bulk up your stool. If you've increased your acacia, but not changed anything else in your diet, that's exactly why you have C. The purpose of the SFS is to allow you to increase the amount of IF you eat. It's the IF that helps you "go". So, if you're constipated, you're not getting enough IF. IBS-Cers tend to need higher doses of acacia than IBS-Ders because we need to consume more IF. So, try upping your IF intake and see if that helps. Does that make any sense?

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: acacia powder confusion new
      #285444 - 10/06/06 01:05 PM
ssr

Reged: 06/29/04
Loc: St. Louis, MO

I'm so glad I saw this! I am just about to start acacia and am pretty scared of it, because other SFS have really 'stopped me up' in the past. So...please confirm...right from the start, I should slowly increase IF at the same time I start acacia, and gradually build up both?? OR...the result will be more C (and I am not completely C, just more spastic and 'incomplete' BM's, which is awful)

thanks so much!!! Please add a little more detail to your explaination of SFS/IF...I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7049 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 582

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review