All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Will I ever enjoy food again?
      #284554 - 09/29/06 02:39 PM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

I've been following Heather's diet for a few months now and while I do think I'm better I feel like I just don't enjoy food and meals anymore. Anyone else?

I feel *too* focused on meals now and worry about going out to eat, traveling, etc. I was out of town this past weekend and didn't eat enough b/c the food choices just weren't good. I was so hungry!! I'm pretty stable and just wonder if I need to start trying more new foods now. I feel like my diet is very boring and not varied enough nutritionally.

Anyone else feel like they're restricting themselves maybe too much b/c they fear flare-ups?

Sorry to ramble

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes, you will new
      #284569 - 09/29/06 03:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hang in there! It takes time - both to stabilize, and to get back in the habit of eating without overthinking it - but you will get there.

After a few months, yes, you should have been adding more foods quite a long time ago. Make yourself a goal to add a "new" food to your diet every other day... and make them good... sources of insoluble fiber, a new seasoning, something prepared a different way. Eating well does NOT have to be boring or nutritionally devoid - quite to the contrary! I'm eating better, and a better variety of food, than I ever have in my life!

Just remember to start with smallish portions - you don't want to over do it - and if it's IF, do eat your SF first.

Eating out is hard even when you ARE back to eating somewhat normally. You can try a board search for restaurant food, and see what others have tried. Sushi, believe it or not, is one of the safest options out there, once you can handle small amounts of raw vegetables. Some of us can eat Indian, if you go with tandoori or something else that isn't drowned in a sauce. Pasta and plain sauce is an option, as are grilled chicken and fish, baked potatoes, and steamed vegetables.

Anyway, hang in there. It gets easier, I promise.

Initially, I felt the same way... new
      #284579 - 09/29/06 05:41 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

...but once I got more comfortable with the diet and what foods I could eat, I didn't have so much trouble.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Will I ever enjoy food again? new
      #284610 - 09/30/06 08:16 AM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

Thank you for the support

I know that alot of my fears stem from the anxiety that flare-ups cause for me (and alot of others on this board). It's a catch-22 sometimes...I know I'm better after making some changes to my diet but yet I still miss the days when I ate anything (guess I was ignorant!) even though I was having D often and really frustrated.

Like anything it takes time to adjust. I have made it a goal to add back more foods again. I'm tolerating even some unsafe foods (in moderation) so I know I'm much better these days.

It's so wonderful to have a place to go where others understand what all this is like!

Re: Will I ever enjoy food again? new
      #284617 - 09/30/06 08:31 AM
kalosis

Reged: 08/20/06

I can really relate. I need to gain weight and have so many stomach and food problems where I litterally can't leave the house from the cramping and pain. I'm c. With all that though I have a hard time not cheating and eating the wrong foods. I'm finally realising its not worth it but also to stay in the moment. Worring about what may happen will only work yourself up. Try to remind yourself places offer a range of food items. Take care.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1062

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review