All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hello, I'm new
      #284607 - 09/30/06 07:32 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Hi, all

I am new here, I was diagnosed with IBS-C like 2 months ago, after having lost 17 pounds for 2 months and my best friend wad sure I had an inflamatory disease... But, thank the Lord, I did not so here I am

I just found Heather's site (like last week) and have been implementing the diet. It really is funny how little doctors tell you... they leave you on your own to deal And she told me to take tylenol(paracetamol) for the pain, and it is not helping at all...

But Heather's diet helps! Although I had to give up dairy, which has always been my favourite food of all foods, it seems to help for the pain so I think I'm going to stick to this. Thanks Heather, this is really amazing!

So...

Thanks for all the information and for posting recipes and what not, guys! I love this place, although I am still in the "getting to know it"-"reading it all out" phase (don't know if I'm ever going to get past it, it's so huge )

Thanks
--J

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello, I'm new new
      #284608 - 09/30/06 08:08 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi-
I'm new here too! Diagonised for sure a month ago with IBS-C. I have been on Heather's diet for a month and a half, and now have more "good" days than "bad" days. I am also on the hynotherapy tapes.
You're right about the Dr's not giving any information. Mine was glad the I found this site. She said that she wished more of her patients would seek out help on their own.
Hope to hear more for you

Snookie

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#284609 - 09/30/06 08:13 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

Hi. Welcome I'm glad yur feeling better. I am c but also have well maybe some other condition still on tests. Could you share a sample day and also the symtoms that have lessened with no dairy etc. Thank you so much.

#284613 - 09/30/06 08:19 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Welcome Jeio.

#284621 - 09/30/06 08:52 AM
Jeio

Well,

I used to have a whole lot more of bloating, gass and general pain.

I don't think I was lactose intollerant, but stopping the dairy did stop the "out of the blue" cramping attacks I was having.

What I do during the day is, I generally eat oatmeal in the morning (and i don't put milk in it any more... I have to use soymilk... which tastes horrible, I have to find something else). Then I have a snack between breakfast and lunch and the snack is either pretzels, or something like that. Then I have lunch, which might be a bread (white bread) sandwich, or some other snacky thing. Then i have a banana for afternoon snack and I have dinner with my husband. Dinner is made of cooked food -- rice, or potatoes with something else, sometimes peas, sometimes ground meat (a very small amount), all 'bad' foods but in small amounts and with plenty of staples

Most of the time, I cook things that specific of our native cuisine (I'm not american, I was born in Eastern Europe) which happens to be very IBS friendly, as I am reading from Heather's site. So I might be posting some recipes on the board after I try them all out, and if you guys are interested

With the no-dairy diet most of my symptoms have lessened -- the pain has become more controlled, gass and bloating has lessened. I guess dairy has been a big trigger for me.

Hope that helps and you feel better soon.
--J

#284622 - 09/30/06 09:12 AM
kalosis

Thanks. I have another? were you c too.I think I need to stop the dairy as well. I too think soy milk is ooo but my friend said it just takes adjusting.I know there are different brands too. Also rice milk,almond milk,but I heard it has less protein. I just don't get how eating so much refined stuff like white bread helps with c? I also have the bloating and cramping too.Thanks again

#284629 - 09/30/06 09:52 AM
Jeio

I take miralax for the constipation.

No, eating starchy food does not help with constipation, you are right, but eating whole wheat kills me, so what can I do?

My mother suggested drinking a glass of warm water with honey first thing in the morning, that would help with the C... I haven't tried it yet, but her friend has and it has helped.

The thing with IBS is you just CAN'T eat the things they usually give people for constipation. It's that you have to eat something, so you eat what you can. I can't loose more weight, I'm almost underweight and I don't have regular periods... so I am doing my best to eat nutritious food. And if white bread is the only thing I can take, then so be it. Living free of pain is mor important.

#284632 - 09/30/06 10:02 AM
kalosis

You have a good outlook. I too need to gain weight and need to focus on more what feels good in my stomach. Anyways white bread provides energy and that is the most important. I just was confused about the c part and meds don't help me. The cramping though is ick.

#284633 - 09/30/06 10:06 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

No, eating starchy food does not help with constipation, you are right, but eating whole wheat kills me, so what can I do?

My mother suggested drinking a glass of warm water with honey first thing in the morning, that would help with the C... I haven't tried it yet, but her friend has and it has helped.

Fruits and vegetables. At every meal. I know that we get pounded into our head that insoluble fiber means bran and whole wheat, but those are probably the most challenging sources. Getting fruits and veggies at every meal will help with C and give you a lot of nutrients you should get anyway.

Cooking/chopping/pureeing will make the IF easier to handle. And note that you still have to get your soluble fiber (SF): that is what will keep the IF from cramping you up and making your C worse!

--AC

#284647 - 09/30/06 11:22 AM
Jeio

Yes, that thing with pureeing still confuses me. Pureeing probably doesn't remove the IF from the food, so how does it help exactly?

Thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1470

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review