All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Triphala
      #284475 - 09/29/06 09:39 AM
sybd

Reged: 02/07/05

Supporting a Healthy GI

Gastrointestinal health is an important, if often unmentioned, aspect of overall health. While bowel function may not be near the top of your list of priorities when it comes to health, it should be - irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer are all serious issues. To help keep your bowel healthy, try the following supplements. Each can be found in health-food stores or at your local grocer.

Psyllium. This dried seed husk derived from the plantain does double duty: it can be used as a laxative when you experience constipation, but may also prevent diarrhea by adding bulk to your stool. It is helpful for those with IBS, and is good for general bowel maintenance. Always take psyllium with water.
Probiotics. If you plan on traveling, are taking antibiotics, have slow digestion or experience excessive gas, probiotic supplements may help by promoting healthy levels of friendly bacteria. Choose a probiotic supplement containing one billion bacteria or more per standard dose, and always take them with food.
Triphala. This ayurvedic herbal mixture is designed for ongoing use. Triphala promotes regular bowel function through its mild laxative properties. Consider using triphala (capsules only) for 10 weeks, then taking a two-week break.

Found this at Dr. Weil's website.
Anybody hear of triphala?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Triphala new
      #284530 - 09/29/06 01:16 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I would take Dr. Weil with a grain of salt.

That said, triphala has come up here quite a lot in the past - you'll likely find the information you're seeking by doing a board search, all boards, no time limit. The search function is at the top of the page.

Laxatives are, as a whole, discouraged with the IBS diet - they might help you short-term, but ultimately they'll cause dependency and screw up your system even worse. My only experience with triphala is a friend who tried it and it didn't do anything for her at all.

#284585 - 09/29/06 06:42 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

so, the fact that he advocates psyllium is not so good, however triphala can be very helpful to C'ers, it helps regulates peristalsis of the intestines, i used to take fibersmart and it had triphala in it and it worked nicely, you can find it in capsules at the HFS, i think abigail used to take it. I would say give it a whirl if you are C, it is quite safe.

#284823 - 10/01/06 08:31 PM
sybd

I take Metamucil and it really helps for me....do not get the gas many of you say. Think after awhile your system adjusts to it. It really has helped me! I am back and forth C & D but mainly it is the peristalsis that affects me.
Either go too much or have difficulty going. But I do have a bowel movement every day. Besides watching my diet, Metamucil seems to stabalize me. Tend to forget when I am feeling good and then I lapse and then the IBS flare returns.
I only brought up triphala for those whom are severely constipated. Did not realize there were so many posts on this. Do not check in frequently. And when I find new news I want to let everyone know.

Edited by sybd (10/01/06 08:42 PM)

#284849 - 10/02/06 06:44 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do you take triphala, sybd? Is it safe for long term use? What if you haven't taken a break for 2 weeks, but have continuously taken it? If I do try to take a break, it seems like I get more constipated. But I don't want to do any permanent harm.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#284851 - 10/02/06 06:49 AM
sybd

No, I don't take it. Just came across it on Dr. Weil's website and wanted to pass it on to those who are severely constipated and wish to try it.

PS new
      #284853 - 10/02/06 06:50 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How many mg did Dr. Weil suggest to take? I've read anywhere from 500mg to 4000mg.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: PS new
      #284855 - 10/02/06 07:18 AM
sybd

Here is his answer:
The bowel regulator I recommend most frequently is triphala, a mixture of three fruits from India from the Ayurvedic tradition, available in capsule form at health food stores. Follow the dosage directions on the label. You can take it regularly; its benefits accumulate the longer you stay on it. A low dose of magnesium glycinate may also be helpful for chronic constipation.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3774 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1372

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review