Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
habits to help 'C'/spastic
      #284446 - 09/29/06 07:47 AM
ssr

Reged: 06/29/04
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Hi all,
I am not new, but haven't participated much at all. Here is my big question: have had IBS for 30 years,I am not exactly 'C'--actually more spastic, go multiple times(but is never D), but always needs to be instigated by food or drinking something hot. All these years, I have induced a BM in the morning but drinking hot tea/eating...sometimes many cups just to go once, sometimes go several times (feels incomplete each time)with hot and/or food in between. Sometimes it doesn't work and then I am worse off. I wonder if I have trained my system to expect this and thus it doesn't know how to go 'on its own' anymore. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Its ridiculously time-consuming, not reliable, makes traveling a bear, and is the epitomy of hypervigilence that probably doesn't help. If anyone has opinions about this I would be so grateful.

ALSO: has anyone tried methylcellulose powder as fiber? OR castor oil packs (supposed to be good for 'C'/spasms/gas)

thanks to all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: habits to help 'C'/spastic new
      #284455 - 09/29/06 08:37 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Actually, from what little I know of non-IBSers bathroom habits (they're suprisingly reticent on this), I think going in the morning after first food may be somewhat common. Your digestive system has been asleep just like you have, it yawns and stretches, you throw food down there and it snaps to attention. Once it rumbles into action, it gets stuff moving the whole length of the assembly line and there you are - in the bathroom.

Before I started the EFI Diet I was in and out of the bathroom all day. Once I got onto a heavily SF Diet I ended up kind of where you are: eat, go, wait 15 minutes, go, wait 10 minutes, go, wait 5 minutes, go, go again, finally done. It's maddening. Two things helped me with this pattern. First, time on the EFI Diet - I know I won't "recover" from IBS but the longer my gut goes without being in an uproar the better it seems able to regulate itself. Second, an SFS. That seems to produce a smoother, more continuous, less stop-and-start pattern. Plus it really helped with that feeling of "incomplete evacuation".

If you're not following the EFI Diet I'd give it a try along with an SFS. If you're already following the EFI Diet and taking an SFS, try tilting more toward SF and SFS late in the day - it might make the mornings a little smoother.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#284550 - 09/29/06 02:24 PM
ssr

Thanks so much, Sand---were/are you D or C? or both? For SFS, do you use Acacia? (and I do know we're all different) And, by 'time on the diet'---do you mean just giving it more time? Your thoughts are good, but just for my clarification---makes sense to me that the body is ready to go in the morning, its just that I feel I have been 'forcing' it with the tea, etc...not giving it a chance to develop its own rythym. Please let me know what you think about that.

THANKS again, and I will get in the swing of how the postings work...I thought mine had dissapeared and thats why I posted again.

#284606 - 09/30/06 07:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Thanks so much, Sand---were/are you D or C? or both?
D. It's under my avatar below my location. It's helpful to put that info either there or in your signature line.
For SFS, do you use Acacia?
Yes. It's made a world of difference for me.
(and I do know we're all different)
Actually not really a big fan of that theory, at least as it applies to IBS and the EFI Diet.
And, by 'time on the diet'---do you mean just giving it more time?
Yes. I felt relief almost immediately, felt pretty good in about 3 months, good in about 6 months, and normal in about 9. (At which point I felt so good I immediately began eating off program and had a terrible setback. So don't do that once you get stable.)
Your thoughts are good, but just for my clarification---makes sense to me that the body is ready to go in the morning, its just that I feel I have been 'forcing' it with the tea, etc...not giving it a chance to develop its own rythym. Please let me know what you think about that.
I suppose it's possible. I don't know what your life is like in terms of working or *having* to be somewhere at certain times and bathroom availability, but I'd say it would be worth a try to figure out what you want you morning food routine to be (mine is hot tea, 15 minutes later applesauce with 1 tsp Acacia, 15 minutes later breakfast) and stick to it for a while. See if your body will adjust to you rather than the other way around.

THANKS again, and I will get in the swing of how the postings work...I thought mine had dissapeared and thats why I posted again.
Ah, then I'm sorry for the (hopefully mild) lecture. You seemed far too calm for someone who'd lost a post.

Check out this old post for some tips on finding lost posts.

HTH. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#284926 - 10/02/06 04:10 PM
ssr

Thanks so much once again! No offense taken regarding the 'lecture'!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7083 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1022

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review