All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cranberry juice
      #285278 - 10/05/06 06:44 AM
LauraK

Reged: 09/20/06
Loc: South-East UK

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced any bloating problems after drinking cranberry juice?

I went out at the weekend and only ate some plain white bread beforehand and then had a couple of glasses of cranberry juice and got extremely bloated and uncomfortable. Is it possible that juices can have this effect? Not sure if there is a link or if it was just one of those strange things!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cranberry juice new
      #285290 - 10/05/06 07:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Many juices such as Ocean Spray cranberry juices contain HFCS and that can cause bloating. Check the label of juices before you drink them. I have been caught out when I wasn't careful and it is an awful surprise

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#285305 - 10/05/06 09:24 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

What were the ingredients in your plain white bread? Some cheaper brands load up with HFCS and other nastiness.

--------------------
~jules

Timely Question! new
      #285315 - 10/05/06 10:43 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Laura:

Your question is very timely for me because I just tried cranberry juice for the first time about 10 days ago and I've been successfully drinking it ever since. My IBS is very severe so this is pretty much a miracle for me!

The other two posters are correct in warning you to check the ingredients of the juice, as well as the bread you ate.

What I did was to go to the health food store and buy a brand of cranberry juice that was organic (I won't bother mentioning the brand because it's Canadian and probably not available in the U.S.) and that contained nothing else other than cranberry juice.

I didn't drink the juice "straight." I poured about 1/4 cup of cranberry juice and filled up the glass the rest of the way with bottled spring water. I made sure I had some soluble fibre staple (white IBS-safe bread, potatoes or white Basmatic rice) in my system before drinking it. In other words, I didn't have it on an empty stomach.

I started off the cranberry juice at a much tinier amount and slowly built up that amount until I was confident I could tolerate it. I did this over a period of several days.

It has taken me literally years to get up the courage to try cranberry juice and I am delighted at the discovery I can tolerate it!

Belinda

Re: Timely Question! new
      #285346 - 10/05/06 01:13 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I'm glad you are able to enjoy it!! Do you use a sweetener?

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#285384 - 10/06/06 01:01 AM
LauraK

Reged: 09/20/06
Loc: South-East UK

Thanks for the response guys. I had never heard of this HFCS stuff before so didnt realise to look out for it, that could explain things - I shall be on the look out from now on!
I'm not actually sure what the brand of cranberry juice was as I had it in a bar, straight in the glass thinking that it would be the safe option opposed to alcohol, anything fizzy etc..

May just have to stick to plain old bottled water int he future - how very rock n roll!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3059 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1368

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review